Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Geico wedding - ad within an ad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geico wedding - ad within an ad
    Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 6:12pm
I haven't seen this posted on here yet, and I'm a little shocked, because this is brazen advertising within another advertisement (I hate one ad by itself enough, so why the f*ck does it have to be two at once?!?!)

Anyway, the Geico Gecko is at someone's wedding - he's part of the wedding party, and he's the one carrying the ring, so I'm not sure if he's supposed to be the best man or the ring bearer, but whatever. He starts babbling about insurance, as expected, but then when his spiel is over, he is asked for the ring, so he opens it, and it's a Helzberg's diamond ring with the name written in the box! He then comments on the fact that it's such good quality or something. So my question is: is product placement infiltrating ads for other products the way it has in movies? Because this seems like a huge overload to me. There is too much advertising as it is, we don't need to multiply it exponentially like this trend could... ICK!DeadDeadDead

Anyway, I couldn't find a video for the specific ad, but I found ANOTHER VERSION!!!

"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 8:55pm
The older guy was/is the gecko's boss. Seems like they phased him out of the gecko commercials.
No idea why Helzberg got publicity.
DesertX View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 11:31pm
GEICO and Helzberg are both owned by Berkshire Hathaway. I wonder if we'll soon be seeing the gecko wearing Fruit of the Loom tighty-whities while pouring some Heinz ketchup... Confused
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 5:29am
When commercial writers get stingy enough, I can definitely see this becoming the new model, with different non-competing companies going "halfsies" on the commercial costs.
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 3:29pm
If there's anything worse than advertising, it's product placement in advertising.  Why am I not surprised the degenerate dickholes of Geico did it?

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 3:50pm
I'm not tolerating "adception". LETS NOT PAY FOR 2 ADS, LETS JUST ADVERTISE WITHIN ANOTHER AD! Oh my god, that thought process gives me cancer. Sadly I do expect this from Geico, they've never been on the ball with ads.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 4:17pm
Yeah, I'm not really surprised either. Completely grossed out and doubly wishing i had that ~45 second back, but not surprised one bit...
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by DesertX DesertX wrote:

GEICO and Helzberg are both owned by Berkshire Hathaway. I wonder if we'll soon be seeing the gecko wearing Fruit of the Loom tighty-whities while pouring some Heinz ketchup... Confused
WinkThank You!
Now this makes sense and explains why I've seen Geico do this with Helzberg a few times over the last few years (each time with Helzberg Diamonds).
I also like your other thought about "will we see more of this?"
I think we have, here and there - seems we should probably expect more of the same (and no, being sold two things sure doesn't feel any better than one).
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic