Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The Dirty South"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "The Dirty South"
    Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 4:02am
So, it wasn't bad enough that TLC brought "Welcome to Myrtle Manor" to TV. True, there are a LOT of trailer parks in this area, but a lot of people in the Myrtle Beach area are really pissed about this show.

Now, the makers of "Jersey Shore" will be filming a new reality show in Murrells Inlet, which they humorously call "A little drinking village with a slight fishing problem." It's a nice, quiet place which is also called the Seafood Capital of South Carolina. There are great restaurants, the Inlet itself is beautiful, and it doesn't deserve this. They're calling it "The Dirty South."

Lots of very unhappy people right now.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 4:14am

They put this sort of trashy slant on reality either to make others feel superior or to at least play into the stereotypes others wish to hold.  You, Faith (and a few others here), know that those "Jersey Shore" types aren't really typical of Jersey people.  Though they do exist, they're more like cartoon versions of Jerseyans.  People like stereotypes.  People want to think of the South as primarily poor redneck trash, so here comes Honey Boo Boo and Myrtle Manor.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 4:34am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Now, the makers of "Jersey Shore" will be filming a new reality show in Murrells Inlet, which they humorously call "A little drinking village with a slight fishing problem."

Jimmy Buffet is probably kicking himself for not thinking of that one.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 5:52am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

They put this sort of trashy slant on reality either to make others feel superior or to at least play into the stereotypes others wish to hold.  You, Faith (and a few others here), know that those "Jersey Shore" types aren't really typical of Jersey people.  Though they do exist, they're more like cartoon versions of Jerseyans.  People like stereotypes.  People want to think of the South as primarily poor redneck trash, so here comes Honey Boo Boo and Myrtle Manor.

Well, the people on "Jersey Shore" are from New York. But there are a lot of people here who are well represented by Myrtle Manor. The thing about Murrells Inlet is that for the most part, it ISN'T trash.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 5:53am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Now, the makers of "Jersey Shore" will be filming a new reality show in Murrells Inlet, which they humorously call "A little drinking village with a slight fishing problem."

Jimmy Buffet is probably kicking himself for not thinking of that one.

Yeah, Jimbo. It does sound like something he would have sung about!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 8:18am

I just looked at the Wikipedia page for Murrell's Inlet, and there's a pic of a biker bar called "Suck Bang Blow".  There's probably a reality show right inside those doors.  LOL

tass View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 2:50pm
We love Myrtle Beach! And Murrell's Inlet too, that whole area is kayak heaven. Don't worry about the reality show. The Jersey caricature has run its course & people will get tired of laughing at southern caricatures before long. Next it'll be caricatures of midwesterners although I don't know how they'll make them entertaining.

(See? I just unfairly stereotyped a vast swath of the U.S. and I'll bet someone laughed & someone else cringed. It's so easy even basic cable can do it!)
HitsugiNerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HitsugiNerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 7:28pm
I have lived in the South all my life. From Memphis, Tennessee to Charleston, South Carolina. And I can tell you, that the South isn't all trailer parks and rednecks. (There are certain areas that have them, sure. But I digress.) Honestly, the most "southern" place I have ever seen was in Kinston, NC. And it's mostly in the country. People in the cities aren't hillbilly rednecks, with missing teeth and a want to inbreed. That's just stupid. Most shows revolving around the South, only show the ugly side. It doesn't help we have Honey Boo Boo now, to make us look worse. It would be like showing a show about New York, and only focusing on the Projects, people would be pissed, no? It really urks me when shows only show rednecks from the South. There are intellectual people who live down in the South, and there are interesting places in the South that many people haven't seen. Charleston is one hell of a town, and Savannah, Georgia is fascinating.  If any of you ever want to learn a thing or two about an interesting Southern town... Read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Trust me, you'll love it.

Another thing... Myrtle Beach is a tourist hot spot, and mostly city. There's barely any Rednecks there. Just saying.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 9:03pm
I've been to both Charleston, SC (half dozen times) and Savannah (twice)and I agree, these places are great.  I think Charleston is the best city in America--I'd live there if I could.  Love to walk around historic district and just look at stuff.  Houses, flowers, cemetaries, historic buildings, dolphins in river off the battery--making me sad, I haven't been there in a while.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
tass View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 12:53am
Seconding Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, great story, reads like a novel but it's nonfiction.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I just looked at the Wikipedia page for Murrell's Inlet, and there's a pic of a biker bar called "Suck Bang Blow".  There's probably a reality show right inside those doors.  LOL

We do have LOTS of bikers here, and lots more who come down for the huge Bike Weeks in May and later in September. They bring in a lot of revenue. They used to be based in Myrtle Beach, but MB made a huge mistake a few years back by trying to stop the bike weeks, in keeping with trying to make MB "family friendly." They did this by enacting a helmet law, which pissed off the bikers no end. (I am all for helmets. I think it's really stupid not to wear them.) But they also wanted to get rid of "Black Bike Week" for obvious reasons, and they couldn't appear to be prejudiced (nahhhh, not here!).

Instead, they started coming to Murrells Inlet, and that's where the money goes now. MB lost out on a lot of revenue.

Anyway, there are two Suck Bang Blows. (SBB actually refers to some function of a motorcycle motor.) One is a huge, open bar; the other is on restaurant row. It's next to one of the two Beaver Bars, which are owned by the sisters with the actual last name of Beaver.

Aside from those, there are lots of small bars along with strip (Hwy 17 Business), between Murrells Inlet and Myrtle Beach, including Surfside Beach, where I live.

We have hundreds of restaurants along the Grand Strand (which basically goes from the NC border to Murrells Inlet--about 60 miles), a crapload of world-class golf courses, and the most mini-golf places in the world. (At one point there were 268 of those, but some have closed.)

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 3:58am
Originally posted by tass tass wrote:

We love Myrtle Beach! And Murrell's Inlet too, that whole area is kayak heaven. Don't worry about the reality show. The Jersey caricature has run its course & people will get tired of laughing at southern caricatures before long. Next it'll be caricatures of midwesterners although I don't know how they'll make them entertaining.

(See? I just unfairly stereotyped a vast swath of the U.S. and I'll bet someone laughed & someone else cringed. It's so easy even basic cable can do it!)

Tass, do you live in South Carolina?
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 4:01am
Originally posted by HitsugiNerd HitsugiNerd wrote:

I have lived in the South all my life. From Memphis, Tennessee to Charleston, South Carolina. And I can tell you, that the South isn't all trailer parks and rednecks. (There are certain areas that have them, sure. But I digress.) Honestly, the most "southern" place I have ever seen was in Kinston, NC. And it's mostly in the country. People in the cities aren't hillbilly rednecks, with missing teeth and a want to inbreed. That's just stupid. Most shows revolving around the South, only show the ugly side. It doesn't help we have Honey Boo Boo now, to make us look worse. It would be like showing a show about New York, and only focusing on the Projects, people would be pissed, no? It really urks me when shows only show rednecks from the South. There are intellectual people who live down in the South, and there are interesting places in the South that many people haven't seen. Charleston is one hell of a town, and Savannah, Georgia is fascinating.  If any of you ever want to learn a thing or two about an interesting Southern town... Read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Trust me, you'll love it.

Another thing... Myrtle Beach is a tourist hot spot, and mostly city. There's barely any Rednecks there. Just saying.

I love Charleston! I miss living in San Francisco and being able to walk around, so it makes me feel better when I can walk around Charleston. And the closest Trader Joe's is in Mt. Pleasant (I used to have one across the street from me in SF), so that always makes me feel better, too!

I never got to read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. But I absolutely loved the movie!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 4:13am

We do have LOTS of bikers here, and lots more who come down for the huge Bike Weeks in May and later in September. They bring in a lot of revenue. They used to be based in Myrtle Beach, but MB made a huge mistake a few years back by trying to stop the bike weeks, in keeping with trying to make MB "family friendly." They did this by enacting a helmet law, which pissed off the bikers no end. (I am all for helmets. I think it's really stupid not to wear them.) But they also wanted to get rid of "Black Bike Week" for obvious reasons, and they couldn't appear to be prejudiced (nahhhh, not here!).

Do you think that's out of sheer prejudice, or is there a basis to it? 

I know this kind of stuff happens here in California.  The Cal State Fair ended "Cultural Day", but that was following year after year of violence.  And even the SF Zoo ended their's many years ago after too many episodes of gang violence and shootings outside the zoo.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 4:23am
Well, it's a bit of both. I've heard shop owners in the touristy places say there's a lot of shoplifting during that week. They also tend to violate the noise ordinances late at night. But I think a lot of that is the type of bikes most of them ride, which is the Japanese kinds of bikes (they're called "rice rockets," although I know that's not very PC. I just don't know what the proper name is for them.) They certainly can't be any louder than regular bikes, but they are higher-pitched. Also, I have to say that I've been turned off by the behavior of some of the women I've seen on the backs of the bikes. Whereas the white biker chicks are dressed, the black ones tend to wear bikinis, and when they're at stop lights, the women will stand up and shake their asses. It's really gross.

On the other hand, there's a lot of prejudice here. The cops stop them more than they stop the white bikers. I've never seen white bikers pulled over, but I see the black ones pulled over all up and down the strip.

Looking at this post, it sounds horribly racist. And I'm not. This is truth.

tass View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 7:52am

Tass, do you live in South Carolina?

VA but my mother is one of the ancient people in Charleston. Our most recent beach trip was Garden City. I prefer that area to OBX because there's plenty to do w/in walking distance. In OBX you're either on the beach or in the car, it gets boring. In truth I'd rather be hiking in the mountains than lounging on the sand but I'm usually outvoted.
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 2:54pm
I'm just getting tired of:

1. The constant slew of copycat FAKEality trash that glorifies disgusting and/or promiscuous behavior.  

2. Cable channels not listening to MANY viewers who protest that they don't want these types of shows anymore.

3.  The power$ that be wanting to make more/spend less $.

4.  So called "fans" that tell viewers, "Just don't watch it!"
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 12:48am
I might watch it just to see how they portray "southern folk". A lot has probably changed since I lived down there.
Murrells Inlet is really just about fishing and tourism. Was a bit surprised finding this video from a morning news program plugging where I lived. A short drive straight up Rt.79 from Calabash.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 2:14am
Originally posted by 70s80s 70s80s wrote:

1. The constant slew of copycat FAKEality trash that glorifies disgusting and/or promiscuous behavior.  

2. Cable channels not listening to MANY viewers who protest that they don't want these types of shows anymore.

Well, I generally feel the same way you do about reality TV. On the other hand, my son is a producer for reality shows, and it keeps him working. I'm glad to say that the ones he's rarely been involved in the train-wreck shows, although he was involved with the Tatum and Ryan O'Neal one a few years back--and that WAS a train wreck. Most are about jobs and design (Lifetime, A&E, HGTV, etc.). In fact, one of the recent ones he worked on is showing on Lifetime tonight after Project Runway. It's called Supermarket Superstars.

Okay, so he worked on five seasons of RuPaul's Drag Race. But it was fun and, hey, it pays! (He also turned down one of the Real Housewives franchises.)

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I might watch it just to see how they portray "southern folk". A lot has probably changed since I lived down there.

Murrells Inlet is really just about fishing and tourism. Was a bit surprised finding this video from a morning news program plugging where I lived. A short drive straight up Rt.79 from Calabash.

Most of my visits to the south were for military schools. Two months in Ft. Eustis VA. Near Newport News and Norfolk. I love Virginia but it is the "Northern South". I spent 9 days at Ft. Rucker (Southeastern Alabama. It was great. I went to a BBQ in Daleville and an overnighter in Panama City Florida. An overnight in Jacksonville FL. An overnight in Memphis TN. A week in Louisville KY. Two weeks in Huntsville AL. I loved "Rocket City". Three weeks near Ft Polk LA. I love the South and the people. I am not fond of the heat and humidity. I was in Huntsville in November. We had an overnight low of 19 degrees F. I had visited Southeastern AL in May. I packed shorts and T-shirts. I had to do some clothes shopping!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 8:08am
Originally posted by 70s80s 70s80s wrote:

2 happens because of 3. If MORE people weren't telling them they DO want these type of shows(which they tell them by watching), the channels would quit airing them. As long as the shows are making them money(which they will be, as long as the "MANY viewers who protest that they don't want these types of shows anymore." are outnumbered by the even MORE viewers who watch them), the channels are going to keep making them.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
dizrythmia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by HitsugiNerd HitsugiNerd wrote:

Memphis, Tennessee
suuuuuuup

and i agree about southerners not being completely uneducated. i'm 29, and aside from the first 18 months of my life (and two years overseas), i've lived south of the mason-dixon line my whole life. i'd like to think i'm not a drooling moron, and i know the people i surround myself in real life aren't. and hell, the only time i've ever been in a trailer is in grade school. due to overcrowding, some classes were taught in trailers.
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 5:16pm
All FAKEality crap is a dime a dozen, and it all looks the same to me.  I'm tired of hearing that it will never, ever go away--it HAS to YESTERDAY!  

And all those fans who insist they can't get enough of this drivel need to SHUT UP AND GO AWAY! Give us back our quality TV. If those FAKEality fans don't like it, THEY can change the channel or turn off the TV, SO THERE!!!
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic