Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I wish we could block certain commercials.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wish we could block certain commercials.
    Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 11:43pm

I had a pretty far-fetched idea today... What if we could block specific commercials from appearing on our TV's?

Think of it... every commercial made around the world would have its own code number, a universal number that would work on any TV, or any satellite receiver. Then when a commercial that you don't like and never wish to see again comes on, you press a button that says... I don't know, "Ad code" or something, and it'll punch in that code number and save it into a memory card or something like that in your TV or receiver, and it will block the ad from ever appearing on your screen again! Dang, if I could invent something like this, I would.

Yeah I know this will never come close to happening... but a man can dream, can't he? Unhappy
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 11:50pm

JJJ - not really a bad idea. Certainly doable - even adaptable to a TIVO; there would be an FCC 'War', I bet....

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 12:00am
After you blocked it, what would you see in it's place? What if, during commercial breaks, you could click a scroll down menu of commercials to choose from....Cool
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 12:16am
There are delimeters within datastreams and signals; plenty could be done here (and has been) - or, well - maybe just 'blank it out'.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 12:57am
To tell the truth, I'd rather see a black screen than a commercial I hate. LOL Or perhaps a logo of whatever channel you're watching. If I were to choose between watching a morphing NBC peacock logo and... say, the Freecreditreport.com singer, I'd go with the former. Every time.

Who knows, maybe something like this could finally get the advertising execs' attention, since every other way of complaining seems to have no effect. Maybe they could receive reports saying that x-amount of viewers are blocking this particular commercial. That could make them realize "Hey, these people don't like our commercial? We should get rid of it!" Perhaps that could pave the way for ads that are more... I don't know... tolerable?

Anyway, the bottom line is this... I'm sick and tired of lousy commercials being crammed down my throat. Like... I already know Planters Peanuts exists. I don't need to reminded that they exist by having a vision of a fugly woman rubbing herself with Planters Peanuts being shoved in my face, 20 times a day! Dead
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 2:42am

If I had any Political Influence I'd attempt to have the "V-Chip" Law amended to include Commercials as well as Programming. I find it outrageous that Commercials for Products such as Sex Pills, Bodily Function Products and the like are often played at times when Children are certainly watching (And even during Children's Shows!) These kind of ads need to be relagated to times when Children are NOT watching, or if the Advertisers insist they be shown at all hours then people should have the option to "Black Out" these Commercials before they come on!

Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 3:28am
WinkReg...this is REALLY  YOUR arena...
Nautigal View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 4:40am
You know, it would be tremendously helpful to advertisers and ad agencies if we had something like this! They would be able to tell which ads were effective and popular, and which ads were so bad that nobody was willing to allow them on their TVs. If we could just program a selection of ads that we were willing to allow, then the TV could play from that selection to fill a given commercial break.

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 5:23am
Let's put the C-Chip in TV's!
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 6:47am
TripleJ, I think you're on to something here!  Now, if there were a way that each time an ad was blocked by your TV, your computer then sent an automated message to the product sponsor telling them WHY you have blocked them!!
Love endures all.
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 9:59am
I've thought this before as well, but Networks would never do it, simply because that's how they make money. I have read articles and seen news reports where, since the release of the DVR, advertisers have noticed a big drop in ad viewings. To combat this, they are putting more product placements in shows, and they have even talked bout making product pop ups show right on top of your favorite programing. I am sick of these bastards ramming sh*t down my throat!! And I know ad execs look at this site because it's highly popular and it readily shows up in search engines! So, if you are an ad man and you see this, If I EVER see one of your pop ups while I am watching my shows, I"LL NEVER BUY YOUR PRODUCTS YOU PUSHY ASSHOLE!!!! BANK ON IT!!!

Anyway guys, Get yourself a DVR and record all your favorite shows, Then you won't be tied to a clock, or schedule and you can zip past all these piece of sh*t ads!! I love them sooooooo much I have two!! LOL I actually haven't seen a lot of the ads you guys discuss here since I got these!! I usually have to watch them on YouTube. LOL!!! I am liking my DVRs!!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 10:14am
I have thought about an ad-block for the TV just like, what I have on Firefox
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 10:55pm
It actually shouldn't be so complicated, I'm actually thinking of a back screen mounted in front of your screen that could come down via remote and could have things projected on it of your choice, something like a mix between a projector screen and the scenery thing from Back to the Future Part II LOLCool

the technology is basically there I've seen it used a lot in college.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic