Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goli, the 70s are calling...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goli, the 70s are calling...
    Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 1:48am
Someone call Goli and tell them that the 1970s wants Willona from Good Times back.

I admit that I really hate these vitamin ads. They seem like a product that no one needs, but they hype it so you think YOU NEED IT. (Like that god awful "Balance of Nature" commercial spree). This one really irks me and I didn't know that this lady was some kind of min-celebrity when I saw it. 

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:27am

What's it for?

Oh, "wellness".

Okay.

Whatevs.

🙄

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

What's it for?

Oh, "wellness".

Okay.

Whatevs.

🙄

Don't you know, they have only just invented "wellness". All of us older folks had to not have Wellness prior to now. I don't know how we got through life without mainlining gummi vitamins while dancing like idiots. 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 2:50pm
People like to think they can just pop a magic pill or in this case, a piece of magic CANDY.... and negate the effects of all the CRAP they eat everyday while sitting on their butts watching TV.

So companies like Goli accommodate them and take their money in return.

You want wellness?

Eat a relatively healthy diet and get some exercise.

As for the 70's... we should be so lucky as to have them return.

What an awesome decade they were.

I miss them so.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

Don't you know, they have only just invented "wellness". All of us older folks had to not have Wellness prior to now. I don't know how we got through life without mainlining gummi vitamins while dancing like idiots.

The term "wellness" is one I've been hearing for a long time.

Possibly since the 80's, though I have not often heard it associated with a product or in commercials.

But hospitals and insurance companies have for a long time been sponsoring "wellness programs" in which people who sign up for them, go to a location and do supervised exercises and get nutrition counseling and basic health monitoring etc, etc.

I think they are often provided as a free benefit with employee health insurance plans, etc.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/wellness-programs/
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

What's it for?

Oh, "wellness".

Okay.

Whatevs.

🙄

I've been taking vitamins (multi and/or other) for 40 years. I have no idea if they've done me any good. It could be a total scam, or they could be placebos that I'm taking. How the hell do I know?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Were they?

Or do we just long for our youth? I guarantee that some 78 y/o would say the same about the 60s. Just look at the comments under American Bandstand videos from that decade. The 60s were always the best ever. Everyone dressed nicely, did their hair, no one had tattoos, the music was beautiful and more innocent blah blah blah,etc.

Of course, I agree with you.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 4:20pm

Were they?

Or do we just long for our youth? I guarantee that some 78 y/o would say the same about the 60s. Just look at the comments under American Bandstand videos from that decade. The 60s were always the best ever. Everyone dressed nicely, did their hair, no one had tattoos, the music was beautiful and more innocent blah blah blah,etc.

The 60's were great too.

Having lived through both, I just happen to be partial to the 70's.

Particularly the early and late 70's.

Pre and post 1976.

BTW, I wouldn't call the music from those decades more innocent, as much as I would call it less contrived and less of a slickly packaged product influenced almost solely by corporate profit.

Notice I said "LESS", not "NOT".

Obviously money and profit have always been part of the popular music industry.

But yeah, compared to the sh*t culture we live in today, the 70's were an awesome decade.

Of course, it's all just a matter of opinion anyway, in'nit?

C'mon, man!
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 4:54pm
It's for weight loss. Just think about how much lighter your wallet will be!
Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by CaptainErnie CaptainErnie wrote:

It's for weight loss. Just think about how much lighter your wallet will be!

Good point.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:06pm

BTW, I wouldn't call the music from those decades more innocent, as much as I would call it less contrived and less of a slickly packaged product influenced almost solely by corporate profit.

I think music, as it progressed from the 50s into the 70s, reflected the maturation of its fans.

Most of the early rock and roll music well into the 60s featured juvenile themes intended for a juvenile audience. As it headed into the 70s, it got more complex. Even dating songs became less sentimental and simplistic. I Wanna Hold Your Hand turned into Something. It also got much darker. The Beatles White Album couldn't (or wouldn't) have been written even just 4 years earlier.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:36pm

I think music, as it progressed from the 50s into the 70s, reflected the maturation of its fans.

Most of the early rock and roll music well into the 60s featured juvenile themes intended for a juvenile audience. As it headed into the 70s, it got more complex. Even dating songs became less sentimental and simplistic. I Wanna Hold Your Hand turned into Something. It also got much darker. The Beatles White Album couldn't (or wouldn't) have been written even just 4 years earlier.

I think it reflected, not just the maturation of pop music fans, but the loosening up and relaxation of the tight, puritanical morality of society as a whole and the willingness to express feelings about what was always there beneath the surface but never spoken about publicly amongst polite folk.

But at some point, all that earnest introspection gave way and reversed course to where we've largely returned to trite, empty-headed, teenybopper dance music garbage.

Not saying that wasn't around in the good old days too, but it seems more prevalent in today's corporate profit driven, music-product industry.

There doesn't seem to be as much of a balance between the two as there used to be.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:51pm

I pretty much agree. But there is some good, introspective music out there.

Behold!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 9:12pm
Not bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to the deep, inspirational introspection of this....

This song is so special, it's used in a Weight Watchers commercial...

I love it so much, I had planned to start a thread about it.

🙄

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 9:23pm

I was waiting to see (hear) those guys' input into the song, but it never happened. It was just a video of them playing a record, presumably this particular song. But, for all I know, they could've been spinning Gangnam Style or a James Taylor song.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 9:49pm
I say it all the time.

Society is going down the toilet.

C'mon, man!
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 3:29pm
the ubiquitous (now) giant afro should STAY back in the 70s
i think basically society stopped evolving about back then-
you look at year book pictures then and around now
pretty much looks the same--and look
THE COLD WARS BACK
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 3:53pm

I used to like seeing a good 'fro on a nice-looking black chick. In high school, Beverly Rossi's afro was enormous. Yeah, her name was Rossi, but she was black.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 4:01pm
So she was Afri-talian?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 4:20pm

Ha. But nope. Maybe somewhere in her ancestry. But to me, she just looked black.

Back in the 90s, a homeowner across the street from me in the Haight was cleaning out someone's apartment, dragging everything to the curb. I got a nice houseplant (didn't survive the trip back to NJ 20 years later).

I also got some black guy's photo album from about the early 70s. Some great snaps! The book included 3 pages of girls' wallet-sized yearbook pics. One page of white chicks, and two of black chicks. Lotsa 'fros, some really good ones. I still have the album. It's good coffee table stuff.

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 5:03pm
I haven't seen anyone with an afro since...well, the early 80s, I guess. And I'm a black guy. 

Back in college I used to use "Stay-Soft 'Fro" (Insert joke about the scene in "Coming to America" ) on my hair, but I never had a big ass 'fro. 

Now I'm curious if they still sell "Afro-Sheen". 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 8:38pm
I'll post pics of the pages of the photo album I found:

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 8:48pm

Nice car. Nice jacket.

Notice the wall of Jackson.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 8:51pm

Even the photo album itself is right outta the era.

I can't believe someone was going to just throw this out.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 12:51am

Even the photo album itself is right outta the era.

I can't believe someone was going to just throw this out.

Maybe the guy who owned it died so the landlord just chucked everything.

Not being the owner it's doubtful he would've cared enough to save it.

OTOH, I wouldn't believe the person who owned it would chuck it.

Maybe you could/should try to find out who the person was.

Maybe there are some relatives who would like to have them.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic