Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saturday Morning cartoons are Officially Dead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTVsux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saturday Morning cartoons are Officially Dead
    Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 2:38pm
 The final nail in the coffin for Saturday Morning cartoons: http://geektyrant.com/news/saturday-morning-cartoons-are-officially-dead
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 2:50pm

Maybe it's just that TV's no longer a kid's first "go-to" medium for entertainment??  The kids I know would rather be playing Minecraft than watching anything on TV.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 3:17pm
I think the day is not all that far off, when the internet kills off TV altogether.

TV sets will just be large, WiFi receivers with wireless input devices, setup in the living room just so the entire family can watch stuff or play video games together for awhile, before going back to their separate corners of the house & burying their faces back into their personal devices.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
thedude View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:58pm
I actually think the internet is everything people were afraid of about cable TV in the 80s.
Uncensored, easily accessible to children, brain-rotting, omnipresent and big-brotherish, etc.

I think the idea of TV was such a strong influence that the internet simply fulfilled all its aspirations. I don't think we're even close to scratching the surface of what the internet will eventually be. For now we're still looking backwards.

I know a lot of kids that still watch cartoons on Netflix when everyone else is asleep. They just naturally get up early like that. Once they hit a certain age, they stop paying attention to the cartoons and just want to play all day. For grandpa it meant playing ball. For those under 40 it was probably video games. Under 30, definitely. It's still video games. We really haven't gotten away from the TV paradigm. It doesn't look like traditional TV anymore because we have so many screens everywhere, but the use cases for a screen haven't dramatically changed.

Basically, the living room TV had sex with the pocket calculator and now we can't control their wild children.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 10:13pm

^  And we've bought into it all.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 10:50pm
^ And we're glad we did.

Can't live without it.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 11:22pm
Sad.....
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 1:58am
IMO Saturday Morning cartoons"Jumped the Shark" in the early 1970s when "do gooder" activists such as Peggy Charren Convinced the FCC that many cartoons were "too violent" and/or had "no educational value". As a result many shows were yanked off the airwaves. eventually to the point where they had to place that "EI" watermark which meant they were "politically correct" and "educated and informed". Fortunately most of the cartoons that MS Sharren had the FCC BAN have since been released on DVD. (I have over 100 in my collection) If you have children or Grandchildren I STRONGLY recommend you buy some of these sets and show them what REAL cartoons look like.
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 3:20am

^  Makes me think of Tipper Gore's crusade against popular music in the 80s.  In that case, though, it seemed not to have worked, considering the ultra-violent and explicitly sexual gangster rap that followed in the 90s.

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 3:53am
Does it always have to come down to the kids burying their faces in their gadgets and forsaking all earlier forms of entertainment? I mean, sure, you guys probably have a point, but it's just so damned sad and boring to think about!

I still hold out hope that perhaps there's another factor involved - maybe the fact we don't really have enough cartoons being made right now that are of a high enough quality to really qualify for something like the traditional Saturday morning cartoon block anymore.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 4:23am
^I think it's more that Cable TV allows for more freedoms, so that's where cartoons have gone. I can think of quite a few really great cartoons for kids, but they're all on Cable.

Also, I think the 15 minute timeslot is easier for them to work with, and I can't see the major networks allowing 1 15 minute episode a week.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 4:01pm
How long before the e/I crap invades cable too? I doubt it will be long.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 7:40am
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

IMO Saturday Morning cartoons"Jumped the Shark" in the early 1970s when "do gooder" activists such as Peggy Charren Convinced the FCC that many cartoons were "too violent" and/or had "no educational value". As a result many shows were yanked off the airwaves. eventually to the point where they had to place that "EI" watermark which meant they were "politically correct" and "educated and informed". Fortunately most of the cartoons that MS Sharren had the FCC BAN have since been released on DVD. (I have over 100 in my collection) If you have children or Grandchildren I STRONGLY recommend you buy some of these sets and show them what REAL cartoons look like.

I started buying the classic Warner Brothers cartoons on DVD (and VHS before that) as soon as they started showing up. Uncut, with excellent video and audio quality, with no ads other than for other cartoon DVDs being offered.

I was a kid in the 1970s, and hated when the network wonks started butchering the toons. I first noticed it when Wile E Coyote Super Genius stopped hitting bottom when falling into canyons, and other painful sudden stops. Then, Foghorn Leghorn would pick up a fence post, walk toward the Dawg, then the scene cut to Foghorn running and the Dawg chasing, then cut again to a totally different scene! Frustrating and stupid! Ruined the whole plot of the story. ABC had the broadcast rights at the time. I wrote them a rather uncomplementary letter about it, explaining my reasons, and discounting in advance the pseudo-psychological silliness I had read they were using to excuse it. Got back a form response basically saying sorry I was unhappy, but mamma knows best, and they were doing it for the children.

Damned nanny state self righteous dogooders! Been going on for decades.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 9:54pm
There's something quite sad about a kid who doesn't grow up with Saturday morning cartoons.  That was the time where our parents were still asleep and my sister and I would sit together in the same chair, get out all of our stuffed animals and have them sit with us and just watch Bugs Bunny for what seems like hours!  There was something quite badass about this.  You could go into the kitchen and eat Oreos first thing in the morning and your parents wouldn't even know!  The kids were in charge of Saturday morning!

Last year, Mr. Aleen and I went to an event in Pittsburgh called Monster Bash and on Saturday morning they showed vintage cartoons and served milk and cereal.  It was the best!
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:28pm
Imagine it. An entire generation born soft, without a backbone. I think the coming generation will be the first that the parents are like: "What the f**k are you doing? Your entire generation is a bunch of boring homogenized bastards"

It may be the first generation to break the old standby of: "Kids today are too crazy, back in my day..." Now it will be more like: "Do kids even leave the house anymore? Back in my day we went outside and watched cartoons that weren't pre-screened infront of a test-audience to see if it may be misconstrued as somehow vaguely offensive in some way."

I'm thinking this and I'm only 20. Jesus. I can only imagine how it must feel to see if you grew up in an earlier generation.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 12:13am

I remember the line-up in the early 60s.  Courageous Cat, Billy Bang-Bang and His Brother Butch and their Bang-Bang Western Movies (a title that was long, considering the show was 5 minutes), The Little Rascals...and then on to Mighty Mouse, Roadrunner, Magilla Gorilla and many others

There were also some good regular adventure shows on such as Fury, Sky King, Rin Tin Tin and My Friend Flicka.  And no winter afternoon would be complete without an Abbott and Costello movie and some Three Stooges.

For me, it wasn't only about cartoons.

Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 12:54am
I remember it was always sort of a ritual. Get up early on Saturday morning and sit infront of the old gigantic heavy Zenith tube-TV we had and watch cartoons for three or four hours. Back then I liked Tom & Jerry the best. Good memories.

Makes me wonder if the next generations will just be completely deprived of that experience. I know if I had kids, I'd be stocking up on some sets of the classics.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

I remember it was always sort of a ritual. Get up early on Saturday morning and sit infront of the old gigantic heavy Zenith tube-TV we had and watch cartoons for three or four hours. Back then I liked Tom & Jerry the best. Good memories.

Makes me wonder if the next generations will just be completely deprived of that experience. I know if I had kids, I'd be stocking up on some sets of the classics.

At this rate, we'll be lucky if our grandchildren aren't actually wired 24/7 to devices that instantly connect to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc...

I know technology advances, but I find it a shame that so much of our entertainment is being quickly centralized into one location/box. Pretty soon, entertainment will just mean sitting in front of our computers or cellphones (if it hasn't already), and any brick-and-mortar store that doesn't sell food or something that can't be digitalized or shipped will be closed down (again, already well on the way) - and we will live in a far more boring world than we do today.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:57pm

Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

I know if I had kids, I'd be stocking up on some sets of the classics.

That might be a good alternative, but not the real thing.  Part of what was great about Saturday morning shows was that millions of other kids were watching the same stuff as you were.  It built a nice common frame of reference that we get to talk about to this day.

phxradiolady View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phxradiolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

You're misinformed- Charen's wiki: (quote) "Although denounced as an advocate for censorship by her critics, including animation writers Steve Gerber and Mark Evanier, Charren has insisted she is an outspoken critic of censorship, and has cited her stance against the American Family Association's campaigns to ban various programs." (end quote)

Peggy Charen had nothing to do with FCC's censorship or deletion of programming- ALL Charen wanted to do was eliminate commercial abuses in children's programming (i.e., shows that did nothing but advertise their products like Transformers etc)

she was an avid ANTI-censorship person and not a friend of the "Parents Television Council". Trust me on this one- the folks that had good intentions in mind for the kid's programming did not have their wishes fulfilled when Sat. morning cartoons ended. Do you *really* think that the networks and the FCC are going to do exactly what the public wants? IF so- then why are the kartrashians still on TV and why was honey booboo even aired? Because of ratings..? LOL! aww.. how cute! people still think that ratings matter.

The FCC and "big wigs" who speak for us, the public, the public which is *supposed* to own the airwaves (and when was the last time the FCC asked you what you wanna see on tv hmm?) work together in tandem, using lots of lobbyists money to create a TV viewing experience. Somehow the govt and those "big wigs" got together and created a lesser of two evils: the E/I programming: 'educational/informative' crapola we now see. IS it educational? The garbage they show now is too dumb for little ones in my opinion. The 'education' in those shows is so banal, so dumbed down. What they did was almost as bad as them saying "so they don't want cartoons eh?? WE'LL show 'em!" So the programmers did what the law told them to do- that was about it.

But please- don't get mad at Peggy Charen nor even the Parents Television Council- the FCC & programmers did not do what they were asking for actually, but they don't mind the public blaming someone else for it.

If I were a child now I would be insulted and feel rather patronized with the so called "educational" stuff they show on weekends. The programmers don't care about educating your children, they only care about following the law.

Sometimes I wish US programming would follow what S Korea has on their educational shows: complex math problems! Turn on a TV there and was surprised to see that instead of infomercials.
phxradiolady View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phxradiolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 3:08pm
if you guys wanna see the oldies cartoons, there's a site I discovered (I am in NO way affiliated with that site fyi)
tubtub.com, has a bunch of "channels", one being 'Classic Toons' also Clutch Cargo (which was before my time!), Col Bleep, Gumby, among others.

tell me about the old cartoons.. I would wake up before mom n dad "ruined" my morning have a giant bowl of cereal and sit about 2 feet in front of our big tube console TV that looked like a piece of furniture, all wood enclosure that I used to have to polish with Pledge!

They ran those '40s cartoons too and sometimes there would be an ethnic stereotype- arghghgh the 'do gooders' didn't think we kids were smart enough to figure out what's real and what's make believe. Pink Panther show had a 'toon with a muslim-ey character that always was in a hurry to "go to the moskee" and no one so far on this planet remembers that cartoon that I can find (do you..? sighs...) Tom n Jerry, all the good stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic