Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot Coffee--Documentary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Coffee--Documentary
    Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 7:06pm
I am not writing this from a political slant; I am not trying to make political points.

This movie deals with several nuisance lawsuits and how they were handled. It also explains several legal situations/actions such as tort reform, mandatory arbitration, award caps, etc. Some of this I knew about but I learned a lot.

If you get nothing else out of this, I hope you pay attention to the lawsuit dealing with the elderly woman who sued when she spilled hot coffee in her lap. I remember hearing about it at the time and just thinking that it was silly. Some people, media, comedians, everyone, were making such a big deal out of it and mocking her. A while back a remember seeing something about it and that the real story was so blatantly different from what most people heard that it was ridiculous.

The real story is backed up by facts. Statistics and info that came straight from McDonalds, she wasn't driving & her nephew and she were parked fixing their coffee, and my goodness, the have pictures of that women's thighs and butt that you just can't hardly believe (she had to have skin grafts & was in hospital for a few weeks). McD's had over 700 burn complaints, their coffee was tested for temp and it was much higher than it should have been (past boiling). All of the people who vilified this lady should have had to apologize (she's deased now). But who was she, just some stupid, old broad who doesn't know what she's doing (dripping with sarcasm).

There were 3 other people and their stories. I was mad, I was disgusted, I cried.

Anyway, 2 thumbs up
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 7:37pm
I worked in McDonalds almost 35 years ago and let me tell you, that coffee was 180 degrees plus or minus five degrees. That is so needlessly broiling hot it is no wonder more people didn't seriously burn themselves.

A few month ago we were on a family road trip to a funeral and stopped at McDonalds for a coffee. It's still unbearably hot. You have to take the lid off and let it sit for 15 minutes before you can sip it. And I thought, "Jesus H. Christ, they haven't learned their lesson???" I want to see this documentary. Where was it playing bwestfall?
The artist formerly known as Madawee

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 8:04pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 8:06pm
I'm sure there is longer versions on your local Youtube station.  Big smile I'm not lovin it.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 9:23pm
Unfortunately it isn't showing at a theater anywhere. I ran across it when putting together a CD order for the library. We just got it in and I processed it quickly so I could take it home. It is 2011 copyright and available at Amazon to rent for 2.99, and I know that most decent size libraries would have it or get if or you from a branch library. I could check what libraries in your area (you don't have to give an exact place just your library system, etc.) carry it if you want me to, OCLC has everything.

I still believe there are frivolous lawsuits, there are always some who are trying to make a buck, but this made me believe that many we hear about in the media may be completely different when you get to the real story.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 10:03pm
^ Awesome, thanks for posting the trailer. I'll take a look for it. Poor lady. I would have spoken on her behalf.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 11:05pm

I remember the coffee story, and then looking into it, and seeing the reality.  This goes back to what you were saying in another thread about people reducing a situation to a one-liner, with no room for shades of gray.  When the coffee story was a one-liner ("Woman sues McDonald because coffee was too hot"), it seemed ridiculous.  But when you look into it just a little, you see it's not all that ridiculous.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 11:27pm
Indeed - when the piss-rags (yellow journalism press) reduce something so amazing to something absurd, the general populatin will fall in line before the truth hits.
The new documentary Hot Coffee presents filmmaker Susan Saladoffs impassioned arguments on four aspects of the civil justice system.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 11:54pm

^  Well, that headline is the truth.  She was awarded 2.9 mil.  But it was appealed, and then settled out of court for, presumably, much less.

But at the time, that headline was true.  Where reality gets lost is in the fact that the ultimate outcome was much less headline-worthy, so we're left thinking that she actually got 2.9 million.

It's partly our fault in not doing our own research.  We should know by now what the press is like.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 12:01am

no no no no no!

Who the hell is silly enough to believe she got more than the hospital bills paid and a monthly sustenence check for the rest of her life?! Fer chrissakes Thor - if she ende up getting that kind of money, how were the lawyers supposed to eat? what about the poor Judge?
That's just not fair. 
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 12:08am

I wonder if more people complain when their store-bought coffee's too hot, or too cold.

I'll bet most people would prefer their coffee be "too hot".  "Too hot" fixes itself.  "Too cold" doesn't.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 12:22am
I wonder what would happen if more people fixed their own coffee?
Tired of the excuses, I tell ya! Excuses are like assholes - everyone has one.
Make your own damned coffee if you want some.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I remember the coffee story, and then looking into it, and seeing the reality.  This goes back to what you were saying in another thread about people reducing a situation to a one-liner, with no room for shades of gray.  When the coffee story was a one-liner ("Woman sues McDonald because coffee was too hot"), it seemed ridiculous.  But when you look into it just a little, you see it's not all that ridiculous.

^  Well, that headline is the truth.  She was awarded 2.9 mil.  But it was appealed, and then settled out of court for, presumably, much less.

But at the time, that headline was true.  Where reality gets lost is in the fact that the ultimate outcome was much less headline-worthy, so we're left thinking that she actually got 2.9 million.

It's partly our fault in not doing our own research.  We should know by now what the press is like.

I was saying all that^ around here (on this forum) years ago when the subject came up & everyone else was bitching about how awful it was that she got awarded so much money.

Got into quite a lengthy debate over it too, as I recall.

Nice to see people finally catching up.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic