Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gamefly: Bunch of Adults Screaming Like Kids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamefly: Bunch of Adults Screaming Like Kids
    Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 6:26pm

I can't stand the obnoxious screaming and crying over buying a bad game. Apparently their temper tantrums know no bounds, as they destroy their belongings. These people are the epitome of annoying. Also, most ADULTS, at least ones that serious about gaming look at a ratings site before buying a game, as opposed to the kids at my store who pick the cheapest game and I have to break it to them that it's terrible and they're only going to get frustrated playing it.
Sponsored Links

Wayne Rooney View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Rooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 8:26pm
Oh dear Lord!  You are very right!  This behavior isn't even slightly funny or cute when kids do it, and often when kids do it, it is a huge over-reaction.   Well, the same holds true here with adults - only somehow it seems even more disgusting and aggravating.  Ridiculous failed commercial!  I think they are attempting an advertising trick where they make the viewer wonder what is going on, then have the big reveal at the end... I have seen that work well in ads before.  But in this case, the screaming and stupid antics are so flat out intolerable and irritating, that by the time the reveal comes at the end, we either HATE the advertiser, or have left the room/changed the channel to get away from it.    Not at all funny funny, not at all effective, and genuinely annoying as well... and, yet,some ad agency raked in big bucks for it...  Commercials never fail to amaze me in that way
erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 6:29am

As a gamer, I like this commercial.  I have reacted like this to some very frustrating games.  I know a LOT of gamers that have as well.  As to why play a game that frustrates you this much or "read a review first", it's not necessarily a bad game that can make you mad.  Some of the best games just have parts that are extremely challenging and can be very frustrating.  Take racing games, for example.  I love racing games, but when you're just about to cross the finish line with a win and one of the computer cars crashes into you for no reason causing you to wreck and lose the race after you just spent 20 minutes on it, it makes you mad, and if I'm alone in the house with no one else around, I vent that frustration through a mini tantrum.  I have gotten over breaking controllers because they are expensive.  I don't actually break anything, but I will yell a few obscenities and maybe give a couch cushion a punch or two.

As for the commerical being ineffective, I have been playing video games for probably 25 of my 30 years on this planet.  I KNOW I'm not the only adult who still gets frustrated with video games and can relate to this commercial and gets a laugh out of it saying "yep, been there."  So while it may not seem effective to people who don't play games or whose gaming experience amounts to Tetris and Wii Fit, it is effective to its target audience: gamers.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 7:01am
I completely get what you're saying errod, my husband and brother are the same way. I'm a gamer too but I don't rage the same way. The thing is the ad isn't about getting frustrated by any old game, it specifically targets getting a "bad" game, like many of the Wii shovelware titles that are just down right unplayable.
alex9152 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex9152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 3:54pm
If you're talking about frustrating in difficulty, five words: Mario Kart Wii, Blue Shells. They cause the situation erod550 is talking about. I also had that feeling playing Super Mario Galaxy at a GameStop kiosk once, because the FIRST BOSS kept killing Mario easily because Mario is so slow. Nintendo seems to have toughened up their core titles to make up for the casual games they've released.

If you're talking just plain bad, Guitar Hero World Tour on the Wii became that when Rock Band 2 came out. The only reason to pick it up now is if you plan on getting Guitar Hero 5 because that game can import some songs from the old game. I never buy cheap shovelware games.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by alex9152 alex9152 wrote:

If you're talking about frustrating in difficulty, five words: Mario Kart Wii, Blue Shells.

LOL I hate those seek and destroy buggers. The NPCs ALWAYS wait until you're 2 seconds from crossing the line to launch one of those out. I still got all golds on my license in that game. If you play it with the wii controllers it's way harder then if you use an old school game cube controller, especially on rainbow road. I had a habit of falling off until I used a gamecube controller.

Originally posted by alex9152 alex9152 wrote:

I never buy cheap shovelware games.

GOOD! If less people bought them they wouldn't exist. Any time I overhear a kid just wanting to buy a game at work and brings up a cheap terrible one I always tell them they're just wasting their money, much to moms delight.
adnoxious View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adnoxious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 11:50pm
Gotta say, this is a commercial I should find irritating, but I like it. I've been a gamer for three decades now, and I know that sinking "Oh crap, this game sucks" feeling all too well. Reading reviews and ratings can give you an overview, sure, but you won't know whether or not you like the game until it goes into the machine. Viva Pinata got amazing reviews, for instance, so I bought it and was bored within 20 minutes.

And as a Gamefly subscriber, I gotta say, the service is incredible, whether or not you like the ads. I highly recommend.

-Adnoxious
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 11:52pm
Well, playing video games is one of the few things that makes me cuss and scream.
Annoying parts.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
MrResident View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrResident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 5:26am

I'm quite the gamer, and I thought this commercial was cute the first two or three times I saw it. But now it airs during every other commercial break, and it's expanded to more networks , making it harder to avoid.

The fit I throw every time I hear that loud screeching scream makes me rage harder then the actors in the commercial.

Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by adnoxious adnoxious wrote:

Gotta say, this is a commercial I should find irritating, but I like it. I've been a gamer for three decades now, and I know that sinking "Oh crap, this game sucks" feeling all too well. Reading reviews and ratings can give you an overview, sure, but you won't know whether or not you like the game until it goes into the machine. Viva Pinata got amazing reviews, for instance, so I bought it and was bored within 20 minutes.And as a Gamefly subscriber, I gotta say, the service is incredible, whether or not you like the ads. I highly recommend.-Adnoxious

I'm like you, and know what it's like to actually get violently mad over a video game, particularly in the golden years before memory saves. Unlike most endeavors where one can learn perseverance, I never had that luxury. Instead I've always had this image of some 13 year old dork mockingly saying that I suck in life because I was stuck somewhere and he got through it the first time. Yeah I know it's insane, but I knew these kind of dudes. But realistically I think the real reason why it becomes upsetting when you lose is the loss of time and energy.

But yes this commercial is childish. All one has to do before buying is to do a little research online. Even X-play's Morgan Web made this point.      
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 7:41pm

If ANY of these 'technidiots' work for me...consider yourself to have more time on your hands to find a game you really like.
Yea.
You're VERY fired.
Enjoy.
Get the f'k outta here.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
TonkyKnees View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonkyKnees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 7:43pm
I guess I'm in the minority, because I thought this was funny as hell. I can't say I've ever gotten that angry because I bought a game that was bad, though. Usually I've played the game or had some idea of what to expect when I bought it.

I had to laugh at the Mario Kart references, above. My son has it on Wii, and I haven't tried that version of it, yet, but I have played the GameBoy Mario Kart, and Game Cube Mario Kart Double Dash. I feel your pain. There were times I would want to hurl my GameBoy out the window. And, pre-Wii, I would go through phases with my sons' games, and I remember nearly crying in frustration over Finding Nemo for Game Cube. Hey, in my defense, that's actually a pretty hard game! And any of the newish Frogger games (not the old arcade versions). Okay, so maybe "crying" is a bit of an exaggeration, but I would have to pause the game, stomp outside, and have a smoke to cool off.

Fitting behavior for a thirty-something woman, huh? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic