Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Repeat Offenders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Outback Steakhouse Rant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Outback Steakhouse Rant
    Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 5:29am

You all know there are things in the world that I despise. The authenticity of Outback Steakhouse are one of those things. A restaurant that says one thing and serves another is completely irritating....moreover they are disturbing. What's disturbing about them is they are inauthentic and still serve the same bullsh*t you would find in a local "greasy spoon" diner.

Why the hell would you serve the same high-fat, oversized crap that one could find in any other American corporate-owned steakhouse and call it "Outback".  If you're going to have an Australian themes in your dining establishment, one should make an effort serve Australian cuisine, not some OVERPRICED, OVERRATTED,version of a deep fried onions and goddamned cheeseburger and a T-bone steak! Get real, here. Theme restaurants like the Outback are exploitative and insulting. It's like P.F. Chang's and the Olive Garden! They're exploitative because you're using decor as if you're giving respect to another culture, when you're really not. They are insulting becuase the people who started these franchises are very ignorant of what real Chinese, Italian, and Oceanic cuisines really are and the fact said cuisines have nutrients, flavor, and make sense. They aren't the wretched culinary abortions that could only come from the mind of a greedy of a FAST FOOD Tsar sh*tbag.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 5:55am
(Confused...still trying to see what you DO like...in other words, sure - 'Outback' serves a funny-cut onion and a sqare piece of meet, and they call it 'Aussie Outback'.)
Then again, you mention it is not 'authentic'...so, out of curiosity - and because I'm too lazy to look, help me, please.
What IS 'authentic outback Aussie food'?
I'm ready - let's crucify 'em!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PitLoad413 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 6:29am
C'mon you think that whatever's on the menu is from Down Under? They serve ANZAC biscuits with coconut, the serve Kangaroo and Ostrich meat in their steaks and burgers. If Outback had served Ostrich and Kangaroo steaks in the first place we would not be having this conversation.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 1:01pm
I don't care what they call it,  I find the food and service very good.

Here's a link to the company website explaining the origin of the name.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by PitLoad413 PitLoad413 wrote:

C'mon you think that whatever's on the menu is from Down Under? They serve ANZAC biscuits with coconut, the serve Kangaroo and Ostrich meat in their steaks and burgers. If Outback had served Ostrich and Kangaroo steaks in the first place we would not be having this conversation.

I agree that if Outback served that food, we wouldn't be having this conversation...because no one would be dining there, and Outback would have become just a blip in the history of dining out. 

All Outback is, is an attempt to capitalize on the "Down Under" craze that seems to have begun in maybe the mid-80s, and give diners the Disney version of Australia.  And while it may be just a theme restaurant, it's worked, so who's to argue with success?

As far as the supposed need to present another country's food exactly as it's done in the country of origin---why?  If ducks' feet is not something a Chinese restaurant is going to be able to sell in the US, why would PF Chang's (or even your basic Chinese restaurant) bother with it?  Their primary responsibility is to cater to their patrons' tastes.

Besides, kangaroo is not something Australians eat much of.  In fact, they rarely eat it.  It's used primarily "down under" in dog food.  For Outback to serve kangaroo, they'd be presenting yet a different sort of false version of Australia.

In fact, per Wikipedia, Australians eat not much differently than Americans.  In that regard, Outback is authentic.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 4:06am

And don't forget Vegemite.

Another Australian staple.

If you've never seen or tasted it, it's a thick, dark, bitter tasting paste that comes in a jar like peanut butter.

Nasty tasting stuff that is, from what I was told by a couple of Aussies, an aquired taste.

But hey... if it's authenticity ya want...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:05pm
DeadVegemite!
...well, if you want to snatch it from Amazon, you have 'choices'!

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 7:44am
Actually at least in my humble opinion, Outback serves a good product. Their service is very good (hottie waitresses), rack of lamb always tasty and bloomin onion loaf hits the spot. My bitching for chain sh*t restaurants is The Olive Garden. Their food tastes like crap and those commercials are obnoxious.
I approve this message.
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 10:47am
Chop Suey is an American invention. So are Fortune Cookies. The US exports fortune cookies to Communist China to be served in real Chinese restaurants. So What? Wink

Bloomin' Onions are great.  Approve Vegemite is vile. Dead Nor am I much of a fan of lamb or mutton.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
LilRebelChick View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 8:22pm

You all know there are things in the world that I despise. The authenticity of Outback Steakhouse are one of those things. A restaurant that says one thing and serves another is completely irritating....moreover they are disturbing. What's disturbing about them is they are inauthentic and still serve the same bullsh*t you would find in a local "greasy spoon" diner.

Why the hell would you serve the same high-fat, oversized crap that one could find in any other American corporate-owned steakhouse and call it "Outback".  If you're going to have an Australian themes in your dining establishment, one should make an effort serve Australian cuisine, not some OVERPRICED, OVERRATTED,version of a deep fried onions and goddamned cheeseburger and a T-bone steak! Get real, here. Theme restaurants like the Outback are exploitative and insulting. It's like P.F. Chang's and the Olive Garden! They're exploitative because you're using decor as if you're giving respect to another culture, when you're really not. They are insulting becuase the people who started these franchises are very ignorant of what real Chinese, Italian, and Oceanic cuisines really are and the fact said cuisines have nutrients, flavor, and make sense. They aren't the wretched culinary abortions that could only come from the mind of a greedy of a FAST FOOD Tsar sh*tbag.

Lol, so true. I frequently travel to Australia and they have no idea what a "Bloomin' Onion" is. My boyfriend is an Aussie. If I brought him to the Outback Steak House, he'd laugh so hard at the menu he'd choke on the food.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

DeadVegemite!
...well, if you want to snatch it from Amazon, you have 'choices'!

I love my Aussie friends but I can't stand Vegemite, lol. My cat loves it though...and then she gets gas, uggh!Dead
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Here's a link to the company website explaining the origin of the name.

The food may be good, but far from authentic. I've been 3 times to Oz and on one visit, spent a year there. Nothing they serve is Australian.
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

And that's the whole point.

We have two small-chain Mexican restaurants in our area. I'm told the one is very like the food you'd actually find in Mexico, and on their website and menu they prominently display "Authentic Mexican Food." But I hardly ever eat there because I just don't like it--something in the seasoning they use in a lot of the cooked meats.

The other restaurant doesn't make the "authentic" claim, although the guy who owns it is of Mexican descent and much of the staff looks and sounds Mexican. But their food is great, the atmosphere is nice, and the service is very good, so that's where I go.
Hundreds of threads killed.
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 3:23pm
I don't know one way or the other about Outback, but I agree with the posters here who don't have a problem with the Chinese and Mexican places they mentioned. But I can go farther - I feel like the only one on the planet who doesn't have any problem with Olive Garden. And not just the food, but on a smaller level, all that Italian music and American stuff by Italian-American singers. Here's what threatens to keep me from enjoying food in a restaurant - having it accompanied by CNN and FOX and their counterparts (which plenty of otherwise nice restaurants are willing to do for some reason).
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:24pm

I can't speak for kangaroo, but I have had ostrich & it's freaking delicious!  seriously, it's really really good!

I HATE Outback.  I've eaten at Outback's 1 or 2 times ever - the food was not memorable in a good or bad way.  The reason I hate it is because of the G0D D@MN commercials..  That guy with the horrible fake Australian accent that you just know is some douche wannabe actor with frosted tips & a waxed chest who lives in L.A.  Every time I hear that voice I want to reach through the tv & shove his head "down under" the water until the bubbles stop.  That would be a "g'day" for me...
Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:55pm
jerky, you really shouldn't watch TV if it makes you feel that way after watching a commercial.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic