Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Super Bowl Commercials :: 2011 Super Bowl Ads - Superbowl XLV
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMotorola Super Bowl Ad Controversy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Do Not Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motorola Super Bowl Ad Controversy
    Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 8:34am
Hello,

In 2009, I shot a short film about a girl who tries to break out of a world where everyone is plugged into their headphones with no human interaction. A lot of people were excited about the concept of the film and volunteered their time to get the film made.

Then in 2011, Motorola and the Anomaly New York ad agency released their Super Bowl ad “Empower the People” with the same concept.  The ending, in particular, is identical.

Both CNET and Engadget.com have since written features about the film's comparison to the Motorola advertisement.  I hope you don't consider this spam.  As indie filmmakers, we have no recourse but to write to blogs and message boards.

I only hope that you will please check out both works and decide for yourselves.  We're not suing anybody.  We just want to screen in the court of public opinion.

Here is a link to the CNET article, which features both the film and the ad:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20031643-71.html?tag=cnetRiver

Here is the Engadget article:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/14/filmmaker-says-motorolas-super-bowl-ad-bears-some-striking-simi/#disqus_thread

You can view the YouTube link directly here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmRsfnZJh0c

Thank you for your time,

Michael

Sponsored Links

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 1:00am
I'm sorry, but it's a fairly easy concept to come up with on the top of your head. I don't think they copied you in any way. We're a highly wired society and it's a hot button issue that we're not socializing enough. Try to sue? Who knows.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:03am
I liked the video of the film you provided well done.

I think it was chance that Motorola used an identical idea to yours.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic