Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kung Fu Panda

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kung Fu Panda
    Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 7:10pm
Does anyone else think that this is one of the worst looking CGI animated movies ever?

I don't mean the concept or the plot, I mean the animation itself. 

In one of the scenes they show on TV they show this cameral looking up view of, the Panda (I think) sitting on one of the other characters.  It simply looks horrible to me.

What do you think?

Sorry, there's no movie related rants forum.
Sponsored Links

kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 1:34am
No...
In fact, it looks beautifully animated, just like every other Dreamworks film...
Don't know what you're on. x]
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 6:56pm
bah, doesn't look horrible at all, it looks very smooth, the commercials make the movie look bad though.

If you really want to see primitive looking dodgy jerky animation just take a look at any early Playstation game, urk.

when I mean Playstation I mean the first one.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 11:57pm
CGI has pretty much been old hat for years now.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 12:09am
Originally posted by kat kat wrote:

No...
In fact, it looks beautifully animated, just like every other Dreamworks film...

Really?  Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong movie.

Ratatoue was beautifully animated.  The one I'm thinking of is really bad.

I'll have to see if I can YouTube some clips.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 7:16am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

No...

Really?  Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong movie.

Ratatoue was beautifully animated.  The one I'm thinking of is really bad.

I'll have to see if I can YouTube some clips.

I guess thats kind of a Pixar vs Dreamworks argument. My beef is with Kung Fu Panda itself, might as well call it "Jack Black is....A PANDA"...much like the South Park episode with all the fake Rob Schneider movies like "Rob Schneider is... A STAPLER"

I like Jack Black, I like CGI, I just don't like all the Kung Fu Panda hype. It's geared towards kids, and I have no doubt they'll just eat it up. As an adult who enjoys animation, and usually don't mind indulging in something that goes down the "kiddy" entertainment road, but I just can't bring myself to like KFP. The Shrek movies are alright, but I don't think they need a 4th one, and then probably a 5th. Pixar is set to make Toy Story 3 after over 10 years from the original. Dreamworks is milking Shrek like it can't come up with any other ideas. Shrek found love, Shrek had babies, Shrek found a new king, really what else is there to tell? Shrek has a mid life crisis?

I guess I've made my position in the Pixar vs Dreamworks argument apparent  Tongue
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 2:15pm
Maybe Shrek goes through a divorce?
Shrek loses his job?
Shrek files for Medicare?
Shrek gets his diabeetus supplements from Liberty Medical?
Shrek lose his house?
Shrek goes gambling?
Shrek signs up for freecreditreport.com?
Shrek meets Billy Mays?
Shrek grows a beard?
Shrek gets into a sex scandal?
Shrek becomes president?

LOL

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 6:56pm
You have now given Dreamworks fodder for the next decade with Shrek...

*snicker* diabeetus, I love that word, and your avatar for that matter.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 3:45am
Sorry, I don't consider this beautifully animated.  I don't care about pixar verse dreamworks either.

kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 11:33pm
Ratatouille was the most amazing movie ever and nothing can ever ever ever ever ever top it ever.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 12:20am

Ratatouille was the most amazing movie ever and nothing can ever ever ever ever ever top it ever.

The Lion King...for non CGI movies at least. Ratatouille ranks up there if it isn't number 1 for CGI.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 12:39am

I loved the old,hand colored cells and backgrounds of years ago, [Bambi, Snow White etc.] I have gotten used to CGI, but, it hasn't totally won me over. I did love Ratatouille though.

BonosGal View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BonosGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 2:20am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Shrek gets his diabeetus supplements from Liberty Medical?

LOL

I swear to God I'll pistol whip the next person who says Shenanigans!!!
BonosGal View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BonosGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 3:56am
Musicman, I agree that animation is pretty bad. Give me classics like Dumbo or Bambi anyday. I hate CGI!!!  And that panda reminds me of Uncle Fester.
I swear to God I'll pistol whip the next person who says Shenanigans!!!
Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 4:51am
I have to admit, after watching the whole special edition DVDs of Toy Story, seeing some of Madagascar on TV made me think, "What the heck was that?  Unfinished animation?"

I don't know if I want to see Kung Fu Panda... The reviews I read say it's only decent, and I'm not convinced that Jack Black makes for a good voice actor.  Hopefully the plot isn't too much like Beverly Hills Ninja like that one guy was thinking.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 11:55am
For me how well the eyes are portrayed is a significant part of whether or not I think animation is well done.

Look at the tiger.  His eyes are lifeless.  Compare that to Bambi where all the character's eyes are expressive.

That's not my only problem with KFP.  The motion of the characters is really slow and unnatural.  I classify the movement more as oozing than moving.  It's just plain weird.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 9:11pm
For me it's the way the facial expressions are animated. Toy Story, Ratatouille, most other Disney movies, the facial expressions are so real , you feel the feelings along with the character. With Dreamworks the expressions are overly cartoony and the faces get  stretched and distorted. I haven't really seen Disney's movies do that. This trailer shows what I mean, when he has that green scroll in his hand, his mouth just looks really stupid when he goes "whaaaaaaaaa"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KfS9ofpUj0s&feature=related

Also does anyone remember the train from Dumbo? I just found out how they made the train whistle talk, it was a technique called sonovox, which according to this video is like "giving diction to the tones of the instruments, you form the words but the instruments sing them." It's far cooler then modern day talk box or vocoder sounds. This video from the 40's is the coolest thing I've ever seen with sonovox.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kH-krlgo2e8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic