Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where's this "P. C." world when you NEED it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where's this "P. C." world when you NEED it?
    Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 10:43pm
I don't know if it's a case of "the pendulum swinging back," but I was in four different stores two days ago looking for non-denominational Holiday cards, not because I need those in general, but for a few cases. Anyway, every card I saw was a Christmas card, period, except of course a certain number of Hanukkah ones, but not a single generic one that I could see. The people who shout about Political Correctness ruining Christmas in every single direction would be kind of inspired at seeing that.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:52pm
One year, I sent out Kwanzaa cards to everyone.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 3:35pm
There is a good selection of non-Christian themed Christmas cards out there if you look in the right places. I'm pretty sure they run the gamut all the from risque to Satanic...

Put a Santa Claus hat on this guy:

& you'd have the most Satanic Christmas card imaginable.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Put a Santa Claus hat on this guy:

& you'd have the most Satanic Christmas card imaginable.

I sent out a few Obama Christmas cards that I found at Target in 2008.  And no, they weren't joke cards, although there're plenty of those this year.  LOL

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 6:01pm
I keep a list of people I receive cards from so the following year, I know who to make them out to. Last year, I went one step further and coded them.
TB = Tyoical Business
R = Religious
U = Ugly
FP = Fmily Picture

There are some people who send some of the FUGLIEST cards - this year, I'm armed to deal with them!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I keep a list of people I receive cards from so the following year, I know who to make them out to. Last year, I went one step further and coded them.
TB = Tyoical Business
R = Religious
U = Ugly
FP = Fmily Picture

There are some people who send some of the FUGLIEST cards - this year, I'm armed to deal with them!

Yeah, I send bad cards out to people I know will appreciate them.  I have one that has both the Nativity scene and a snowman on the front...as if it snowed in Bethlehem that morning.

To some of my Jewish friends, I've sent out reeeeally religious Christmas cards.

One year, I went looking for Ramadan cards to send out to people.  Couldn't find any, though.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:16pm
Me and my Sister used to have "Card Wars" sending each other some of the most IRRATATING Cards ever. Then, as our 40th Birthdays approached, we decided sending Cards regarding that department was "Hitting Below The Belt", and we called a Truce.LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:27pm
Another peeve Ihave is people who just sign their names "Mary and Joe"  no "Dear madawee and Beloeved"  No "Cheers"  "Best Wishes for the New Year"  nothing.It's even worse when people have printed cards. I mean come on - put a LITTLE effort into it
Pisses me off!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:56pm
I've signed Christmas cards with other people's names---George Bush, Barack Obama, Osama Bin Ladin, various relatives who died decades ago, etc.

I have fun with Christmas cards.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 10:21pm
^^ I usually hand pick cards for the family and good friends. The rest get bulk cards.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 11:23pm
We either find WolfyCards, which are totally "non-religious", or we actually create our own - crepe paper and crayons...I'm simple, doncha know.
...and this one for the folks that P.O.'d MissyDWolf, all year...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 12:57am
This is off the topic of Christmas, but one of my pet peeves is that whole tribe of in-your-face realism type birthday cards. And as usual, it doesn't take touchiness to feel that way. It's just that, once you've seen a hundred cards about how "You know you're incredibly old when..." or "The girl in this picture would never, ever sleep with you" before those two jokes wear thin. That's one more reason I think that unsentimental people often make sentimental people seem very original by comparison!
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 1:01am
My sister and I (both over 40)have sent age-related cards for years and if I stopped now she would think I was sick or something.  We just have to try to outfunny each other.  Of course, mine are always funnier than hers Wink
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 4:30pm
I can only think of two (of that kind) off-hand that struck me as especially witty. One showed one prehistoric animal looking at another in a surprised way and saying "Aren't you extinct yet?"
The other showed a photo of Barbara Feldon and the caption was "Happy birthday to someone who looks a lot younger than 99."
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 4:37pm
My absolute best was one of the earliest:  On the outside it said, "When they made you, they broke the mold."  On the inside, "and beat the hell out of the moldmaker too."
Anyway, we both thought it was really funny and she still has that card.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 11:09pm
I saw one once that had Santa coming face-to-face in the livingroom with the little boy of the house.

Santa says:  "I'm sorry you had to see me, Timmy.  Now, I'm going to have to kill you."

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I saw one once that had Santa coming face-to-face in the livingroom with the little boy of the house.

Santa says:  "I'm sorry you had to see me, Timmy.  Now, I'm going to have to kill you."

Some years back we had a nice stack of them - a few I remember:

1.) Painting of a Jester in a Santa Claus hat, dancing and playing accordion, and singing:
"A tisket, a tasket, a condom or a casket"

2.) One cursory look and you would be convinced that this was the classic "I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"-Rockwell print, the front of the card...but that wasn't quite the case, if you LOOKED. Open the card and it read:
"I Saw Mommy F**King Santa Claus" 

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 3:00am
I sent a friend of mine a really cool "Christmas in Florida" type card one year.

It was a real "airbrushy looking" image in which Santa was standing next to a classic convertible with a surfboard in the back, under a palm tree wearing a Hawaiian shirt & dark shades, drinking a cold beer. 

He looked like Ernest Hemingway.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I sent a friend of mine a really cool "Christmas in Florida" type card one year.

It was a real "airbrushy looking" image in which Santa was standing next to a classic convertible with a surfboard in the back, under a palm tree wearing a Hawaiian shirt & dark shades, drinking a cold beer. 

He looked like Ernest Hemingway.

I think I sent the same one---'cept mine was Christmas in California.  Had palm trees and maybe a T-Bird from the second era of T-Birds---maybe a '58 or '59.  That would've been 1980.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 3:34am
Coulda been the same one.

The one I sent was in the mid 80's, around '85 or '86.

The Santa was kind of a macho looking Santa. Shirt open, tanned, beard trimmed kind of neat.

A kind of "cool guy" guy.

I don't think the card actually said where it was supposed to be.

Just on a beach somewhere.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic