Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Gilbert Gottfried

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Gilbert Gottfried
    Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 11:56pm
Gilbert Gottfried possibly best known around here as the former voice of the AFLAC duck, and then for losing that job because he may possibly have been one of the early victims of cancel culture, has died at the age of 67 from a long time illness that is even longer to say and spell than his name....

Recurrent Ventricular Tachycardia due to Myotonic Dystrophy type II.

One of my favorite comedians.

RIP Gilbert who btw, shared a first name with my uncle.

The thing that got him fired from the AFLAC job was something that happened in March 2011. Gottfried reacted to a tsunami that had devastated Japan with a series of Twitter jokes.

The one that got him fired was...

"Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them."

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Gilbert Gottfried possibly best known as the former voice of the AFLAC duck, and then for losing that job because of cancel culture, has died at the age of 67.

I just heard this on my radio myself about a half hour ago.    RIP, Gilbert! 67 is young to die! I didn't even know he was seriously sick! This is the second Famous Comedian to die in his 60's just this year! First Bob Saget and now Gilbert Gottfried! Famous Comedian Louie Anderson also died this year, but he was in his 70's. Damn! THREE Famous Comedians died this year already!
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 1:27am
I listen to Q104 radio in new york. He was a regular in the studio. Yeah he had "the voice" but he was also very interesting to really listen to.

This was a gut punch.

RIP. Condolences to your family and loved ones. I'll miss listening to you.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 1:31am

Gilbert Gottfried possibly best known around here as the former voice of the AFLAC duck, and then for losing that job because he may possibly have been one of the early victims of cancel culture, has died at the age of 67 from a long time illness that is even longer to say and spell than his name....

The thing that got him fired from the AFLAC job was something that happened in March 2011. Gottfried reacted to a tsunami that had devastated Japan with a series of Twitter jokes.

"Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them."

I remember defending Gilbert when he got fired for the tasteless Tsunami jokes. I said something like,"I don't think the tasteless Tsunami jokes should have gotten him fired. Just no one laughing at his tasteless jokes is punishment enough."
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 2:07am
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

This is the second Famous Comedian to die in his 60's just this year! First Bob Saget and now Gilbert Gottfried! Famous Comedian Louie Anderson also died this year, but he was in his 70's. Damn! THREE Famous Comedians died this year already!

All three were on borrowed time at the time of this selfie.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 8:35am

Joking with Joe Rogan. I think this was last November or so.

RIP, Gilbert
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 8:42am

Per Wikipedia (referencing Rolling Stone), it might have been earlier than that, having to do with a monologue re Pee Wee Herman's masturbation "incident".

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 10:12am

Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

This is the second Famous Comedian to die in his 60's just this year! First Bob Saget and now Gilbert Gottfried! Famous Comedian Louie Anderson also died this year, but he was in his 70's. Damn! THREE Famous Comedians died this year already!

All three were on borrowed time at the time of this selfie.

That's creepy that all three Comedians in this Selfie died this year!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Per Wikipedia (referencing Rolling Stone), it might have been earlier than that, having to do with a monologue re Pee Wee Herman's masturbation "incident".

That is entirely possible.

I got the story from this article....

https://www.looper.com/830421/the-real-reason-gilbert-gottfried-was-fired-from-voicing-the-aflac-duck/

I think the Pee Wee incident happened a long time before he ever even started doing the AFLAC duck voice, but he could have made a more recent joke about it.

Anyway, sad to see him gone.

Footnote: My first exposure to him was a clip I saw on either Comedy Central or MTV back in the mid 80's.

He was doing that thing he did with his eyes squeezed shut while he spoke....

He said....

"I was talkin' to Ringo. I said 'Ringo... you should lose those other three. They should be John, Paul, George and Herman'.

I don't know why, probably just the odd way he spoke and the way he looked, but I immediately knew I liked him and I never forgot that one joke.

C'mon, man!
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 7:44pm
This is the 4th big-name comedian to die in less then a year. First Norm Macdonald, then Bob, then Louie and now Gilbert. Louie was actually 67 at the time of his death. None of them made it to 70. Such a shame to lose all four of them in a short period of time. May they all in R.I.P.

My favorite moment of Gilbert's was on Hollywood Squares was in 1999, when he yelled "YOU FOOL!" to all the contestants who got his answers wrong.

AFLAC does decent business in Japan which is why they fired him.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 8:50pm
Given Louie Anderson's size and weight, it's pretty surprising he made it that long.

C'mon, man!
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 9:01pm

Given Louie Anderson's size and weight, it's pretty surprising he made it that long.

I was surprised that cancer got him before a heart attack, although during quarantine, he did lose some weight by fasting.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 9:44pm

This is hilarious. Gottfried (and others) roasting Bob Saget.

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 2:31am
Robin Williams and Gilbert Gottfried actually knew each other before Aladdin!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 7:03am
Daaamn, sorry to see him go.  I'm (slowly) writing a children's book, that, if it were ever made into a movie, I'd have had him doing the quacking of a duck character. I think we can call this The Year That Comedy Died...
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 12:11am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Daaamn, sorry to see him go.  I'm (slowly) writing a children's book, that, if it were ever made into a movie, I'd have had him doing the quacking of a duck character. I think we can call this The Year That Comedy Died...

I can imitate Gilbert Gottfried.

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 1:05am

Footnote: My first exposure to him was a clip I saw on either Comedy Central or MTV back in the mid 80's.

He was doing that thing he did with his eyes squeezed shut while he spoke....

He said....

"I was talkin' to Ringo. I said 'Ringo... you should lose those other three. They should be John, Paul, George and Herman'.

I don't know why, probably just the odd way he spoke and the way he looked, but I immediately knew I liked him and I never forgot that one joke.

I loved his old MTV commercials. There's another that I couldn't find on YouTube where he talks about the Who. You know, the band. Wink  He said something like...
 "Let's call the band something in the form of a question. Let's call it "The What." ... Nah, that's not gonna do it. How about "I Beg Your Pardon?" That's not a good enough question ... Just call it "The Who." It's simpler to put on an album cover. And they said "OK." ... Now this might sound a little crazy, but afterwards, smash your instruments." LOL 

This is probably the most memorable one from those MTV snippets:
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 2:42am

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 8:37am
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

Well, Robin Williams and I knew each other well before Aladdin, too. Like in the 1980s.

Comedians tend to all know each other. I'm not a comedian, but I worked as the doorman in an SF comedy club back then.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 2:12am

Well, Robin Williams and I knew each other well before Aladdin, too. Like in the 1980s.

Comedians tend to all know each other. I'm not a comedian, but I worked as the doorman in an SF comedy club back then.

That's really cool...I do want to tryout as a comedian. If some f**k says "I'm not funny"...I'll say...then why the f**k did you come? There's the door!

I would NEVER do what Michael Richard's did.

Cranedy Pouth View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cranedy Pouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 10:40am

That's really cool...I do want to tryout as a comedian. If some f**k says "I'm not funny"...I'll say...then why the f**k did you come? There's the door!

I would NEVER do what Michael Richard's did.

I really don't think Michael should have been crucified over ONE impulsive heated moment.
Using nuclear weapons on problem people is not the answer, you psychopath!

Also, Keith Richards is a damn cockroach outliving everybody! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic