Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need a job.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a job.
    Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 9:03pm
The tiny company I work for can no longer afford to stay in business.

I'm in Chicago. Looking for full time, $55K-$65K with benefits.

Help!

Sponsored Links

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 9:13pm
Oh, man, Nathan, I'm so sorry to hear that.  I wish the month of September would just hurry up and go away.  So many people I know (hubby and I included) are going through some type of sh*t right now.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 9:19pm
A shame you can't do something on your own.
Working for others these days is getting less and less secure.
We reward flakey people and let good people go.

Seems starting a business is just as risky as keeping a steady, well paying job.
I bet you have some great ideas in that head of yours.
We already know you know how to strike gold. Who'd a thunk it that a little commentary 10 years ago would grow in to what we see today.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 9:20pm
Nathan,

At least you're young.  Big%20smile

Good luck...
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 9:27pm
That is truly rotton Nathan! You are an articulate and highly creative person, I've no doubt you'll find something.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 9:41pm
OH CRAP - Nathan, you'll find something. You know the old saying "You can't keep a good man down."

Come to New York! Get a really good job and hire me as your assistant.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 2:51am
Shame to hear that N.
I too expect my place to close up soon.
We had a round of lay offs this past spring and now we aren't paying our bills.
When my paycheck bounces, so will I.

I wish you and your wife well.
was feeling nostalgic
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 3:24am
Best of luck finding something. Things will get better before too long. Even if you have to do something else in the interim, I'm sure you'll manage & will eventually find something in your field again. You seem like a resourceful person.

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 3:48am
In the meantime, of course, go into the "very thrifty" mode.  And enjoy it.  It really does have its own rewards.

And best of luck!

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 3:58am
Free-lance.  Start your own business.  Add "Stud Muffin" to your resume.   The latter will at least get someone's attention!  Wink   Good luck!!
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 4:08am
Nathan, you know you'll be in my prayers. 
Love endures all.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 4:27am
You could always go this route if it came down to it....

Put that ellipse on your forehead to good use!!! Wink 

Besides, it could lead to a whole new subforum here.... "Forehead Ads You Hate". Big%20smile

Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 5:59am
You could start an ANTI-Commercial company!! LOL ILM I am sure needs people, but they are in Cali. I always thought that's where you hailed from.
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 7:10am
Nathan, I'm so sorry.  You, too, shadow.  It sucks. 
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 2:41pm
Nathan, I am so sad to read about your employment situation.

My own son Nat works in the same field in Chicago, and I'd hate if he lost his job because of a situation he had no control over.

As Madawee said in her message, perhaps you could re-locate to an area that has a higher job market in your field.

Perhaps NY, or Atlanta, or even Southern California.

I know you'd hate to leave Chi-town, but if the market is slow (thanks to our current fiscal state.....and those damned republicans who put us here), maybe you could find work elsewhere.

Best of luck, you know you have many friends who care right here.
One man gathers what another man spills
msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 6:42pm
I don't know how much of a long shot this would be for ya but it appears that you have had a couple of television spots.  You should try to get a show on E.  I would imagine with all the crap on television now, anything you could come up with would be sooo much better.  Hell, they have shows devoted to commercials already so why not try to capitalize on what you do so well.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 9:01pm
There's quite a bit of work in that field right here in Orlando, Fl.

Disney, Universal Studios, etc.

There's also the trade show exhibit industry which I used to work in. That is very big in Chicago.

As a matter of fact, Exhibit Group Giltspur, the biggest exhibit company in the country is located right in Chicago.

They employ all kinds of digital design people. Who knows.... maybe they have an opening for something you do.

ozric1847 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozric1847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 3:14pm
I got a BS in Business in Computer Information Systems in 2006 from a university and I work at Walmart.  Things could be worse, you could be me.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 6:38pm
Have you considered doing freelance work for any newspapers or magazines in the area? That's how a good friend of mine finally got a job in her field (advertising and graphic design).
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
applepiemommy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applepiemommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 2:28am
Nathan, check your PM...

What does Dr Traci have to say about it? http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Dr-Traci
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 5:31am
My son has been home for a week, stopping here before moving to Los Angeles to work in film production; he's leaving on Sunday and will be staying with friends until he finds a job and a place to live.  That job market sucks, as do pretty much all of them right now.  I worry about him just starting out, especially with his student loans, which he waited too long to try to consolidate.  Nathan, did you leave LA because of the job market? I hope both you and my son find something SOON! Hug
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2008 at 5:35am
Originally posted by applepiemommy applepiemommy wrote:

Nathan, check your PM... 
 Likewise; been a few days, now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic