Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any computer experts here who can help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any computer experts here who can help?
    Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 4:48am
I've got a major computer issue...when I attempt to boot my Dell Latitude E6400 laptop computer, it bluescreens on me with the following text:

STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

I've attempted all boot options:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Boot Windows Normally

Any ideas here?

P.S.
This computer was purchased on the used market, and does not have a recovery disc.

Sponsored Links

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 6:27am
Originally posted by Angry McPisseron Angry McPisseron wrote:

I've got a major computer issue...when I attempt to boot my Dell Latitude E6400 laptop computer, it bluescreens on me with the following text:

STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

I've attempted all boot options:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Boot Windows Normally

Any ideas here?

P.S.
This computer was purchased on the used market, and does not have a recovery disc.

I had a similar problem with my Dell PC. After trying everything you have. I had it figured out in no time. I took it to my trusted IT guy. I barely know how to operate a computer, much less repair one.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 3:33pm
I'm strongly considering taking this one to Geek Squad and seeing if they can repair it.
Lots of updated & important files on it that I'd rather not lose. :-/

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:09pm

I lost my OS about 5 years ago and couldn't do anything.  I went to the Geek Squad, and their recommended fix would've cost me about $700 (new computer plus data transfer).  So, I found some local guy in the phone book (no computer, so I had to actually open one of those books LOL) who did computer repairs, and it ended up costing me about $120.  And most of that was because I had him come to my house and see if he could fix it from here (he couldn't).  I think he charged me $50 for the actual repair, which took 4 days.  Then he brought it back to my house, hooked it up and tweaked a few more things.

Anyway, the moral of the story is to look for someone other than the Geek Squad.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:40pm
The Geek Squad is overpriced! Highway robbery.

Can you maybe take it to your local high school and offer some computer whiz kid $50?
The artist formerly known as Madawee

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:49pm
I found this from a few years back - same computer brand and model, same error (Not sure what OS you're on, this is for XP)

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP/Q_26360417.html

I'm not all that enthusiastic about toying around in a PC's registry, which is what looks like what you'd have to do.  But if you feel confident with the instructions linked in the "Verified Solution" it may give you your fix.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:55pm
Definitely DO NOT go to the Geek Squad!!!

Do like Thor did.

Find a reputable local guy or shop to repair it for you.

If you can't find a fix online, that is.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 12:18am
Guess you are on a second computer to be posting this? Was the OS Windows XP? Whomever you get to look at the dead pc - maybe he can save those files to the one you're using??
If he has to wipe the Drive - I *think* I have an XP  copy.
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Guess you are on a second computer to be posting this? Was the OS Windows XP? Whomever you get to look at the dead pc - maybe he can save those files to the one you're using??
If he has to wipe the Drive - I *think* I have an XP  copy.

I'm using my sister's computer to post here.
The OS was indeed Windows XP.

I just finished sending an email to a local computer shop detailing what I posted in my OP here.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 3:30am

You're running XP on that machine?

Lots of stuff on the internet on your error, Chief. I cut and pasted what you posted into GOOGLE and giggled it.
Do you have an alternate or partitioned hard drive (change the boot sequence)?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 5:17pm
You could try a linux live disc to get your data off the drive. I had a similar issue years ago. Rescued my data with linux mint kde. Ended up getting rid of windows altogether. Been on mint ever since. Btw, a live disc loads and runs from the DVD drive but does not install anything or mess with the hard drive unless you tell it to. You can still access all the files on it, though. 
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Angry McPisseron Angry McPisseron wrote:

I'm using my sister's computer to post here.
The OS was indeed Windows XP.

I just finished sending an email to a local computer shop detailing what I posted in my OP here.
Anything new? Fixed?
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 6:43am
[QUOTE=Tiz]Anything new? Fixed?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, all was lost. Cry
I installed Linux on it, and the fucking thing reformatted my hard drive, subsequently wiping out ALL of the files I was hoping to salvage. Ouch

So this story has come to a rather unfortunate end. CryDeadCry

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 6:59am
Try one of those programmes to recover files (Most want money, but you can download 'em in two seconds on torrents). I went through something similar, reformatting a harddrive with all my music and movies/TV on it; I used one of these programmes and managed to fully recover about 60-70% of everything.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic