Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Radio Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-24 sleep disorder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jnmcda0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-24 sleep disorder
    Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 10:19pm
These ads run constantly on one of local stations.  It begins with a guy saying "You can't see me because of radio and I can't see you because I'm totally blind."  Okay, first of all, the phrase "you can't see me because of radio" is awkward.  Secondly, even if he wasn't blind, he still couldn't see me because, as he alluded to, there is no visual component to radio.

Later in the ad, the blind guy says "It's not a sleep disorder, it's actually Non-24".  The problem is, he never explains what Non-24 is and it sounds like he's saying "nine-twenty-four".  I heard the ad about 30 times before I figured out he was saying "Non-24"
Sponsored Links

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 10:41pm
OMG, this commercial gets on my nerves, too! I thought he was saying "nine twenty four", too. The way he says the phone number irks me as well. WTF is Non-24? 
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 11:50pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-24-hour_sleep%E2%80%93wake_disorder

I wondered as well.  Seems to affect totally blind people more than sighted.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 4:22am
9/24 sounds like a cheap high-alcohol content drink. There is probably a warning label on it that says:

"Drinking too much 9/24 can cause blindness"

And he can't sleep? No wonder. 9/24 contains 10 times more caffeine than Red Bull....

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 5:19am
Originally posted by Jnmcda0 Jnmcda0 wrote:

These ads run constantly on one of local stations.  It begins with a guy saying "You can't see me because of radio and I can't see you because I'm totally blind."  Okay, first of all, the phrase "you can't see me because of radio" is awkward.  Secondly, even if he wasn't blind, he still couldn't see me because, as he alluded to, there is no visual component to radio.

Later in the ad, the blind guy says "It's not a sleep disorder, it's actually Non-24".  The problem is, he never explains what Non-24 is and it sounds like he's saying "nine-twenty-four".  I heard the ad about 30 times before I figured out he was saying "Non-24"
What is the purpose of this commercial - is this just an 'awareness of illness/condition' advertisement, or are they promoting some sort of medical treatment ?
Do they mention the benefits of having a pet? They can help anyone rest better.
- I just spewed Dr Pepper across the room when I saw this one.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 5:06am
I hear this constantly on the radio but it's just another stupid disorder ad anyways so it doesn't annoy me. 

Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 5:16am
Oh great, there's another one, (paraphrasing here) "This is something you don't hear often on the radio; A blind guy."  No effing sh*t, genius, how would we know if the person behind the voice coming out of a pictureless box is blind?  More importantly, why would we even care?  In fact, why should we care about this non-24 non-sense?  It's not really OUR problem.  You can't sleep?  Big effing deal.  Do you want us to come over, give you a glass of warm milk (you hope), and tuck you in?  You're so tired that you can't function?  Then stay off the road, moron!  Don't operate heavy machinery if you're so obviously impaired!  Sit down in front of your big screen TV and watch PBS until you nod off.  That works for a lot of people.  But noooo, we have to hear the bitching & moaning accompanying the guilt tripe being laid on us.  Unbelievable....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 1:28pm

Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

You're so tired that you can't function?  Then stay off the road, moron!  Don't operate heavy machinery if you're so obviously impaired!  Sit down in front of your big screen TV and watch PBS until you nod off.  That works for a lot of people.  

I don't think such things would apply to/work for the target audience.

I haven't been subjected to the commercial, but it's interesting to know that the problem exists among the blind.  We take it for granted that, for the most part, we sleep when it gets dark.  Blind people don't have such a prompt.  If there's some sort of treatment for it, I see no problem advertising it.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 4:33am
Admittedly, sarcasm really doesn't come through in print.  Wink  The ads would have been better served by saying "Hi, we're blind people reaching out to other blind people with a solution to a problem they might be having" instead of the approach they've taken.   Why confuse people with the "cure'n clever" crap?  It's counterproductive....
Radio Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radio Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 7:44am
OMG the MOST annoying commercial EVER...and it's not even for a product, in which case, it would be good that everyone remembers the commercial (because they hate it).  Even if he weren't blind, he wouldn't be able to see me for the same reason I can't see him...RADIO!...And he's so PC, that he doesn't want to make it sound like being totally blind is NOT the reason he has problems sleeping at night.   It's actually 924.
Dr. John Dorian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. John Dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 10:19am
I had no idea it was actually NON-24 until I just now tried to look it up! There is another commercial with a woman that also sounds like "924". The one with the guy is creeping up on the "Dan Tullis/Joel ClarK" commercial for the most overplayed commercial, at least in the St. Louis listening area.
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 1:37am
I'm glad I'm not the only one trapped in my car all day with this spot coming at me in every break.
I especially like the woman saying "here's something you don't hear every day..."
No, I hear it every 6 or 8 minutes thanks to this campaign.
And I actually looked up "learnmore924.com" when I heard the first set of spots with the "you can't see me because of radio" guy.
However because of his enunciation I quickly memorized the number "eight fahv fahv, eight fahv six, two foah, two foah". So apparently the ads are effective
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 4:51am
Okay, the second wave of these ads is out.  They're pushing an herbal remedy with some weird name:

Quote Hetlioz (tasimelteon) is a melatonin receptor agonist used for the treatment of Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder (Non-24).  (Hetlioz (tasimelteon) will not make you want to watch the TV show 24.)  Common side effects include headache ("Your head's going to burst like a pimple!") , elevated liver enzymes (ALT)  (No MSG!), nightmares ("Carrot Top is touching me!") or abnormal dreams ("I enjoy Carrot Top touching me!"), and upper respiratory or urinary tract infections.  (Yes, pee in the lungs could be dangerous.) 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:59am

^oh, isn't that wonderful.

I keep dollar tree valerian root 'relax & sleep' pills around for those times when I can't seem to sleep - works so good it is almost too good - a Melatonin/Valerian Root compound for $1 - lots of sleep in a little,  non-addictive bottle.
Why pay more to support radio ads for the sleepless blind? 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic