Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I've disconnected my Phone Answering Machine!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I've disconnected my Phone Answering Machine!
    Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 12:30pm
I came home from volunteering at my Church's Vacation Bible School and discovered that the inbox was stuffed with 15 messages, ALL of which were POLITICAL ROBOCALLS. Angry Because of this I have decided to DISCONNECT my Answering Machine from now until November 7. Fortunately my Caller ID works, and my phone has a display that lists the last 25 callers, so if I see a number that belongs to someone I know nested in the sea of "Toll-Free Number", "Unknown Caller" "Private Caller", Wireless Call" and the like I can get back to them. They can fuggadaboudt reaching me via Radio or TV as well. CDs and DVDs RULE!!! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 2:37pm
I never get any political calls.  Most of my unsolicited phone calls come from people who want to clean my carpets, service my heating/air-conditioning, lower the interest rates on my imaginary mortgage, and offer me credit cards.

There's one company that wants me to take a 30-second politically-oriented survey, but it just seems to be subterfuge for an attempt to sell me a timeshare or something by offering me some 3-day cruise as a reward for participating in their quasi-political pseudo-survey.

Many calls I just don't bother answering.  But with my caller-ID readout, I can often look up the offending phone number on the 'net.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 3:15pm
I get calls from some VOIP (internet based telephone) company in which the sound quality is so bad I can barely undersand WTF they're saying.

Once I started yelling into the phone... "WHAT????? I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD  YOU'RE SAYING!!!! THE SOUND QUALITY SUCKS!!!! WHY WOULD I BUY A PHONE SERVICE WITH SUCH SUCK-ASS SOUND QUALITY???????"

As she started to talk again, I hung up on her.

I've taken political surveys before though. I don't mind that so much.

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 7:53pm
Honestly, I keep my ringer off and my answering machine turned off as well, unless I'm expecting a phone call. I get bombarded with telemarketers, political robo-calls, auto-warranty and credit card interest rate scams...I don't even own a damn credit card, nor does my mother. Then, I made the mistake of asking for information from an online college that gives their admissions consultants a commission for every person they admit, so I'm getting constant calls from them as well.

It seems like landlines aren't even used for genuine communication much anymore. It's just another way for people to advertise their stupid sh*t to you and try to scam you out of your money.
"Sometimes we live no particular way but our own."

Like westerns? Check out my recently published e-book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KXLXA9Y
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 11:25pm
I just use my http://google.com/voice. I have all my house & cell number and just give out that voice mail number to companies and people. Only true friends and family shall get my cell and/or house number.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic