Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Hawaii Five-O series: Sure fire FAIL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Hawaii Five-O series: Sure fire FAIL
    Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:40am
I'm calling this right now: There is NO WAY this remake of the classic Five-O series works. There are some shows you just can't remake, and this is one of 'em.

You heard it here first.
Hundreds of threads killed.
Sponsored Links

Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:50am
Agreed.  I would never watch this.  It's GOT to be just another crime show based in Hawaii.  And we had the best with Five-O and the relatively successful "Magnum P.I.".  "Book him, Danno!!"  Cool 

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 4:22am
I'm placing a bet of $2.00 on the new H5O to TANK!Dead
Poiuyt Power!!!
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 6:01am
I know "Book him, Danno" is a phrase of the show, and that it is commonly said in most episodes.  I never saw the old series, but I somehow know this.  I just HATE how they show it at the end of every single freaking ad for it. Censored Angry Dead  Maybe it is to show it is a real remake...but they use the SAME FREAKING SCENE where they say it, the one where the one guy is saying it with the cliche CSI-esque sunset light all behind him. Ugh.  Plus, the guy's mouth doesn't even match what he says.  It looks like he's just saying "Book em daaa..." Disapprove  I'd not complain if they at least had 1-2 other scenes with that phrase in it, to show some variety...but no.  Every commercial, without fail, shows that stupid sunset background and the man who can barely move his mouth to match his dubbed voice. Angry

Plus, I was always a fan of the theme song, and the remade (new) version of it in the ads sounds very cool, but gosh darn it...use it sparingly!  It is like every CBS advertisement somehow has the theme song in it.  Talk about being overplayed!
Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 9:10pm
They're probably shooting for more people like DP7 that never saw the original series to watch this redo. I won't. It'll be nice to see TV Land pickup the original - and compare each one's ratings.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 3:48am
Not to mention.  The expression, Book 'em Danno is so outdated it isn't funny.  Calling Daniel or Danny, Danno was probably a take off on the expression of the late '50s early '60s daddyo.
Rantalicious View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rantalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 4:30am
Good LORD!  And I do mean JACK Lord!

I'm glad I haven't seen any of the promos.  They sound awful. Dead  Yep, I'd be surprised if this stink bomb lasts half of whatever they call a "season" these days.

There are just some things you leave alone.  Because they were perfect the first damn time!

(Oooo, now the Five-0 theme is stuck in my head, "da da da da daaaaaa da, da da da da daaaaaaaa". LOL)

Every time a bad ad hits the airwaves...the terrorists win!

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

It'll be nice to see TV Land pickup the original - and compare each one's ratings.

??  Is TV Land picking this up?  The reruns I have caught have been on The Spike channel.   And for us die hards....the theme song.  With my "Homer" avatar playing along in time!  LOLLOLLOL 

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 5:01am
With "KAM FONG" as "CHIN HO".  And "Zulu" as "Kono".   Hmmm...why bother changing your name, dudes??  LOLLOLLOL

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 5:07am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Not to mention.  The expression, Book 'em Danno is so outdated it isn't funny.  Calling Daniel or Danny, Danno was probably a take off on the expression of the late '50s early '60s daddyo.

I agree.  As I said before, I haven't seen the original series...but does 'Danno' never know what to do with people they catch?  It seems if this phrase is said every freaking episode, then Danno should be looking in another line of work. LOL  Oh yes, Danno...be confident...chances are, the other guy wants you to book him. Angry
Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 1:52pm

Yeah, it seems as if the remake is being justified based on that one phrase.  That can't carry a show.

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:09pm
In my area the original series is on the subchannel of the CBS affiliate (MyTV).
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

It'll be nice to see TV Land pickup the original - and compare each one's ratings.

??  Is TV Land picking this up?  The reruns I have caught have been on The Spike channel.   And for us die hards....the theme song.  With my "Homer" avatar playing along in time!  LOLLOLLOL 

I doubt it Virginia. TV Land doesn't pickup any classic shows any more. I haven't seen the original series in yearsCry and don't get that CBS channel mentioned. When does Spike show it? 
I just know they're gonna muck up this redo with sex, car chases ending in firey crashes, more sex and multiple gun fights. 
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 3:20am
When it comes to "Book him, Danno," that's what an updated version of something usually does - it takes a small part of the original and plays it up in a big way. Which kind of makes sense if it's a parody, but this isn't a parody, right?
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

When it comes to "Book him, Danno," that's what an updated version of something usually does - it takes a small part of the original and plays it up in a big way. Which kind of makes sense if it's a parody, but this isn't a parody, right?
I think it'll end up being a form of parody...intentional or not.  I wonder just what audience they're trying to appeal to, here? 

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 12:04pm
It is like BatMan without Adam West. H50 without Jack Lord just isn't right. (yeah, I know, the BatMan movies have made a lot of money, but I like the original Batmobile, and all the Sixties schtick. BOOF! WHAM! BOP! Ouch Big%20smile
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 1:08pm
I never watched the orginal.  Don't know why for sure, but probably because I was between 16 and 28 when it was on.  Salad Days, you know.

I even googled to see what it was on against each year.  I do know for the last few years it was on against "Barner Miller".  Never missed that show.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 1:19pm
Just curious, are any of you that predict the show to be a failure going to watch it?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Just curious, are any of you that predict the show to be a failure going to watch it?

Nope.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 2:49pm
They played the reruns of it on a local affiliate around here during the mornings about 4 or  5 summers ago. Musta ran every episode about 2 or 3 times too. Did the same with Magnum PI. It was great daytime TV & it was because of that, I actually saw every episode of both shows, neither of which I ever watched back when they were in production, because I never sat home at night & watched TV back in those days.

But as for this new piece of trash, I think I commented on it around here after I saw the first promo. This thing is going to be disastrous. An utter & total abomination.

Every character is going to be a young, hip, good-looking, wise-cracking smart-ass. There'll be the obligatory little fashion model/Hollywood-hottie chick who beats up bad guys three times her size without chipping a nail or mussing her hair & makeup.

All the "character" that the original characters had, which garnered them respect from the audience for their maturity & wisdom, hard-won from years of experience, will be replaced with empty good looks & cocky attitudes.

And of course, lot's of high-tech automatic weapons, gun-fire, explosions, car chases, dead bodies floppin & flyin around & just mayhem in general.

Oh, and sex too. Can't forget that. Dey gonna be doin lotsa screwin, mon.

I hope this crap doesn't make it a full season.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

The actor who played him, James MaCarthur, was the adopted son of stage legend Helen Hayes.

She did a guest spot on one episode that revolved around a senior citizens' home scam.

I think there was probably some murder involved, too.

She helped the Five-0 boys catch the bad guy.

Oh, & I still think "Danno" is a pretty cool nickname, too. Wink

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I never watched the orginal.  Don't know why for sure, but probably because I was between 16 and 28 when it was on.  Salad Days, you know.

Did you really spend such an inordinate amount of time at salad bars?

Hey, don't get me wrong, I like a good salad bar too, but never to the point that it would cause me to be out of the house every night!!!! 

That's bordering on a serious addiction.

Hope you stuck to the low-fat or fat-free dressings.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

I wonder just what audience they're trying to appeal to, here?

The same audience they're ALL trying to appeal to these days.... the YOUNG audience.

Those are the people with lots of disposable income & the desire to spend it on the junk the sponsors of the show are going to be hawking during the commercial breaks.

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 9:11pm
I could see a movie version of Five-0, but Hollywood would screw that up too. They remade "Walking Tall" and couldn't even get the character's skin color right that played Sheriff Pusser.

They'll probably have Danno "coming out of the closet" so to speak.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 9:41pm
Yeah, I could see a movie version too.

But, as you implied, they'd probably hire Will Smith to play Steve McGarret & Danny Williams would probably be gay.

That's pretty much what they did with the movie version of The Wild Wild West.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic