Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to strike back at advertisers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitecloud21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to strike back at advertisers
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 3:39am
New to the forum.  Glad to be here.

I pay $90 a month to watch TV.  I want no commercials.  Zero.  None.

Therefore, anytime a commercials beats me to the channel change button and I hear their name, I add that product or service to the boycott list.  For life.  Permanently.  Some of the products I will never buy:

Honda
Toyota
Mercedes
Acura
Ford
GMC
Hyundai
Kia

These are the products they advertise that most people can't afford or get financing for anywhere, therefore, because they interrupt the content of my programming, I won't ever buy their products.

The same goes for durable goods and consumables. 

All of these commercials need to go to separate channels so they can be watched if desired, but if they interrupt the content of what I'm watching, I retaliate by not buying their products.

If TV was free, and I don't mean the garbage network or shopping channels that anyone could get, then my attitude would be different.  I want to see content while I'm watching.  When I'm eating, drinking, whatever.  Content.  No commercials.

The prices of the products that advertisers show would be significantly lower if their advertising budget went away, and everything was word of mouth.

I make an exception for public service announcements.

Commercials are the way of the past, and I hope advertisers get the message: you advertise it, we boycott it!  Now run along.
AngryAngry
Sponsored Links

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:01am
My pet peeve WAS the prescription drug commercials. ESPECIALLY the ones dealing with "bodily functions" up to and including sex. After seeing an ad for one of those "ED" pills aired during a kid's show I cancelled my subscription to Pay TV. At the time I was paying $65.00 a month to subscribe. After "cutting the cord" I used that money to purchase commercial-free TV Shows, Movies, Serials and Documentaries on home video. This all happened a little over ten years ago, since then I have acquired over 1,000 TV Shows (Over 44,000 Episodes), over 2,700 Movies, over 1,200 Serial Chapters and over 500 Documentaries on home video. I'm set for life! Big smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 6:22am
I tape nearly everything I'm going to watch, then FF through the ads.  I don't have cable etc. because I can't see paying $100+/month just for 2 or 3 extra hours of TV over that which I already get free on-air.  As far as a 'boycott', not wasting my time telling advertisers that I'm not going to buy a product that I'm not going to buy anyway.
But, good luck on your crusade, anyway...  Thumbs Up
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:13pm
It is true that the brand names are more expensive because of their advertising budget being passed along to the consumer.  Many hyped products are more expensive just for the commercials on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers and online ads.

What make of car are you going to ever buy next?  Confused

Boycotting toilet paper might be tricky.  Unless you like the store brands.  Wink
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Boycotting toilet paper might be tricky.  Unless you like the store brands.  Wink

Or grow a tree in your yard with very large, wide leaves.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Or eat a lot of corn on the cob and save the cobs.  Big smile
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:16pm

Or eat a lot of corn on the cob and save the cobs.  Big smile

Wouldn't that just "compound" the problem?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 1:00pm

I SELDOM buy name brands, The generic products are just as good and CONSIDERABLY Cheaper( I once worked (as a temporary laborer) at a plant that made laundry detergent. There were two lines. One line packaged Purex, The other (which I was on) packaged a generic brand. BOTH BRANDS CAME FROM THE SAME SOURCE!. Shocked The difference in prices isn't the quality, it's the brand.
Poiuyt Power!!!
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:17am
I make NO exceptions for PSAs!

I hate them every bit as much as the worst of the "normal" ads. GRRRR!!!
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic