Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allstate---"Recalculating!"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allstate---"Recalculating!"
    Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 11:24pm
Another great one in Allstate's "Mayhem" series of ads.  In this one, Mr. Mayhem plays a faulty GPS system giving the driver bad directions, and causing him to crash into other vehicles.

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:16am
Big%20smileI like it!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 1:00am
Fuck Allstate.

I hate anything & everything associated with Allstate.

State Farm too.

Money grubbing scum.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 1:53am
The Mayhem ads crack me up.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Fuck Allstate.

State Farm too.

Money grubbing scum.

Sounds like someone needs a good BM.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 6:10am
To me, nothing beats Mr Mayhem's line, "You see, that's a problem, because I like Johnny and now I'm emotionally compromised." LOL LOL LOL

There's just something funny about how he speaks the mind of a completely emotional teenage girl with the mind and mouth of a 40 year old emotionless guy.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 2:57am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Fuck Allstate.

State Farm too.

Money grubbing scum.

Sounds like someone needs a good BM.

Nahhhh, I have at least one of those everyday.

Often times two.

Sometimes three.

What I really need is a nice POA. Wink

Anyway, the reason I hate Allstate is because after several years of being a good customer, paying my premiums on time & never filing one cent in claims against them, they just up & decided to drop me along with a couple of hundred thousand other customers across the state.

State Farm recently announced they're doing the same thing. Maybe for the second time if I remember correctly.

Screw all those greedy a-holes.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

To me, nothing beats Mr Mayhem's line, "You see, that's a problem, because I like Johnny and now I'm emotionally compromised." LOL LOL LOL

There's just something funny about how he speaks the mind of a completely emotional teenage girl with the mind and mouth of a 40 year old emotionless guy.

"OMG....Becky's not even hot..."   Best commercial one-liner I've seen..
Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 4:06pm

Anyway, the reason I hate Allstate is because after several years of being a good customer, paying my premiums on time & never filing one cent in claims against them, they just up & decided to drop me along with a couple of hundred thousand other customers across the state.

State Farm recently announced they're doing the same thing. Maybe for the second time if I remember correctly.

Screw all those greedy a-holes.

Thanks for reminding me.  My car insurance payment is due.

I got pulled over by a cop last week.  Brake light gone bad.  I was quite impressed with myself that I had my registration and insurance info all in my car and in order.  I pay those bills on time, but then I sometimes forget to put my "proof" in the car.

I'm thinking of switching my insurance or dropping collision.  $1200/yr seems a lot for a 10 y/o car and for someone who hasn't had a real violation in 20 years.  I've had Mercury for years.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 4:13pm
I like the "emotionally compromised" line, too.  Also, "my BFF Becky".

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 4:23pm
I pay about $400 a year for liability & PIP from Progressive.

The one & only time I was involved in a wreck, a taxicab pulled out in front of me on a rain slick street & I slid right into him broadside.

The cab company who is self insured, gave me a thousand bucks, plus the two hundred they would've gotten had they scrapped it at the junkyard like they wanted to, plus another two hundred for a large bruise on my arm that I sufferd when I pitched forward from the impact & was caught by the shoulder strap of my seat belt.

I took some of the money, had a body shop straighten the frame, then scoured a few local junkyards & found all the replacement parts I needed, with the exception of the water pump & radiator which I had to buy new & put it back together myself. Kept the rest in the bank.

That was early 1997 (January AAMOF.... 14 years ago this month) & I'm still driving it.

Different colored hood & all. LOL

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 5:55pm
I think I've become neurotic.  I lost a hubcap on my current car a while back.  It was this little shiny plastic disc that protects the lugnuts on my wheel---no more that 4 inches in diameter---and I immediately had to get a new one.  That day!  $55!!!

I once paid my insurance one day after it was due, and I wouldn't drive that day for fear that if I got into an accident, Mercury would find some reason to deny my claim.  Never mind that the last accident I got into was 1979.

And oil changes??  Every 3,000 miles.  3,001 won't do.

I'm working on this.  It's a tad crazy.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:10pm

I think I've become neurotic.  I lost a hubcap on my current car a while back.  It was this little shiny plastic disc that protects the lugnuts on my wheel---no more that 4 inches in diameter---and I immediately had to get a new one.  That day!  $55!!!

I once paid my insurance one day after it was due, and I wouldn't drive that day for fear that if I got into an accident, Mercury would find some reason to deny my claim.

And oil changes??  Every 3,000 miles.  3,001 won't do.

I'm working on this.  It's a tad crazy.  LOL

You're just wasting your money on 3,000 mile oil changes.

I have a video tape of an ABC 20/20 segment from back in the 90's in which they or some consumer group funded a study in which they took 10 brand new NYC taxi cabs & changed the oil every 3,000 miles in half & every 7,500 miles in the other half.

At 50k miles, they took them out of service, tore the engines down & used micrometers & electronic measuring equipment to compare the wear & tear on the moving parts.

Verdict.... NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE.

They surmised that the important thing is that you change the oil on a reasonably regular basis. Five or six thousand miles is fine. I go 5 - 6k & my cars are always still running fine by the time they get up near 200k miles when I sell them & get something else.

Maybe I'll try to find that video, convert it to digital & upload it to YouTube.

Very interesting.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:32pm
Chrysler actually recommends every 6,000 miles.  That's what makes my every-3,000-miles rule even stupider.  I justify it because I don't rack up 3,000 miles very fast these days.

It's like tires.  They might be good for a certain number of miles, but from what I understand, the rubber will deteriorate over time, whether you drive or not.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 11:32pm
I like this winter time version.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 2:25pm

It's like tires.  They might be good for a certain number of miles, but from what I understand, the rubber will deteriorate over time, whether you drive or not.

That is absolutely TRUE.

Had it happen to me. Bought a set of 40,000 mile tires that had been on the car for a good 4 years & only had about 10k miles on them. Yes, I literally only drive about 2,500 miles a year. Anyway, something went hinky with one of the front tires, so I took it back to the tire place to get the free rotation that was part of the deal.

They refused to put the tire back on the car because the tread had separated & another one was showing signs of the rubber sidewalls cracking & splitting. I had to haggle with them over the price of a couple of new tires, then a few weeks later, went somewhere else & replaced the remaining two. And all 4 of them still had plenty of tread left.

Same thing will probably happen to this set unless I start driving a lot just to get my money's worth out of them.... which would of course cost me a fortune in gas.

Confused

If I could just get someone to tow me around town......

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:29pm
My car is now 10 years old...and it just hit 70,000 miles this weekend.  In fact, I just got my first new battery last year.  So, I don't put that many miles onto my vehicle, either.

I use that tire stuff to make my tires look all nice and shiny and new.  It fools me into thinking that they actually are new.  I just hope I don't find out otherwise when I'm on the freeway.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic