Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ginger Baker - RIP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ginger Baker - RIP
    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:56pm
Disapprove
Another great 'bites the dust'...and reminds us just how long we've been music fans. Thank You for the entertainment during my deformative years.  

RIP, Ginger Baker - now you and Jack Bruce have a chance to sync-up and get ready for the next reunion.

Ginger Baker, the drummer for rock supergroups Cream and Blind Faith, dies at 80

Ginger Baker on stage with Cream in London
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 4:03pm
I remember as a kid being in awe of his marathon drum solo in the instrumental song Toad on the Wheels of Fire album.

I recall seeing him on Letterman with Jack Bruce in the early 90's. 

He talked briefly about his olive farm in Italy.

Here's the clip. The interview begins at 3:00, right after they perform with the band...

He lived a long and satisfying life.

RIP Mr Baker.

Mon aƩroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:55pm
I remember buying the Ginger Baker's Air Force album way back when, and thinking it sucked.  In fact, I think I got it from one of those 99-cent "cut-out" bins.  Maybe I should try listening again.  Maybe it's better than I thought.

RIP, Ginger.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:56pm
RIP
I can't complain but sometimes I still do.
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:42pm

(sorry for the link like this.  I can't seem to embed youtube videos here anymore)

And now there is one.  Ginger Baker was a crazy old bastard, but a phenomenal drummer!  Rest in peace, sir!
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:28pm
Damn! RIP. Glad I had the chance to see you perform.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:55pm
I almost forgot this until just a couple of minutes ago, but back in the late 60's, I recall hearing this fake rumor/urban legend kind of thing, about how after the marathon drum solo in Toad, which was recorded live on the WoF album, that Baker collapsed and died from exhaustion.

I think it was just a couple of years prior to the "Paul is dead" rumor.
Mon aƩroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 12:34am
Peter Edward "Ginger" Baker was one of the best drummers who ever sat behind a drum kit! 
I had the pleasure of preparing food for him at a function in London, UK in the 1980's, then I did the same function for him in the 1990's in New York City. 
I know he was known as being a bit of a prick, but I found him to be a very appreciative man. He tried to watch what he ate, due to some restrictions, and he was thankful for the special treatment.
I thanked him for all of the cool music he provided for me during my life. He asked me if I enjoyed jazz, I told him that my father taught me to appreciate jazz from the time I was in my crib as a baby. 
He told me I had a great Dad and asked if he could look him up. I told him that my Dad died in 1985. He told me he'd look him up in heaven, if he ever gets there (while chuckling).
I hope he checks in with Dad, since my Dad also loved Cream, Blind Faith, and Air Force.....Dad had good taste in music.
R.I.P. Ginger!
One man gathers what another man spills
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic