Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Background Check

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Background Check
    Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 6:15pm
To volunteer at a Youth Group, I might have to go and take a Background Fingerprint Check so they don't think I'm like those Catholic Priests who...yeah.

What do they go through? Do they go through the webpages that you go or the e-mails that you get or the forums that you write on? It's that I have this Big Brother Fear....
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 7:41pm
I doubt that they're going to look too deeply into your life.  I doubt that a youth group even has the financial resources for all that.  They probably just want to make sure you're not a felon.
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I doubt that they're going to look too deeply into your life.  I doubt that a youth group even has the financial resources for all that.  They probably just want to make sure you're not a felon.

Well, I've never been finger-printed before, so that makes me okay?

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 8:24pm
As long as your finger prints weren't left on something.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 8:52pm
Well, at least we know you're not wanted by the man for outstanding parking/traffic tickets, MrCleveland.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  They're probably only concerned that you're not a registered sex offender, as you'll be working with teenagers.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 9:14pm

Well, at least we know you're not wanted by the man for outstanding parking/traffic tickets, MrCleveland.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  They're probably only concerned that you're not a registered sex offender, as you'll be working with teenagers.

Now...how do they register offenders? Is it like that "Dateline" thing with Chris Hanson? (No, I'm NOT doing that, I just want to know).

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 9:18pm
WinkGet used to it.
Some professions and companies are quite serious about 'background checks'.
Every member of my team (yea, me too) must go through an awfully thorough background check once each year - and that takes an entire week.
There is certainly goodness, here...we get a 'free week of vacation' and 'there are no secrets'. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 9:56pm
Pa, you passed a thorough background check?  Wink
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

Now...how do they register offenders? Is it like that "Dateline" thing with Chris Hanson? (No, I'm NOT doing that, I just want to know).

Check Ohio's Megan's List.  If you don't see your picture in there, don't worry.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 10:29pm

...What do they go through? Do they go through the webpages that you go or the e-mails that you get or the forums that you write on? It's that I have this Big
Brother Fear....
WinkAs long as you generally behave yourself, you're just another 'Average Joe' - however...between standard, easy to get for free Public Records, and the $20 'ramp-up', the 'interested party' can know more about you than you possibly know about your bad ol'self.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 10:43pm
Do they go through the webpages that you go or the e-mails that you get or the forums that you write on?

It's a Youth Group, not a Presidential Intern job. Although I think Clinton received both fingerprint and DNA samples.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 11:00pm
Youth group? Yuppers - sex-offender and criminal searches, at a minimum...then they might check to see if you ever got caught trying to go to an 'R'-rated movie before you were of age, or they will peek in your bedroom window while you are looking at those pictures in Hustler magazine alllllll by yourself...then they'll come take you away.

The following is what really happens when you fail a background check (MissyDWolf used to do the 'black suit' thing) ...so, behave yourself!
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:42am

To volunteer at a Youth Group, I might have to go and take a Background Fingerprint Check so they don't think I'm like those Catholic Priests who...yeah.

What do they go through? Do they go through the webpages that you go or the e-mails that you get or the forums that you write on? It's that I have this Big Brother Fear....

MrC, here in PA, it's pretty routine (and might be required by law, not sure) for churches, private schools, day cares, etc. to have a criminal history and/or fingerprint check done. There's a company in PA with walk-in centers around the state that takes the fingerprints, then the employer gets the results. As others have said, this is primarily to check for criminal record. They will likely check your state fingerprint database, and also the FBI's, as well as the sex offender databases. 

When you're going to be working with or near kids, they're primarily looking for sex and drug offenses; if not, they'll still check for drugs, theft, drunk driving, assault, etc.

A church I attended several years ago was just starting to make all the Sunday School teachers, youth group workers, and church nursery helpers get these checks done. I think it was the church's liability insurer that insisted they do so.

In the state government here, the State Police run a non-fingerprint check (probably just using SS number) for our temp contract employees who aren't working with kids. These are primarily concerned with theft, embezzlement, assault, etc.

However, I'm pretty certain neither of these types of background checks (at least in PA) gets into finances, web surfing history, email, forum posting history (whew!) etc.

Hundreds of threads killed.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 3:58am
I don't know about PA...and probably it wouldn't happen with Youth Services - but many places certainly do look at one's financial history - and very seriously. Much is excused - even banruptcies...just be aware.
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 5:20am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I don't know about PA...and probably it wouldn't happen with Youth Services - but many places certainly do look at one's financial history - and very seriously. Much is excused - even banruptcies...just be aware.

You're right, of course, Pa. I was keying off MrC's statement that he was volunteering with a youth group, and just pointing out that in that particular instance, they're more likely to focus on one's background as it relates to fitness to be around kids. (As opposed to being concerned about the types of companies MrC is funding through his vast investment portfolio.)Smile

With a background check for a fulltime, paying job, they probably will look at everything. And then they'll check out the pictures on your Facebook page.Shocked
Hundreds of threads killed.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 6:03am
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

...And then they'll check out the pictures on your Facebook page.Shocked
It happens...we do it - and we're very serious about it.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 2:06pm
Here's what someone told me.

If you weren't arrested...you'll be fine!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 2:28pm
I got a fix-it ticket a few weeks ago that I haven't paid yet.  I hope no one does a background check on me.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 2:57pm

and you still were hired......Wink
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 5:20pm

I got a fix-it ticket a few weeks ago that I haven't paid yet.  I hope no one does a background check on me.

Big%20smile...not to worry...'they' know where you live and will be coming to take you away (when the time is right)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 5:33pm
There were some cop cars on my street last night, Pa.  I hardly ever see cops in my 'hood.  I thought maybe they were coming for me.  Alas!  They weren't.  I was really hoping to try fleeing, and then resisting arrest when their K-9s would find me hiding in a dumpster in the back of a 7-11.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 5:59pm

There were some cop cars on my street last night, Pa.  I hardly ever see cops in my 'hood.  I thought maybe they were coming for me.  Alas!  They weren't.  I was really hoping to try fleeing, and then resisting arrest when their K-9s would find me hiding in a dumpster in the back of a 7-11.
Probably a 'false call', or confusion over the address...no biggie, they should be back very shortly...and remember, if they are bringing their lil' 'puppy sniffers', be sure and wear your 'bacon suit'...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

and you still were hired......Wink
Confused...yea - but they keep taking my 'swingline'...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic