Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Haunted- James Patterson (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haunted- James Patterson (video)
    Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:36pm
Holy paperback writer, Patman! This guy is the Geico of authors.

I like to read, entertaining and informative text. I don't think I could stick my face in one of his (MANY) books.  Confused

Sponsored Links

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:35am
James Patterson doesn't even write his own books anymore.  He has co-authors and people who write stuff in his vein and pass it off as if JP wrote it just for the money the name recognition gets.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:10am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

James Patterson doesn't even write his own books anymore.  He has co-authors and people who write stuff in his vein and pass it off as if JP wrote it just for the money the name recognition gets.

Kind of a win-win there.  Same with Bill O'Reilly's books.  The co-author does all the work, but sells more books than he would have sold on his own, due to O'Reilly's name recognition.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 3:24pm
Confusedhmmm...do 'pen names' ring a bell?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 3:59pm
I'm pretty sure I've read one or two JP novels. I think they were both Alex Cross stories.

I wasn't really impressed.

Ken Follet and Frederick Forsyth are light years ahead of him and most other writers of the action/suspense genre.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 4:44pm
I'm partial to  John le CarrΓ©
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 6:07pm
I wait till they make the movie...like this guy. Phil Swift.  No, not that Phil Swift. Confused

If anyone wants to see a funny movie, Selleck embellishes his real life experiences and it's freaking hilarious.

At ;43 seconds..."Swift knew he had a formidable opponent, but the ace detectives mastery of Karate, Judo, Tae Kwon Do and Macrame." LOL

This thread is about an overzealous author, right?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I wait till they make the movie...like this guy. Phil Swift.Β  No, not that Phil Swift. Confused

If anyone wants to see a funny movie, Selleck embellishes his real life experiences and it's freaking hilarious.

At ;43 seconds..."Swift knew he had a formidable opponent, but the ace detectives mastery of Karate, Judo, Tae Kwon Do and Macrame." LOL

This thread is about an overzealous author, right?

Prior to getting his big break as Magnum P.I., Selleck had been playing small guest starting roles on TV for about 10 years. But it was his two appearances on The Rockford Files that launched his career.

The network was already grooming him to star in something and that was the reason why he got the role in the two episodes of TRF.

If you ever get the chance to see them, they're pretty good and even funny.

He plays the role of a PI named Lance White which is fitting because he's like this white Knight of virtue who leads a charmed life in which everything always works out perfectly for him. The women fall all over him and no matter what he does, it ends up in his favor no matter how much of a long shot. Even the LAPD Lieutenant who hates Rockford's and every other PI's guts, acts like a fawning, star struck fan around Selleck's character.

The character returns in his second and final TRF role helping Rockford find the real killer of a guy whose murder was falsely pinned on this bumbling idiot detective wannabe named Freddie Beamer (another twice recurring character) played by James Whitmore Jr, son of famed actor James Whitmore Sr.

The titles of the two episodes are White On White and Nearly Perfect and Nice Guys Finish Dead.

In the second Selleck appearance, one of his future Magnum costars, Larry Manetti, who would play Rick, one of Magnum's two best friends, appears with him. Selleck even punches him in the jaw in one of the ending scenes.

The black guy, Roger E. Mosely, who played T.C. in Magnum PI, though not in any of the Selleck episodes, also did a guest appearance in TRF as a loan shark named Electric Larry.

So, with the exception of John Hillerman who played Higgins, all three major stars of Magnum PI did guest roles on TRF prior to getting their big breaks.

From Nice Guys Finish Dead:

Freddie Beamer character is in the middle.

Larry Manetti from the same episode:

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Confusedhmmm...do 'pen names' ring a bell?
This isn't a George Eliot pen name (for Mary Anne Evans) so she could write and get published, or any of the numerous pen-named initials only a la J K Rowling to disguise/not advertise overtly that the author is female.  This is JP hiring up-and-coming authors to write books under his tutelage, but word is that he basically rubber stamps them and gets his name on top bill over the real author's name which IS included in the authors' credits on the cover.

I read some way earlier JP when he was actually a good author, but didn't like the Alex Cross series.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 4:19am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've read one or two JP novels. I think they were both Alex Cross stories.

I wasn't really impressed.

Ken Follet and Frederick Forsyth are light years ahead of him and most other writers of the action/suspense genre.

I've enjoyed the Ken Follet books I've read well enough, but haven't really been motivated to seek out his full bibliography either. I've enjoyed Lincoln Child(frequently co-writing with Douglas Preston) a lot more, also Lee Child's Jack Reacher books. Haven't read Patterson.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 8:23am
To the people ragging on Alex Cross, Tyler Perry played Alex Cross in a movie and the Alex Cross movie flopped hard and is one of Tyler Perry's most hated movies and one of his rare flops. You guys have a good point.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.πŸ˜€ Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! πŸ˜€

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:07am
Tyler Perry is the James Patterson of TV shows.  Thumbs Down
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:31am
LOL, Ron.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.πŸ˜€ Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! πŸ˜€

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:19pm

okokok...enough with the 'group hug' silliness.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:17pm

okokok...enough with the 'group hug' silliness.

LOLLOL
C'mon, PaW.  I know you want a big old group hug with me and Donna...and anyone else he brings to the party. Tongue  He might take a knee, or 2. Butt, it's all about love! Wink

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:23pm
You'd think a crusty old fart like Pa would be happy to take affection wherever he could get it.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:23pm
neeehhhh...we're here all talking about authors and all of a sudden we nosedive into 'Willy Wonka and The Little Train That Could', or 'The Little Boy Who Had The Train Pulled On Him', or something about a chocolate factory...it's all SO disgusting!Dead And again, from 'The Usual Suspect'.
Wink That would not be me.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 8:42pm

neeehhhh...we're here all talking about authors and all of a sudden we nosedive into 'Willy Wonka and The Little Train That Could', or 'The Little Boy Who Had The Train Pulled On Him', or something about a chocolate factory...it's all SO disgusting!Dead And again, from 'The Usual Suspect'.
Wink That would not be me.
I'm thankful it wasn't Sponge Bob Square Pants.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 8:46pm
^^^ShockedLOL
You must have excellent fishing in and around your area, Sarge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic