Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Honda "Holiday oh-ah Holiday" annoying ad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

Originally posted by WhatElseIsOn? WhatElseIsOn? wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by zippyjet zippyjet wrote:

You're kidding! That awful nerdy holiday crap is actually music and not just an ad jingle? Who is the group or artists who subjected us to this drivel?

I just read that the song is about vegetarianism and the Iraq War (that's what the "holiday" is).   And it's by some group called Vampire Weekend. 

Thank you for confirming that it's Vampire Weekend.  Strange that they would allow their song to be used in a Christmas commercial if that's not how they meant it.
It's weird, "selling out" used to be such a big issue.  It's all anybody talked about in the 90s.  At some point it became acceptable, and even encouraged.  I think commercials are now seen as a good way to get your music out there.

Where the hell do they come up with these sh*tty names for bands nowadays?  The band name is almost as horrible as the song!  I'm gonna start a band, name it Werewolf Tuesday, and start making f*cking awful music for equally awful commercials! 

LOL I know stupid name Vampire Weekend is, as for the naming of your own band with bad music I think you should GO FOR IT!

Seems to be the way to make money nowadays.  Look at Justin Bieber, for sh*t's sake. Dead
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 4:10am
I hate Justin Bieber, I wish he would take his whiny assed voice and go home.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 8:00am

Couldn't have said it better if I said it myself. I agree with you. Justin Bieber sucks. And this demonstrates hour our culture is on the skids. He has that creepy look, bad hair and effeminate voice. He'll probably come out of the closet soon. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
I approve this message.
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 8:11am

Couldn't have said it better if I said it myself. I agree with you. Justin Bieber sucks. And this demonstrates hour our culture is on the skids. He has that creepy look, bad hair and effeminate voice. He'll probably come out of the closet soon. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

I hope he does.  It would be hilarious for his million teenybopper girl fans to realize that he would never, ever want to have anything to do with them in the bedroom, and that their crushes are really one-sided. LOL
Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by WhatElseIsOn? WhatElseIsOn? wrote:

You're kidding! That awful nerdy holiday crap is actually music and not just an ad jingle? Who is the group or artists who subjected us to this drivel?

I just read that the song is about vegetarianism and the Iraq War (that's what the "holiday" is).   And it's by some group called Vampire Weekend. 

Thank you for confirming that it's Vampire Weekend.  Strange that they would allow their song to be used in a Christmas commercial if that's not how they meant it.
It's weird, "selling out" used to be such a big issue.  It's all anybody talked about in the 90s.  At some point it became acceptable, and even encouraged.  I think commercials are now seen as a good way to get your music out there.

I think commercial and movie deals are big considerations in an artist's contract nowadays.  Since few musical acts get that big anymore with records or touring, they need this sort of thing.

In fact, Weezer made a big leap when their Buddy Holly video was used by Microsoft as part of its Windows 95 CD.

I don't think Vampire Weekends minds that their song was used as it was, though.  In fact, I'll bet a lotta bands purposely make songs that can be misused, and maybe seen as commercial-friendly.  They've seen how Lust for Life worked out for Iggy Pop, and if there's any song that's been "re-interpreted", it's that one.

Seems the only time you hear about an artist being pissed that their song was misused, is when it's used in political campaigns.  And those artists are simply big and wealthy enough to get sanctimonious about it.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by dp7 dp7 wrote:

I hope he does.  It would be hilarious for his million teenybopper girl fans to realize that he would never, ever want to have anything to do with them in the bedroom, and that their crushes are really one-sided. LOL

I'll bet the teenybopper girls wouldn't care.  I don't think their infatuation with such people is particulary sexual.  I mean, look at the history of teenybopper stars.  None of them came off as sex machines.  Davey Jones, David Cassidy, Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, Michael Jackson.  They all, in fact, came off as only nominally male---"boylike", at best.  In fact, many of these stars looked more like lesbians.

Teenage males, on the other hand, always seem to go for the uber-sexual females.  Cartoon sexy, like Pam Anderson, "Kelly Bundy", and Megan Fox.

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:21am

Originally posted by dp7 dp7 wrote:

I'll bet the teenybopper girls wouldn't care.  I don't think their infatuation with such people is particulary sexual.  I mean, look at the history of teenybopper stars.  None of them came off as sex machines.  Davey Jones, David Cassidy, Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, Michael Jackson.  They all, in fact, came off as only nominally male---"boylike", at best.  In fact, many of these stars looked more like lesbians.

Teenage males, on the other hand, always seem to go for the uber-sexual females.  Cartoon sexy, like Pam Anderson, "Kelly Bundy", and Megan Fox.

Good point but, the above mentioned teenybopper stars never seemed as fruity as Bieber, and other so called artists in those awful boy bands. Oops, Michael Jackson from Thriller onward has come across as tuity fruity. Early MJ actually had some raw talent and so did his brothers when they were the J 5.
So called artists like Bieber and many of today's hottie female artists could never make it on their own raw abilities back in the day (1950's, 1960's). Today, it's all looks, sex, big money, lawyers and oodles of technology that could even make the Aflac duck sound like a mega star.

I approve this message.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 2:59pm
Probably right, zippyjet.  With the internet, their images (and stories and lovelives and favorite colors and innermost feelings and...) are so accessible, that any musical talent they may have is besides the point.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:07pm
What in the ding dong dell are the words to this stupid song? This is all I get out of it:

Holiday! Oh a Holiday and the best one of the year
But if I wait for a holiday, it couldn't catch my fear.

WTF? Am I just getting to be too old to start understanding lyrics?
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I read once that Chuck Berry advised Mick Jagger that part of good rock vocals is to make sure that the lyrics are not clearly understood.

Williams View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:08pm
1st:WTF?Confused
2nd:Im glad their dinner was ruined by the car because who stuffs a long table in the back? yet it cant even fit in real life along with the overloaded car and who eats in the middle of a f**king fieldAngry? Dumbass People Ermm
3rd:I hope that car turns around while the people r chasing their stupid long table and decides to crush them with 3000 pounds of carAngryLOL
Angry
you've reached an imaginary number,please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:11pm

I read once that Chuck Berry advised Mick Jagger that part of good rock vocals is to make sure that the lyrics are not clearly understood.

Thor, we've read the same book! Mick purposely "slurs" some words. Proof:

Beast of Burden

The lyrcis DO SAY:

All this sickness I can suck it up... Bad luck, Baby, I just shrug it off.

If anyone can coherently hear that, I'll buy them a drink (I had to look up the words and I was like NO F***ING WAY!) LOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:22pm
LOL  Ahh, yes!  I think they're called "mondegreens". 

Are you a big fan of the Stones, Mad?

If so, you might find this webpage interesting.  It's about the making of the song Gimme Shelter.  You get to hear Mick and Merry Clayton's vocals isolated from the instruments.

Oh, forget it.  I see all the videos have been removed due to copyright laws.  Angry

Never mind.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:36pm
Yes, Thor, I am a BIG Stones fan!

When I was in High School (1978) Keith Richards lived 3 blocks away from my friend in South Salem, NY.

It was the house that he shared with his then girlfriend, Anita Pallenberg where she was in bed with some young kid who made a big boo boo playing Russian Roulette. We were camping on an island on a lake and heard all that police activity. Freaking surreal.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 10:52pm
Wow.  Bizarre.  What a f*cked up way to go.
Mommacita View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mommacita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 1:06pm
The worst part of that Hilfiger commercial is that douche at the end who says "Don't you just love the holidays?"   I want to smack him.  
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Mommacita Mommacita wrote:

The worst part of that Hilfiger commercial is that douche at the end who says "Don't you just love the holidays?"   I want to smack him.  

Agreed. With a closed fist across the bridge of his nose.

FootballFreak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootballFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 6:57pm
Ugh. This commercial is played about 10 times a day
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 1:49am

Originally posted by Mommacita Mommacita wrote:

Agreed. With a closed fist across the bridge of his nose.

Hilfiger douche: "Don't you just love the holidays?

NO!

*smack* Angry
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
pinniped View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinniped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 12:18pm
I'm still seeing this Holiday Honda crap commercial as recent as 2 days ago.

Catch the commercial early, and there's plenty time to mute the TV or change the channel before the annoying dude starts trying sing the lame song.
SO I GO ON VEHIX.COM!....GOT A CAR TO SELL!....BUYING A CAR IS HARD!
Nikki View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 8:29pm
You can thank Vampire Weekend for giving us this...'song,' if I can even call it that.
Because of this commercial, it wasn't the best holiday of the year. I think they've finally stopped airing it, though.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:23pm
What I hate about that ad:

The stupid-ass song. Especially where he says "....and the best one of the year..." as well as the annoying "guitar playing". Or whatever that annoying repetitive grating sound is.

What I like about the ad:

The girl's awesome-cool dark blue Christmas sweater with the blinking lights.

Love that thing.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Morons on the loose View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morons on the loose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 12:58am

Can’t really add too much more than what everyone already said but I’m glad this commercial is getting the bashing it deserves… I don’t usually hit mute or change a channel but when this one comes on, I instantly grab the remote… I absolutely HATE this song!!! Never heard it before this commercial and hope to NEVER hear it again… Awful, simply an awful, rotten commercial...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic