Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

another whipped male commercial - McDonalds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another whipped male commercial - McDonalds
    Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 12:29am

just saw this earlier today. the strange looking boyfriend is too afraid to agree that Sundays are for football.
Brandon

my weight only stirs the ground
Sponsored Links

Agent_Sometime View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agent_Sometime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 3:58am
Are they really implying that she would kick him out of the house if he didn't agree?

Sheesh...
belc0011 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belc0011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 6:35pm
I'm so tired of this ad trend, I can't even put it into words.  The sad thing is that it must work, or they wouldn't keep doing it.  So, there really are women out there who are watching these commercials going "Ho, ho ho!  So true!  My husband is SO stupid, if it weren't for me he would just lay on the floor in a puddle of his own drool and feces!" 
Bring me the head of a pig, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 7:30pm

It's funny, when I saw this my first thought was that this guy is going to lie and say Sundays aren't for football just to keep her happy.  And then, if he gets her married he will immediately go back to being a sports junkie 24/7.  (I have a personal issue with this since my ex didn't act like sports was a big deal before we got married but after, he lived for sports from morning to night every day.  He watched sports he didn't even like just to be watching sports.  I know, sounds like a nag but he literally refused to do anything, no matter how important, on Sunday Unhappy

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 5:09am
Stupid commercial, but this is the same company that makes commercials of people being intrigued by couples slapping on tables, as if people act like that. Or my personal favorite...THIS.

Sad thing is, I have female friends who are just as, if not more passionate than men are about football, and will insist not to be bothered on a Sunday afternoon. So yeah, I'm not surprised that "Mickey D's" is out of touch with reality. Again.

S/N there's another one with a couple talking about painting the garage or something, and the husband smugly says it's raining, so he can't do it. The wife then thinks to herself about how they'll just go look at windows instead or some dumb crap. She then thinks to herself about how she's outsmarted him.

I'm all for female equality, but honestly, how "equal" are these commercials nowadays?
The poster formerly known as producer757
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 7:46am
I'd like to see the guy follow up that conversation with "I heard your friend Betty went out shopping for clothes once and spent one hundred dollars!!  Do you believe that??  I mean, what sort of woman does that?"

Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 2:27pm
I thank my lucky stars often that my husband doesn't care for spectator sports. It would've been a deal-breaker. He doesn't even get the appeal of baseball, b/c it's so predictable.

What's sad is that, based on these posts, McD's really IS in touch with reality...at least, the pseudo-reality created by TV. Sports are designed to get people to watch ads. People with a herd mentality will eat whatever food product is advertised.

McD's strives to make it look like EVERYbody eats there, so if you're a sheep, you should be eating there too. Just as sports fans feel like they need to know what happened during the game, so they can talk about it the next day.

Arrrrghh.

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 8:17pm
Ahh yes the good ol' battle of the sexes gag. Men love beer, Women hate sports durrhurr.Ermm Geez where'd they dig this ad agency up, the DuMont network? Believe it or not there are plenty of women who do enjoy weatching football. And no it's not just so they can see sweaty men in tight pants.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Tech View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:59am
Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

I thank my lucky stars often that my husband doesn't care for spectator sports. It would've been a deal-breaker.

How shallow of you.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Tech Tech wrote:

I thank my lucky stars often that my husband doesn't care for spectator sports. It would've been a deal-breaker.

How shallow of you.

I don't think it's shallow.  We all have our "dealbreakers".  For me, disliking animals or rock music would be a dealbreaker.  So would an affinity for drinking or spending a lot of money on clothes.  Of course, it's best to find out this stuff early on.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 7:37pm

I thank my lucky stars often that my husband doesn't care for spectator sports.

That's funny.  I couldn't care less about sports either.  Not one shred of interest in it. LOL

Tech View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't think it's shallow.  We all have our "dealbreakers".  For me, disliking animals or rock music would be a dealbreaker.  So would an affinity for drinking or spending a lot of money on clothes.  Of course, it's best to find out this stuff early on.

Don't really find any of these as dealbreakers, more in the line of just the usual stuff one has to put up with in order to sustain a relationship.

Me? I hate MTV with a passion. I wouldn't want to be caught dead watching it. But if I find someone I'm compatible with who happens to be an MTV fan, I'm not going to throw away a chance for a good relationship in the name of something so trivial.
ScribbleyDoibus View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScribbleyDoibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:31am
mcdonalds commercials are all terrible, and they dont even have a sense of ironic humor about how stupid they are (a la Burger Kings). They seem sincere, which is def not a positive quality in this case.
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 7:02am
I think the reason this 'genre' of commercial is so plentiful is because it's actually somewhat true. Ninety percent of the guys I know who are married, whenever they get married, immediately they become zombies. Sure, it's shameful, disgraceful and a massive double-standard. But it's at least a bit accurate.

Could you see a commercial where a man told his wife to get him a snack? How about one where a man insisted that it was unacceptable to spend excessive amounts of money on shoes and handbags? Or finally, one where a man chastised his wife because she stared at another man? None of these would happen. Feminist groups would be ALLOVER it.
sandy345 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 8:20pm
This guy is truly whipped. He's scared to death of even saying the "wrong thing."
Carly Corday View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carly Corday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 9:44pm
I am female and a far-left progressive, but hate these too. They've been around since Tarryton smokers wanted to fight instead of switch! This one is the worst so far, but it's the envelope being pushed, naturally, each one will BE worse than the last. That man whose wife scoldy-faced him for complimenting her eating of a cereal that isn't fattening, made him shuffle his feet, hang his head and get busy being sorry about how stupid he is and how smart she is? AGGHHGG! And when they DON'T make the man a pathetic little boy and his wife a harsh castrating mom, they're making a soulless-looking man flush his too-pretty-for-him wife's costly groceries and toiletries down a toilet to attract a hot lady plumber. I'm more than offended, I'm concerned, because every young woman I know expects this kind of subjugation from their male partners. They immediate start making a game of enforcing the ME vs. YOU rules they see on TV. And that's the relationship, like it, or you don't love me.
"Turn up the crazy and tear off the knob!"
—Stephen Colbert to Fox News whack-job Glenn Beck (Indian name "Paints with Poop")
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 3:13am
Originally posted by sandy345 sandy345 wrote:

This guy is truly whipped. He's scared to death of even saying the "wrong thing."

Well, truthfully, there might be a couple of days a month when I'm a bit sheepish about saying, "the wrong thing".  Embarrassed
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Carly Corday Carly Corday wrote:

I'm more than offended, I'm concerned, because every young woman I know expects this kind of subjugation from their male partners. They immediate start making a game of enforcing the ME vs. YOU rules they see on TV. And that's the relationship, like it, or you don't love me.

I said a long time ago here, that as silly as these commercials may seem, they're probably going to have an effect on the way young people growing up, see their roles as males or females.  They may not replicate them exactly, but they'll see certain things as acceptable.  I often see middle-aged fathers as into video games and toys and skateboarding as their kids are.  They look stupid to me.

Doctor Blase View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doctor Blase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Carly Corday Carly Corday wrote:

...I'm concerned, because every young woman I know expects this kind of subjugation from their male partners. They immediate start making a game of enforcing the ME vs. YOU rules they see on TV. And that's the relationship, like it, or you don't love me.
Clap

I have occasionally noticed this subservience in the behavior of my male friends; sometimes I thought it might be 'just me' used to being single and bridling at the idea of getting permission for every minute aspect of their lives.

It's as though they've devoted themselves to being "good dogs" for the sake of an occasional bone. Pardon the not-so-accidental analogy.

Funny how this advertising stuff works though, isn't it? I'm going on an assignment about 120 miles out of town today; guess what I want to have for lunch all-of-a-sudden?!

..and a side of fries...
a3b3i View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a3b3i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 10:26pm
I am one of those females! :)

This commercial is blatantly sexist. A lot of commercials make women look like nagging b!tches, and a great deal of us are not.

Dr. Merciful View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Merciful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:54pm
I like to think I have impeccable hearing, but alas, I couldn't hear a word either person was saying in this commercial over the sound of a cracking whip.

I have to wonder, is this gentleman consuming his own cajones?

Gather up your druthers sir and take a stand for Sunday Football!

Hurrah!

Dr. M
Call Powell electric, they'll fix it in a flash!
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by belc0011 belc0011 wrote:

I'm so tired of this ad trend, I can't even put it into words.  The sad thing is that it must work, or they wouldn't keep doing it.  So, there really are women out there who are watching these commercials going "Ho, ho ho!  So true!  My husband is SO stupid, if it weren't for me he would just lay on the floor in a puddle of his own drool and feces!" 
I'd laugh but I'm thinking my wife probably does think that.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 10:42pm

I thank my lucky stars often that my husband doesn't care for spectator sports.

I don't care for them either. In my younger years I tried to, only because all of my friends were. Then I realized I really wasn't that interested in them and decided to devote my time to things that did interest me. My wife however, loves watching football and NASCAR. I was an army recruiter in NJ for FIVE LONG DREADFUL years and I had to go to racing events to hand out stupid keychains and try to find aplicants. I hated it. The noise, the smell of oil and gasoline. I truly hated it, as in "kill me now". The wife was jealous that I essentially got to go for free.

I prefer to work on my garden or artwork or visit historical sights....and I'm the one in the army. Go figure.

Quote McD's strives to make it look like EVERYbody eats there, so if you're a sheep, you should be eating there too. Just as sports fans feel like they need to know what happened during the game, so they can talk about it the next day.

Arrrrghh.

Sad thing is, a lot of people do eat there. I ate there today. I am no fan of fast food, but I needed a quick meal at lunch so I could go back to work. (My home was destroyed on April 16th in Fayetteville, next to Fort Bragg. I used to go home at lunch, make my own quick meal and go back. But until the house is rebuilt I live further way and can't go home to eat. I need to start bringing lunch, since too much fast  food will certainly make me ill.)
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic