Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manwich Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manwich Revisited
    Posted: 02 May 2008 at 9:11pm
It's been established as an annoying earworm and upsets Beethoven greatly.

I agree.

But since it's stuck in my head.... I must ask:

What the heck are they saying?

I've got:
Manwich, manwich, we adore thee
Fun and easy and sparkly, too
blablablabla
napkins now unfold before thee,
lalalala I don't care about the rest....

It can't be "sparkly."

That word is really bothering me.

Anyone?
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Sponsored Links

suenewtotx View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenewtotx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 9:46pm
"Manwich" sounds like something really dirty!Shocked
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:34pm

I think it's "sloppy" and not "sparkly".  Wink   

And here's an interesting little tidbit I picked up on the Manwich song debacle.  Of course there are other articles on the internet about how this ad is "demeaning to Christians" but I'll let people dig those up themselves:

http://www.cantusquercus.com/fauxmercial.htm

QUOTED FROM THE ABOVE LINK: 
8. Hunt's Manwich Sauce (ConAgra Foods), promo seen in Chicago on NBC 5, ABC 7, FOX 32, etc. by viewer J.P. and others during August, 2007, totally debases the chorus from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony by parodying the words: "Manwich, Manwich, we adore thee... napkins now unfold before thee..." (See letter). See ConAgra's reply. It appears from their reply that they are unrepentant about the use of the music, although they dutifully apologize for "any offense it may have caused." They don't 'get it' that they have parodied the lyrics. Nor do they seem to have any appreciation of how to tell whether the context of using Beethoven's/Schiller's high and noble work would be appropriate.

"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 11:35pm
Sloppy.

I like sparkly though, now that you mention it.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:25am
I think the Manwich people now have a new product idea:  Manwich Sparkly.   Nothing says lovin' and home cookin' like a hamburger bun stuffed full of  iridescent  tomato-ey, meat-like-product.  Mmmmmm....mmmm...makes your taste buds sparkle!   Tongue
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:35am
Manwhich.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 3:10pm
Didn't they call these things "Loose Meat Sandwiches" on Roseanne?

Sounds pretty vague, doesn't it?

"Whatchya eating?"

"Loose Meat."
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

"Whatchya eating?"

"Loose Meat."

Loose meat? That Manwich crap looks more like loose stool to me. DeadDead
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:37pm

Loose meat doesn't have the sauce a "sloppy Joe" has.  It's just the cooked seasoned ground beef on the bun.  http://www.momsview.com/discus/messages/135/7142.html
suenewtotx View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenewtotx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:38pm

"Whatchya eating?"

"Loose Meat."

LOL

That reminds me of a story.  When we first moved to Houston three summers ago, my husband's company put us up in a Residence Inn for a month.  Each night they offered a complimentary dinner buffet.  I always checked with the front desk ahead of time to see if they were serving something we liked or not liked so that we could make our dinner plans accordingly.  The one night, the guy who was working behind the front desk was your stereotypical "Latin-lover" type, a.k.a. "Oily Bo-Hunk" -- long, slick dark hair pulled back into a ponytail, shirt with a couple of buttons opened, & that "come-hither/I make women swoon" accent.  When I asked him what was on the menu that particular night, he replied with something that I could've sworn sounded like "Love meat," which seemed very fitting with his image.  Not to seem ignorant, I politely responded "Excuse me?"  This guy was just not familiar with classic American dishes because he had to go back into the office & check with someone what it was.  He came back & said "Ah, uh, meat loaf."LOL 
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 12:56am
Ironically, I just bought a can of this stuff a couple of weeks ago for the firts time in ages.

It's not bad.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 1:32pm
Was it sparkly?
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 8:20pm
Post removed at user's request.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 8:26pm
Hunts%20Manwich%20Barbecue%20Sloppy%20Joe,%2012ct 
This garbage gives me indigestion.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 9:11pm
That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer had a handsome cab, and fed Beef-A-Reeno to the horse. 
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 10:02pm
"Whoaaa Rusty!"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by suenewtotx suenewtotx wrote:

"Whatchya eating?"

"Loose Meat."

LOL

That reminds me of a story.  When we first moved to Houston three summers ago, my husband's company put us up in a Residence Inn for a month.  Each night they offered a complimentary dinner buffet.  I always checked with the front desk ahead of time to see if they were serving something we liked or not liked so that we could make our dinner plans accordingly.  The one night, the guy who was working behind the front desk was your stereotypical "Latin-lover" type, a.k.a. "Oily Bo-Hunk" -- long, slick dark hair pulled back into a ponytail, shirt with a couple of buttons opened, & that "come-hither/I make women swoon" accent.  When I asked him what was on the menu that particular night, he replied with something that I could've sworn sounded like "Love meat," which seemed very fitting with his image.  Not to seem ignorant, I politely responded "Excuse me?"  This guy was just not familiar with classic American dishes because he had to go back into the office & check with someone what it was.  He came back & said "Ah, uh, meat loaf."LOL 

Meat love is funny.  But then again, so is meat loaf.  Meat balls, too.  And ALBONDIGAS!! (Spanish for meat balls)

One of the lines I from my 9th grade Spanish class that I had to memorize was "A mi no me gustan las ALBONDIGAS!!"  I thought that was the funniest word.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Hunts%20Manwich%20Barbecue%20Sloppy%20Joe,%2012ct 
This garbage gives me indigestion.

I love that stuff!!

Back when my metabolism was not that of a 52 y/o, I'd eat the entire meat/sauce/bun concoction in one meal.  That'd be like 8 sloppy joes probably in about a half hour!!  God, I miss those days.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

"Whoaaa Rusty!"
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 2:41am
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 12:49pm
Yes!

It was on the other day, and became an earworm. 

"...Oh Mom won't you
Make me another Manwich,
Forget the mac-and-cheese
I want some fun piled on a bun
I want a Manwich please...."

No.  No I will not.  And stop singing that.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

Yes!

It was on the other day, and became an earworm. 

"...Oh Mom won't you
Make me another Manwich,
Forget the mac-and-cheese
I want some fun piled on a bun
I want a Manwich please...."

No.  No I will not.  And stop singing that.
LOL
My mind had been clear until I realized this thread had come back to life...at that very moment, the Very Bad Beethoven started rolling through my mind...Thanks HR. Now I've got indigestion and no ideas of what to do about anything - the day is ruined.  

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by suenewtotx suenewtotx wrote:

LOLLOLLOL
That little tale woke up the household...I'm still laughing...
"LOVE MEAT"!!!
Think I'll fix some for MissyD!LOL
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 1:27pm
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by 8 Track Single 8 Track Single wrote:

Well...o.k. then, 8TS!

I AM an 'equal opportunity abuser', don'tcha know...

You attempted to ruin my whole night by bringing this thread back...luckily, I passed out before you sinned...but I've got to admit, you are right.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic