Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ICEBERG!!! Titanic hit you and sank!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ICEBERG!!! Titanic hit you and sank!!!
    Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 9:35pm
Donathon inspired.
Sponsored Links

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 10:01pm
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 10:12pm
I can't find it, Jimbo. Place sexy iceberg gif here.
Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2...Say what?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 6:53pm
Nevermind Jimbo, I found it through a random search.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 4:33am
When you post a thread here on CIH you never know where people are going to take it. LOL
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 4:14am
I remembered reading that the only reason that the Titanic even hit the blasted iceberg was because the crew was rushing to get the Titanic to New York City in record time. If this is true, the crew were dummies!
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D. :D $608 for her brother's scooter. Fair is fair my ass. Being tough on Public Access TV is priceless.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

I remembered reading that the only reason that the Titanic even hit the blasted iceberg was because the crew was rushing to get the Titanic to New York City in record time. If this is true, the crew were dummies!
Yes, Donna. If you were alive in 1912, or any other year you would have a better grasp on reality.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

Ah yes, 20/20 hindsight, ain't it great?

BTW they didn't have radar or satelittes at that time so they weren't aware of the iceberg until it was too late! In other words they weren't dummies just uninformed.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 5:07am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

When you post a thread here on CIH you never know where people are going to take it. LOL

Sometimes people stuff it in their pants and try to sneak out the door with it...  LOL
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 6:25am
There was also the case that - for aesthetics (as well as cost-cutting, I imagine) the propellers on the Titanic were way too tiny for a ship that size. Even though the iceberg was seen, the tiny propellers couldn't produce enough power to turn the ship in the time necessary to evade the iceberg.

There was also cost-cutting on the riveting and some other things that impaired the durability of the hulls.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 7:42pm
It had a rudder too. Poor decision making at it's worst.

Titanic's 3 anchors had a combined weight of 31 tons. More than 3 million rivets were used to build the Titanic. "Triple screw" - 3 propellers. The 2 outer propellers had a diameter of 23 feet and the center propeller had a diameter of 17 feet.

There were several icebergs reported, the seas were calm which makes it more difficult to see them.
They were going too fast with a ship that did not maneuver well.

Another group of scientist recovered pieces of the hull and tested the steel, carbon content can determine whether the steel is brittle and/or the right application for a ships hull.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 5:13pm
I'm so glad I was able to inspire a riveting conversation about an event of 1912.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 5:51pm

I'm so glad I was able to inspire a riveting conversation about an event of 1912.
LOLLOL
Since it was "Donathan Inspired", you have to expect for something to go haywire. Wink

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 6:28pm

Ha!

Wink
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 1:55am
Riveting!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic