Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dish Network on channel choice, or lack thereof
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dish Network on channel choice, or lack thereof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dish Network on channel choice, or lack thereof
    Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 7:15am

I love how the guy mentions selling channels separately (a-la-carte) and then basically says that nobody can do that. Confused  What?  Why even MENTION the perks of choosing the channels you want if you (as a company) can't offer a-la-carte channels?!?

And, of course, guys...you NEVER watch the shopping channels!  Geez, what a sexist.  He must've never seen those QVC gadget shows that have guys calling in and ordering laptops, flatscreen TVs, handheld doodads, etc.  Also, does he not realize that you get 500 unnecessary and crappy shopping channels with *all* Dish Network packages?  I even still got them after I canceled service--my set top box still picked them up months after I canceled.  

Although Dish's programming packages are much cheaper than the local cable company, they have no packages that allow you to not pay for child's channels if you don't have kids, etc. like he advertises in this ad. Angry  I'm forced getting Cartoon Network, ESPN, VH1, Lifetime, etc.--channels I never watch.

What is the point of this ad? Disapprove
Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 9:20pm
 I think it's point is Comcast has been flooding the airwaves with their "the HD war is over" commercials. Blah,blah,blah...... Comcast has more HD channels than satellite.
So Dish is trying a different approach. I've seen both their's & Direct's channel line up tiers.
To get what I want to still watch on Comcast, I'd still have to move up to one of the dish's upper cost tiers.
If either one of the dish companies had some nads and really offered an al-la-carte tier, they'd make a killing.
JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

If either one of the dish companies had some nads and really offered an al-la-carte tier, they'd make a killing.

Legally they're not allowed to or actually able to. That's the whole point of why the guy says no one can do that in the commercial, to address the fact that yeah it would be nice, but they're not allowed
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 11:44pm
I still think that they would have a better and more effective ad if they cut the whole a-la-carte talk in this ad, especially if they aren't legally allowed to do it.  It'd be one thing if they *did* have this type of package, but they don't!
Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by JasperGretsch JasperGretsch wrote:

Legally they're not allowed to or actually able to. That's the whole point of why the guy says no one can do that in the commercial, to address the fact that yeah it would be nice, but they're not allowed
Why would anyone make such a law?Confused It's not like free over the air broadcast stations - people pay for cable/satellite stations. Why can't we buy what we want?
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 10:56pm

Why would anyone make such a law?Confused It's not like free over the air broadcast stations - people pay for cable/satellite stations. Why can't we buy what we want?

This isn't probably the whole reason, but it boils down to money.  For example, let's say you never watch TBS Superstation.  TBS is owned by Turner, which also owns CNN,  Headline News, Cartoon Network, truTV, among other channels.  The cable companies pay Turner for the most popular channel, and Turner then says "Sure, you can carry CNN, but you have to also carry TBS, etc." (usually this involves low-viewership channels the cable viewers don't watch...TBS isn't the best example of course, since I know many watch it.)  The cable company then agrees, and voila...you have the Turner set of channels on your TV.  (in an unrelated situation, this is why sometimes the Turner or Viacom-owned set of channels disappear for a day or so due to contract disputes in cable systems, and viewers get "If by X date there's no agreememnt, you lose your Viacom channels"...they are trying to agree with the cable/DBS company about the price to pay to retransmit them to the viewers.)

With an a-la-carte agreement, you could just buy Tru TV and not TBS, CNN, etc.  Turner, who wants to have all of their channels in every US home, objects to this, of course.  So, (I assume) these companies have lobbied Congress and made the law against a-la-carte cable--all because of lost ad revenue when their channels are not seen.

Also, with a-la-carte, smaller channels that don't get viewers would probably go out of business, since nobody would pay to see them (would you pay for the 10 or so shopping channels Dish offers if given a choice? I bet not!)  However, the aforementioned deals with broadcasting companies usually force them to carry these low-watched channels. 

Of course, I could be wrong about all of this...this is just how I remember the whole situation from reading it elsewhere.  Feel free to correct me if I am off on something!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic