Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting ready for Ian....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting ready for Ian....
    Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 12:36am
So I went to Wallymart today and surprisingly, there was still a lot of stuff left. I imagine tomorrow if Ian's forecasted path stays the same or moves further east, there'll probably be a big run on non-perishables.

I picked up some canned soup and stew, a can of hash, a small jar of peanut butter, some crackers, a pack of cheap cookies, some soda, a bag of tortilla chips and a jar of salsa.

Already had a couple of loaves of bread, so I'm good on that.

But most important of all....

I got enough cat food to last several days.

๐Ÿ˜ธ ๐Ÿ˜ผ

I put a few plastic bottles of water in the freezer too. Gonna put some more in tomorrow. If the power goes out, I'll take anything in the fridge that might spoil fast, cram it in the freezer with the frozen bottles of water and hope they get the power back on before the ice melts.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to fire up the propane camping stove, then start cooking and eating.

And eating.

And eating.

And eating.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 12:39am
BTW... a shout out to MustangMarj is in order here too, because she lives very closer to the projected landfall point!!!

Good luck MustangMarj!!!!

As Tom Terry says.... "MAKE SURE TO HUNKER DOWN!!!"

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 12:55am
On one of the other forums I'm on, a user there is in the path of the storm as well. Stay safe and good luck to you all!
MustangMarj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 1:53am
It is not looking great for us at the moment, however, we know the track of hurricanes can shift. We are as prepared as can be - we have a generator which is a big plus, as well as plenty of food and water for ourselves and the pets! Vehicles are gassed up and we have cash on hand!

Thanks for your thoughts Jimbo! If Ian makes another shift, you be safe as well! Chat later! Cheers!
Donโ€™t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 2:00am
Originally posted by MustangMarj MustangMarj wrote:

It is not looking great for us at the moment, however, we know the track of hurricanes can shift. We are as prepared as can be - we have a generator which is a big plus, as well as plenty of food and water for ourselves and the pets! Vehicles are gassed up and we have cash on hand!

Thanks for your thoughts Jimbo! If Ian makes another shift, you be safe as well! Chat later! Cheers!

Stay safe Marj.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 2:03am
Thanks Radio! Now, we wait! Tampa could see a storm surge of 5 to 10 feet! That will cause a lot of damage. At least we are inland - about 68 miles from Cedar Key(as the crow flies) where Ian could make landfall! Can't remember the last time I watched the Weather Channel so much in one day! Chat later!
Donโ€™t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 2:36am
Originally posted by MustangMarj MustangMarj wrote:

Sounds like you all are already "HUNKERED DOWN"

Glad to hear you've got a generator and you're all stocked up on food and beverage.

Got your windows boarded up, too?

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

So I went to Wallymart today and surprisingly, there was still a lot of stuff left. I imagine tomorrow if Ian's forecasted path stays the same or moves further east, there'll probably be a big run on non-perishables.

I picked up some canned soup and stew, a can of hash, a small jar of peanut butter, some crackers, a pack of cheap cookies, some soda, a bag of tortilla chips and a jar of salsa.

๐Ÿ˜ธ ๐Ÿ˜ผ

I put a few plastic bottles of water in the freezer too. Gonna put some more in tomorrow. If the power goes out, I'll take anything in the fridge that might spoil fast, cram it in the freezer with the frozen bottles of water and hope they get the power back on before the ice melts.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to fire up the propane camping stove, then start cooking and eating.

And eating.

And eating.

And eating.

If you have to eat the cat food, that's getting pretty desperate...   Wink

I keep about 10 gallons of bottled ice in my large freezer all the time.  Tuesday I'm putting the "need to keep frozen" stuff in a cooler chest, then that goes into the freezer as well. It won't start to thaw for at least a week. Meantime I'm making more ice bottles for the fridge & small freezer, and putting away loose crap in the yard (expecting more rain than anything.)  If I can find some fuses, I have a battery-to-AC converter that I need to get working. It's more to run a TV than anything else...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 8:49am

๐Ÿ˜ธ ๐Ÿ˜ผ

Will you be making a classic pate sandwich, or a savory shred sandwich? I say splurge and get some Fancy Feast for a nice Ocean Whitefish in a Creamy Bechamel Sauce sandwich.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 12:52pm
You guys..... ===>>

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:10am
Hurricane Ian appears to have changed course once again and has Orlando in his sights! Take care, Jimbo!

And, if Tom Terry has his shirt sleeves rolled up when you turn on the news tomorrow morning, you will know he is serious about this hurricane!

Check in when you can!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:49am
I'm hoping that by the time the winds reach here they're somewhere below hurricane strength.

Tropical storm force winds around 50 - 60 mph are not too bad.

They're estimating 65 mph which probably means higher gusts.

No matter how many of these things I go through, they always set my nerves on edge.

Hope you all weather the storm ok too.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:51am
woo hoo! Sorted through scads of fuses & found some for my inverter. Charged up the battery and it works (tested it with a string of Christmas lights.)  So if the power goes, I'll at least be able to plug in a TV to see what the hell is going on (listening to radio for storm coverage is worse than useless.) Not that there will be anything to watch, it being pre-empted for 'local' weather (like what happened to the 3 shows I wanted to watch tonight. Eff you, WESH-2! At least other stations split screened their shows.)
I'm 5 miles north of UCF, and right in the projected path, so if I'm not here for a few days, it's because of no power... 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 8:33am

I work with a woman whose daughter lives in Ft. Myers. She had to evacuate. Now I see Ian's supposed to hit there with 130mph winds.

Edit: now it's going to hit there with 69mph winds. Still not great, but a lot better.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:24pm
Well, it was already soaking wet and drizzling rain when I got up this morning. The wind was up a little but barely qualifies as a breeze.

Got as much prep done yesterday as I could, now it's just sit, wait and hope for the best.

I guess my power will go out at some point this afternoon or this evening, so I might be incommunicado for a coupla few days.

BTW, that reminds me of something I heard on TV last night...

One of the local news reporters was outside in front of a local shelter talking about things we can all do to lessen the impact. One of the things she suggested was to fill the tub with water. Good idea if for some reason your fresh water supply gets tainted. But the reason she gave for doing this was...

"...in case the power goes out you can flush your toilets."

Huh? ๐Ÿคจ

You now need electrical power to flush your toilets?

Are they making electric toilets now?

Did I miss something? ๐Ÿค”

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:05pm

Well, that might be applicable to businesses or stores because their flush mechanisms are electronically triggered (push-button) nowadays, and they'd be able to flush with a bucket of water from a tub.

On the other hand, if power's out, those businesses would be closed, anyway. And even if they were open, how many have bathtubs in their restrooms?

Yeah, makes no sense.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:10pm

Oh wait. I see Home Depot sells remote-controlled toilets. For germophobes and pansies, I guess. SMH.

It'll serve 'em right when they go to flush their big old BMs, and nothing happens. Then they realize they'll just have to be piling it up for the next few days. ๐Ÿคฃ

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Oh wait. I see Home Depot sells remote-controlled toilets. For germophobes and pansies, I guess. SMH.

Or for techno weenies.

Smart phone controlled too, probably.

It'll serve 'em right when they go to flush their big old BMs, and nothing happens. Then they realize they'll just have to be piling it up for the next few days. ๐Ÿคฃ

There's always the backyard... ๐Ÿค”

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:20pm

Not for germophobes. I don't know why, but I can't imagine a germ-obsessed to squat and dump in the woods.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:27pm

Not for germophobes. I don't know why, but I can't imagine a germ-obsessed to squat and dump in the woods.

True, but when forced with the choice between letting crap pile up in the crapper and going outside with a shovel and fertilizing the garden, the decision would likely favor taking one's bidness outside until the toilet computer tech can get there and "debug" (both literally and technologically speaking) their fancy high tech toilet gizmo.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:46pm

Oh, that's right. They may have to call in the Geek Squad to reboot their techno-toilet when power comes back. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:38pm

Oh, that's right. They may have to call in the Geek Squad to reboot their techno-toilet when power comes back. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I can only imagine the process involved in deciding which unfortunate tech gets to go out on those calls....

๐Ÿ’ฉ

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

woo hoo! Sorted through scads of fuses & found some for my inverter. Charged up the battery and it works (tested it with a string of Christmas lights.)ย  So if the power goes, I'll at least be able to plug in a TV to see what the hell is going on (listening to radio for storm coverage is worse than useless.) Not that there will be anything to watch, it being pre-empted for 'local' weather (like what happened to the 3 shows I wanted to watch tonight. Eff you, WESH-2! At least other stations split screened their shows.)
I'm 5 miles north of UCF, and right in the projected path, so if I'm not here for a few days, it's because of no power...ย 

Mr. Tim, I had no idea you lived near UCF โ€“ please be safe! I used to live south of UCF off Alafaya Trail in Eastwood.

To everyone in the CIH family who may be impacted by either Hurricane Ian or the tropical storms, I hope you all are safe.

And be careful while taking care of business outside!

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:59pm
Stay safe everyone in Florida.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 8:25pm

I can only imagine the process involved in deciding which unfortunate tech gets to go out on those calls....

๐Ÿ’ฉ

Tech plus "toliet", and I think AngryMcP would've volunteered.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic