Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Staples: Completely Tasteless Home Robbery Ad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Staples: Completely Tasteless Home Robbery Ad
    Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 1:14am
I just saw this ad for the first time a few minutes ago. A family comes home to notice that they've been robbed. Their entire house is ransacked, and dad points out they even took the flat screen. He goes into presumably their office and notices that "they didn't take the computer?". On the floor lies an old CRT monitor sitting on the horizontal tower, circa 1990s. Mom chimes in that maybe they should get a new computer! OFF TO STAPLES...

Am I the only one who sees something completely tasteless and crass here?! A family has been robbed and they take a hint that the computer is so ancient that they should go to Staples and buy a new one because the robber left it behind??? WTF!!
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 1:45am
Haven't seen it, but the idea that even a robber wouldn't want your stuff is kinda funny.

I used to lock my car so that no one would steal my CDs.  A few years ago, I came to the realization that no one wants my CDs.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 1:46am
Tasteless but not surprising.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Haven't seen it, but the idea that even a robber wouldn't want your stuff is kinda funny.

Yeah, it is kinda funny, but then again, who still has one of those old 90's model computers?

Oh wait..... up until a year ago, I DID!!!! Shocked

Oooops..... Embarrassed

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I just saw this ad for the first time a few minutes ago. A family comes home to notice that they've been robbed. Their entire house is ransacked, and dad points out they even took the flat screen. He goes into presumably their office and notices that "they didn't take the computer?". On the floor lies an old CRT monitor sitting on the horizontal tower, circa 1990s. Mom chimes in that maybe they should get a new computer! OFF TO STAPLES...

Am I the only one who sees something completely tasteless and crass here?! A family has been robbed and they take a hint that the computer is so ancient that they should go to Staples and buy a new one because the robber left it behind??? WTF!!

I actually found this commercial to be funny...
Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 3:49pm
Maybe it's funny in the intended way, but also in a way that backfires for the ad. Is it really a bad thing to have something that burglars wouldn't want?!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

Is it really a bad thing to have something that burglars wouldn't want?!!

No.  As I said earlier, now that I have little concern over people stealing CDs, I no longer worry much about locking my car doors or putting the top up.  About all else they'll get from my car is an old sweatshirt and some cigarette butts.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 6:29pm
I was thinking this wouldn't be funny at all to someone who actually had a burglary. I could see an entire set of people being really angry over this.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 9:23pm

Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

Is it really a bad thing to have something that burglars wouldn't want?!!

No.  As I said earlier, now that I have little concern over people stealing CDs, I no longer worry much about locking my car doors or putting the top up.  About all else they'll get from my car is an old sweatshirt and some cigarette butts.

Back when that punk kid with a slim-jim was going through my truck at will, he saw I had replaced the previous stereo he stole with a removable faceplate one. So he stole all the coins in the console and left the pennies. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 5:53pm
Confused...that almost looks like a PC/AT on the floor...
The IBM PC AT
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
keyboardplayer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 7:23pm
What kind of people would come home and find their house robbed, and then all they can think about is that their computer needs upgrading? Oh yeah, this is the wonderful world of commercials. Logic doesn't apply here.
This is your brain on commercials.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 7:43pm
LOLActually, I find the commercial makes me chuckle when I see the PC on the floor...just looking at it brings back memories of other times...

When PC's were first 'making the scene', I was positive they would never infringe on 'the big boys' playground' - that they were destined to achieve nothing more than to keep the wives scouring through their stored recipes, as each stood barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen where they belonged (mind you, my mentality has been 'corrected' since those daysOuch).
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 8:28pm

I like how casual they seem when they come through the door. Sleepy Oh humm, we were robbed.
"Quick honey, throw that old computer in the trash out back before we file a police report." 
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 2:46am
WOW!! ... THAT'S A NICE COMPUTER!!!
I KNOW!!!
Wink
belc0011 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belc0011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 2:49pm

Sorry, don't see eye-to-eye with you on this one.  I find this commercial HILARIOUS.  The idea of the robbers cleaning out their house but not bothering to take the ancient computer - gets me every time!

Bring me the head of a pig, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 3:34pm
I can't imagine what robbers would possibly want outta my house.  My 2005 PC?  My turntable, cassette deck and gigantic speakers?  My CDs and record albums?  My 2,000 lb TV?  All my jewelry (a gold chain that I always wear, a $5 watch, and my high school ring)?  My well-worn tools?  Doubt it.

I like it this way.  So, off to Staples I don't go.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 6:19pm

I can't imagine what robbers would possibly want outta my house... 

Wink(pssst! Thor - pass me your address - I'll get back to you on that) 
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 11:30pm
I saw it for the first time last night. I actually laughed pretty hard at the PC being left behind. 
The poster formerly known as producer757
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 1:52pm

I can't imagine what robbers would possibly want outta my house.  My 2005 PC?  My turntable, cassette deck and gigantic speakers?  My CDs and record albums?  My 2,000 lb TV?  All my jewelry (a gold chain that I always wear, a $5 watch, and my high school ring)?  My well-worn tools?  Doubt it.

I like it this way.  So, off to Staples I don't go.

That sounds exactly like my possessions. Except my watch was SIX dollars (I've had it almost three years and it keeps just about perfect time).

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:04pm
I have a buncha watches, but they all need batteries.  And it's impossible to open the backs of them without gouging myself with a tiny screwdriver or razorblade.  Cheaper just to buy a new one for a few bucks at Big Lots.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:37pm
I just saw this again and noticed at the end after they have their new laptop the dude says something about now people will want to steal it. Is THAT what we have come to as a society? We want things so nice that other people want to steal them from us? THAT is what we feel pride for? The envy and greed of others? Is he going to come home and climax as soon as he sees his home was robbed once again, and now EVERYTHING is stolen? I'm glad this family wallows in money so much that they can not only afford to replace everything that was stolen originally, but they even replace stuff that wasn't stolen in the first place so it's attractive to thieves! ::head explodes::
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 8:04pm
I agree, Heza.  I don't know that people want their stuff to be envied by thieves specifically, but many want their stuff to be envied by others in general.  I never really understood that.  The stuff I have, as outdated as it may be, suits me just fine.  My PC is from 2004.  There's nothing that a newer computer would offer me.  As long as mine works and does what I need it to do, I'm happy. 
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 8:24pm
Notice the wife didn't seem concerned about her jewelry box. So much for having any more "unwanted" gold laying around the home. 
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 12:53am
Reminds me of the time my car was broken into and my CDs were stolen. My Bob Seger, Steve Miller, and Guess Who CDs were left behind. It made me feel old and insulted. A year or so later my Son's 12 year old Honda that was worth about $500 had the driver's side window broken and the factory stereo which was worth maybe $10 stolen. The car was not locked!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 1:53am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Reminds me of the time my car was broken into and my CDs were stolen. My Bob Seger, Steve Miller, and Guess Who CDs were left behind. It made me feel old and insulted. A year or so later my Son's 12 year old Honda that was worth about $500 had the driver's side window broken and the factory stereo which was worth maybe $10 stolen. The car was not locked!

I drive a convertible.  I used to faithfully put up the roof and lock it whenever I went into a store.  Then I stopped.  I figured, what are they gonna take?  My Leonard Cohen and Black Sabbath CDs?  The CDs I burned from my iTunes?  No one wants this stuff!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic