Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Halloween Treats - your favorites?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:54pm
Big smileWolfies and our retarded cousins (Coyotes) LOVE Pumpkins & Gourds! No joke - that is a GREAT way to bring us into any community. Toss out an additional whole dead chicken or two...we'll snatch them up, also.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:53am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Halloween just wouldn't have been Halloween in my neighborhood, without the Ferrero Rocher!!! LOL

I got my niece good one year.  She'd dip into the candy bowl in the kitchen when she came over.  No problem with that, it just offered the perfect setting for a trap.  So I left a single F-R in there (her favorite.)  I carefully opened one up, removed the center and replaced it with a green wasabi ball, then sealed it all back up again.  And waited....

About 2 seconds after crunching it, she had the most profound look of surprise on her face.  She's suspicious now whenever I give her a package of them as a gift...  LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 2:17pm
We used to get popcorn balls.  One or two each Halloween.  They weren't even wrapped.  My mother tossed 'em, and with absolutely no objections from me or my bro.

Has anyone gotten these, and if so, did you eat them?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 2:20pm
What ever happened to "Trick or treat for UNICEF!"?  I haven't heard of anyone doing this since the 60s.  I certainly haven't had any kids screaming that phrase at my door on Halloween during the past 10 years.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 2:27pm
And what ever happened to Mischief Night?  It's called different things in different regions, but it was the night before Halloween when kids would go out and cause (usually) very minor trouble.  The most common thing in my area of NJ was to soap up windows.  We'd take a bar of Ivory and go around the 'hood marking up garage and car windows.  Sometimes, we'd "T-P" (toilet paper) trees and houses, or ring doorbells and run.  Some kids would throw eggs at houses and cars.

Does anyone still do this stuff or has it been relegated to history? 

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 3:08pm

Halloween just wouldn't have been Halloween in my neighborhood, without the Ferrero Rocher!!! LOL

Did you have to dress up as an Ambassador?
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

And what ever happened to Mischief Night?  It's called different things in different regions, but it was the night before Halloween when kids would go out and cause (usually) very minor trouble.  The most common thing in my area of NJ was to soap up windows.  We'd take a bar of Ivory and go around the 'hood marking up garage and car windows.  Sometimes, we'd "T-P" (toilet paper) trees and houses, or ring doorbells and run.  Some kids would throw eggs at houses and cars.

Does anyone still do this stuff or has it been relegated to history? 

In Michigan it was called "Devil's Night" Evil Smile Kids would head out on the evening of October 30th to do their acts of mischief. If it was raining we'd do prank calls. Some people would take advantage of this evening, and use it to get someone to "help" them with their fall cleaning. They'd set up a "Sucker Trap", making their house look vacant, when a prankster would show up to soap the windows and/or TP the trees BAM! Lights came on, nowhere to run! Getting caught placed you at the mercy of whoever captured you, punishment was, as I mentioned earlier, getting to assist that person in their fall cleaning. We respected each other, there was "Code of Honor" Chivalry, the hunter vs the hunted. Those of us who got caught took their punishments like men, and very often after having to spend the day cleaning the house the occupant fed us a good meal before sending us on our way.

Unfortunately, things got out of hand. Instead of being irritating some would become destructive, and more serious acts of vandalism became the norm. Kids got shot, and the fun times were over. Prank calls are no longer possible, thanks to caller ID.

Oh well, thanks for the memories.
Pray for those in the path of Hurricane Irma!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:05pm
A friend of mine is from Michigan & he said they called it "Hell Night".

Never heard of it when I was a kid.

We just did our window soaping & pumpkin smashing on Halloween night.

Got chased down the street by a very fit & athletic looking young man one Halloween night after we (I) knocked his lit Jack-O-Lantern off of his roof onto his driveway.

He came after us like a steam locomotive!!!!   

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:06pm
I guess our "sucker trap" was when we'd hide behind the bushes with the hose ready, and then when someone came to soap up our windows, we'd turn it on 'em.  It would suck to be all wet in the cold air of late October.

We did this a few times, but always got bored and left to do our own mischief.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:17pm
Thor - Popcorn Balls - we got them one year from a neighbor and i distinctly remember them being wrapped in orange and black paper. They hit the garbage.

UNICEF - I went to a Catholic school so we never got those little orange boxes but my friends who went to public school did. I think most kids pocketed the money. Not many people gave money "back in the day."

Mischief Night - we never had that - all the shennanigans were on Halloween night. We never threw eggs - my mother would have broken our legs if we wasted food like that. And a cop confiscated a can of shaving cream from me and causing a slight heart attack from fear which ended that prank. We mainly went for candy - that was the major rule of thumb.

When my Mom was a young gal, they used to beat the crap out of one another with sacks of flour. I think they'd use a nylon and fill it with flour and just run up to friends and strangers alike and WHAM - you had a white streak across your back!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:19pm
Some friends of mine lived over by "River Road" (actually named 'Indian River Drive'), a narrow, twisting, turning road that follows the bank of the Indian River in my hometown.

One Halloween night, they tied two metal trash cans together with a nylon cord, which they then stretched across the road, then hid in the bushes waiting for their victim to come along.

Of course, their "victim" turned out to be a cop!!!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Thor - Popcorn Balls - we got them one year from a neighbor and i distinctly remember them being wrapped in orange and black paper. They hit the garbage.

UNICEF - I went to a Catholic school so we never got those little orange boxes but my friends who went to public school did. I think most kids pocketed the money. Not many people gave money "back in the day."

Mischief Night - we never had that - all the shennanigans were on Halloween night. We never threw eggs - my mother would have broken our legs if we wasted food like that. And a cop confiscated a can of shaving cream from me and causing a slight heart attack from fear which ended that prank. We mainly went for candy - that was the major rule of thumb.

You might be right about that paper.  I seem to recall it now, too.  Still, it got tossed.

I also went to Catholic school.  Nope, no Unicef boxes there.

I might've thrown one egg once.  Probably snuck it outta the house, too.  I guess I'm glad.  Dried egg is impossible to clean off cars and houses, and I'd hate to have anyone do it to me.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:35pm

One Halloween night, they tied two metal trash cans together with a nylon cord, which they then stretched across the road, then hid in the bushes waiting for their victim to come along.

Good idea.  I'd like to use that on people speeding down my street.  Either that, or spike strips.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:49pm

Good idea.  I'd like to use that on people speeding down my street.  Either that, or spike strips.

A bucket of white paint, especially if it's a dark colored vehicle.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 6:37pm
We t.p.ed (yes, we always said it with the ed part) all of the time during the colder months, not just Halloween.  We never ketchuped, or egged or anything permanently descructive, though someone keyed my friend's parents car while it was under the carport.

I definitely remember trick or treat for Unicef.

And I also remember getting popcorn balls that were partially wrapped because the saranwrap or whatever they used wouldn't stay on--in order to form balls out of sticky stuff you have to put butter or margerine on the popcorn mixture or your hands and so the wrap won't stick very well.  I actually ate them when I was really young but later on I figured it wasn't a great idea, and it usually depended on from who's house I had gotten it from.  A couple of my neighbors were pretty scummy cleanliness-wise and clothing-wise.  Evil Smile
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
zerocool View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 10:31pm
Chick-o-Sticks, Cow Tales, Nerds, Reese's, Twix, and Mr. Goodbar/Krackel/Crunch have always some favorites of mine as well as Dots!

Jujyfruits, most Mexican candy, and candy corn can all go to hell! Dead

Especially that Mexican candy. Mexican confectioners seem to be madly in love with tamarind and the secret ingredient is lead. Wink

Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

A bucket of white paint, especially if it's a dark colored vehicle.

I grew up as a somewhat angry child. We used to shoot out people's windows with a BB gun, but we didn't need any special occasion or reason for that!

There was this amazingly perfect tree we used to sit in all day playing Gameboy games. It was so dense you could easily fit 2-3 kids without being spotted (even from directly underneath the tree!) and it was so tall you could take out car windows the next street over. I'm surprised I never got busted for any of it. Those were the days... Cry

EDIT: Oh yeah and we thought we were so cool with our "heavy artillery" consisting of smuggled Mexican bottle rockets and M80s. I grew up along the border, FWIW.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 12:42am
Yeah, I have never liked candy corn--just don't see why people like it.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 12:57am
It makes good slingshot ammo.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 1:10am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Yeah, I have never liked candy corn--just don't see why people like it.

Most underwhelming candy in the world.Thumbs Down
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 1:10am
Krackel...I've probably driven the receptionist nuts because I keep swiping the ones at her desk. LOL
The poster formerly known as producer757
zerocool View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 2:28am
Did anyone ever get candy cigarettes? I totally forgot about those until just right now. Those were always fun.

It's too bad some kids took their life advice from candy and grew up to be heavy smokers. LOL
The P.C. police ruin everything.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 3:05am
We used to get real cigarettes.

And those little miniature bottles of booze.

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 11:45am

We used to get popcorn balls.  One or two each Halloween.  They weren't even wrapped.  My mother tossed 'em, and with absolutely no objections from me or my bro.

Has anyone gotten these, and if so, did you eat them?

I actually did like them as a kid. I think I'm probably the only one although until I read some of the earlier posts I thought I was the only one who would admit to liking candy corn. I also really liked those little Three Musketeers and Nestle's Crunch bars. Hatred and cess ridden filth to that bum who kept giving out toothbrushes every year. Hopefully a group of kids egged the hell outta his house by now. 
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by zerocool zerocool wrote:

Did anyone ever get candy cigarettes? I totally forgot about those until just right now. Those were always fun.

It's too bad some kids took their life advice from candy and grew up to be heavy smokers. LOL
The P.C. police ruin everything.

We talked about those in another thread recently.  I said..

There were three kinds.  The chocolate kind (wrapped in white paper), the bubblegum kind (also wrapped in white paper, but with a layer of powdered sugar in between that you can puff out like smoke) and the kind that was just some hardened confectionary sugar with a red tip.

The chocolate and bubblegum ones were pretty good.  The confectionary ones, not so much.

Then there were the bubblegum cigars that came in different colors.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 2:02pm
I used to like the orange wax harmonicas.  It almost seemed wrong to eat them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic