Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Phone 4 Martin Scorcese

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Phone 4 Martin Scorcese
    Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 9:25am
I didn't realize this was famous movie director Martin Scorcese. I thought it was just some obnoxious old dude New Yorker who knows everything and his opinion is the only one that counts. I also despise the newest advertising offense/crutch; An I Phone, GPS or other mechanical device acting like a real person talking on a commercial. This is so cliched and overused and already has worn out it's welcome. Why would a rich movie director schlep around in a New York taxi when he could go in a limo? 

I approve this message.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 12:52pm

.......Direct Link To This Post......

Can be found by using....Forum Search
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

.......Direct Link To This Post......

Can be found by using....Forum Search

Not if you spell Scorsese as Scorcese.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 4:55pm
I know he's a little old man but he acts like a "little old lady," fretting and jumping from topic to topic, and the tone of his voice.  I was kind of embarrassed for him.  Embarrassed
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by zippyjet zippyjet wrote:

I didn't realize this was famous movie director Martin Scorcese. I thought it was just some obnoxious old dude New Yorker who knows everything and his opinion is the only one that counts. I also despise the newest advertising offense/crutch; An I Phone, GPS or other mechanical device acting like a real person talking on a commercial. This is so cliched and overused and already has worn out it's welcome. Why would a rich movie director schlep around in a New York taxi when he could go in a limo? 

He wouldn't. Just one more aspect of the ad that makes it even phonier & more detestable.

Apparently, he wants to be portrayed as a "regular guy".

"Hey.... I'm a mega wealthy celebrity movie director, but I'm also a regular New Yorker who takes a cab when I go somewhere. Except for chic parties & media events that real regular New Yorkers couldn't get within a thousand feet of."

What I can't figure out, is why someone like him would even do a commercial.

Does he really need more money???

Or does he just want to "hip up" his image with young people as being modern, tech-savvy & cool?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

He wouldn't. Just one more aspect of the ad that makes it even phonier & more detestable.

Apparently, he wants to be portrayed as a "regular guy".

"Hey.... I'm a mega wealthy celebrity movie director, but I'm also a regular New Yorker who takes a cab when I go somewhere. Except for chic parties & media events that real regular New Yorkers couldn't get within a thousand feet of."

What I can't figure out, is why someone like him would even do a commercial.

Does he really need more money???

Or does he just want to "hip up" his image with young people as being modern, tech-savvy & cool?

Besides my dislike of the Yankees this character does little to promote the likeability of New Yorkers. This just bolsters the negative stereotypes of New Yorkers. This is how many of us in "fly over land" think of New Yorkers as know it all, pushy and whining. And, I'm a Baltimorean and we are only 4 hours away but NYC might as well be 4 light years away from us.

I approve this message.
Bedrocker7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedrocker7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 8:16pm
I agree that Scorsese acts like a know it all yet that's kinda his personality. I've seen him act in a number of cameos he comes across as a straight shooting NYer. The talking gadgets you speak of?- well that's the selling point of the iPhone 4S so they're going to pound us over the head with that until the iPhone 5 comes out next month.
Annoyedalot View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annoyedalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 8:19pm
I had no idea who this was either.  I still don't understand the joke in the John Malkovich(sp?)
ad for the same product.
Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 9:05pm
I don't understand why nobody recognizes this guy as Scorsese. Not trying to be a smart ass here, but it looks just like Scorsese, ad sounds like him; it's not as if he's in disguise or camo. Just wonderin'...as for the taxi vs. limo, well, don't a lot of NY'ers take taxis or even public transit because of the horrendous traffic in NYC?  Disapprove
The rich and famous celebrities who do commercials IN the US don't bother me as much as the ones who won't do commercials in the US for fear of "blowing their image", but don't hesitate to do them abroad. THAT is me is the height of hubris and smugness. First offender in my book is George Clooney, who's done probably more than a dozen. The fact that they think it beneath them to do US commercials blows their image for me right then and there. Confused
Just for the record, I'm not a NY'er, not fond of their "better-than-everybody-else" attitude, and definitely NOT into all this "high-end" technology. I don't even text on my cell phone! Smile
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 10:00pm

Maybe this is some sort of nod to Taxi Driver, one of Scorsese's early movies.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Maybe this is some sort of nod to Taxi Driver, one of Scorsese's early movies.

I'd like to see one for Raging Bull, where the Siri user (not Martin) gets the sh*t beat out of him by a boxer.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 11:27pm

Originally posted by Stacy Stacy wrote:

I don't understand why nobody recognizes this guy as Scorsese...

Absolutely, Stacy.

"'Missing Martin" sounds like a bad take on a bad remake of a horrible story originally named "Missing 'The Donald'"; yes, I'm making light of how recognizable Scorsese has become over time - seems almost as much as Trump.

And, No...although very familiar with, and life-time lovers of 'The City', we also are casual visitors, these days.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
dethklokg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dethklokg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 8:29am
second ago at 8:26am

All I can say is wtf in additon to this new skethers ad that makes it look women will throw them selves at you if you buy a pair hideous shoes. I hate the scorcese siri commercial its a freaking cell phone not the cure to aids or a person shutup u ass we all know its no rick. And the retarded guy in the blue suit for nfl network what the hell does that guy have to do with football?
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Stacy Stacy wrote:

I don't understand why nobody recognizes this guy as Scorsese. Not trying to be a smart ass here, but it looks just like Scorsese, ad sounds like him; it's not as if he's in disguise or camo. Just wonderin'...as for the taxi vs. limo, well, don't a lot of NY'ers take taxis or even public transit because of the horrendous traffic in NYC?  Disapprove
The rich and famous celebrities who do commercials IN the US don't bother me as much as the ones who won't do commercials in the US for fear of "blowing their image", but don't hesitate to do them abroad. THAT is me is the height of hubris and smugness. First offender in my book is George Clooney, who's done probably more than a dozen. The fact that they think it beneath them to do US commercials blows their image for me right then and there. Confused
Just for the record, I'm not a NY'er, not fond of their "better-than-everybody-else" attitude, and definitely NOT into all this "high-end" technology. I don't even text on my cell phone! Smile

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about these famous producers. I wouldn't know most of them even if I tripped over them. The only one I know is John Waters and he's laid back and way cool. Waters doesn't take himself too seriously like Scorsese and those other elite New Yorkers and Hollywood types. 
I approve this message.
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Bedrocker7 Bedrocker7 wrote:

I agree that Scorsese acts like a know it all yet that's kinda his personality. I've seen him act in a number of cameos he comes across as a straight shooting NYer. The talking gadgets you speak of?- well that's the selling point of the iPhone 4S so they're going to pound us over the head with that until the iPhone 5 comes out next month.

I realize the commercial is for a technical gadget but other companies are using the talking I Phone or GPS as an advertising crutch or gimmick. One of those obnoxious He went to Jared commercials uses a nasal GPS lady. 
I approve this message.
Jkf View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 1:32pm
If you watch a local baseball game on any of the Fox Sports regionals, Root Sports, etc. this ad is played every single break. Sometimes, it is shown up to 30 times an evening. Talking about beating something into the ground! Is that Rick? No that's not Rick!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 1:54pm

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about these famous producers. I wouldn't know most of them even if I tripped over them. The only one I know is John Waters and he's laid back and way cool. Waters doesn't take himself too seriously like Scorsese and those other elite New Yorkers and Hollywood types. 

Waters is funny.  I'm not even necessarily talking about his movies.  In interviews or monologues, he's a crack-up.

"I wish something on TV would trouble me.  Then, maybe I would watch it."

I wouldn't recognize Scorsese either.  To me, most producers and directors are about as recognizable as this week's celebrities.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 3:37pm
I have to say, I absolutely love Martin Scorcese and have seen quite a few interviews with him. This commercial is exactly how he is.  I could see how it would be odd for anyone who doesn't really know who he is or heard him talk. Kinda like if I didn't know who Woody Allen was and I started to listen to him I'd think "Who is this neurotic guy?"
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 3:42pm
WEYAS RICK?!

I think Rick has to accept the ping to be found on his phone, it wouldn't be instant like that. If he's using the find my friends app, which I don't use so I don't know. Either way it's exaggerated.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I have to say, I absolutely love Martin Scorcese and have seen quite a few interviews with him. This commercial is exactly how he is.  I could see how it would be odd for anyone who doesn't really know who he is or heard him talk. Kinda like if I didn't know who Woody Allen was and I started to listen to him I'd think "Who is this neurotic guy?"

Goodfellas was on AMC last night with Story Notes, which are facts and whatnots about the cast, scenes, etc.  I knew his mom was in it, but didn't realize his dad was as well.  He was the guy in prison prepping the sauce (he said he was putting veal, beef, & pork in it) while Paulie was slicing the garlic.

I was also surprised the Henry/Karen Copacabana 1 shot scene got done in only 8 takes.  I figured the take count would've been a lot higher since so much could go wrong and everything had to go right for the 3 minute shot.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 4:14pm
^ I love GoodFellas. I didn't know htat was his dad in the prison scene, either! Very cool.

I knew his mother was in it "Go get yourself a nice girl!"
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

^ I love GoodFellas. I didn't know htat was his dad in the prison scene, either! Very cool.

I knew his mother was in it "Go get yourself a nice girl!"

"I get a nice one almost every night, Ma!" LOL

Another thing Story Notes said is that pretty much that whole super-early breakfast scene was improvised, which is really impressive.
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 5:32pm
"Is that Rick? No that's not Rick!"

The funny thing is, I hear this ad all the time, but never look up to see what's going on. I always assumed this was Apple's way of showing that Siri is not perfect and doesn't always give you the info you expect.

Finally watched the ad and he's talking about the guy outside the cab window, not Siri's result. Bummer, because these "assistant" programs misinterpret 90% of your commands.
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 3:55am
I love Goodfellas. It is a stylish movie. I should dig it up and watch it again.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 4:48am
I don't get how this is supposed to make me want to buy an iPhone.  Actually, each commercial made forces me further and further away from an iPhone purchase. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic