Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chrysler Town & Country kids racing home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrysler Town & Country kids racing home
    Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 1:32am

Is it just me, or does this ad make no sense whatsoever?  The kids racing each other home is dumb in the first place since (at least in my area) kids who are in elementary schools do not walk home due to safety reasons unless they are VERY close to the school.  I think they might even prohibit it nowadays, and only allow kids to leave school on the bus or when their parents pick them up in their car.  It is obvious these kids are a ways from the school, since they were far enough to warrant running to get there.

The one kid (who is being challenged in the race) arrives home first, and jumps into the van.  The kid's mom is conveniently in the driver seat, ready to take him somewhere.  Why didn't she pick him up from school if she was home, and why is she all surprised her kid is home from school?  Angry  Why did the kid's friends just sit there watching the van drive away?  Go home!

This ad is so dumb on so many levels.  It would make more sense if the mom somehow picked up the kid and snuck him home in the van, but pretended the kid somehow got there by himself so he can beat his friends in the race.  Didn't this already happen in an older commercial, or in some movie?  I'm getting deja vu big time with this one.
Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Sponsored Links

jenjen View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 1:58am
I was going to start a thread on this one becasue I was confused ..the running kid looked like he was afraid to get his butt kicked. If he was just racing with his friends why did he look scared and run away to where his mommy was parked JUMPED into the van  and then proceed to stick his tongue out at the other kids? I thought  if he was scared and he was going to get an ass whoppin, no worries the same kids will be back TOMORROW!!
No matter what the interpertation is ...STILL A DUMB AD!Unhappy
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 3:12am
Originally posted by jenjen jenjen wrote:

I was going to start a thread on this one becasue I was confused ..the running kid looked like he was afraid to get his butt kicked. If he was just racing with his friends why did he look scared and run away to where his mommy was parked JUMPED into the van  and then proceed to stick his tongue out at the other kids? I thought  if he was scared and he was going to get an ass whoppin, no worries the same kids will be back TOMORROW!!
No matter what the interpertation is ...STILL A DUMB AD!Unhappy

I read some of the Youtube comments after posting this and it appears the original version of this ad had the other kids chasing the kid to beat him up.  It is kind of weird that it was like that original because the kid was smiling (at one point) during the chase.  He's not being chased to get beaten up if he's Big%20smile

Either way, that still doesn't change anything.  It actually brings up another question:  Is it just me, or does it seem like the kid being chased seem to be tough enough to not be bullied?  Sure, the one kid is bigger than him, but those kids kind of look goofy and more of a bully target than the kid being chased.  I don't mean any disrespect to any of the kids, and I'm not trying to stereotype based on looks alone, but it just seems highly implausible that the other kids would *really* be chasing the kid to beat him up if that was how the ad was originally filmed.
Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Coastwizard View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coastwizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 1:17am
I saw the original version of this commercial, and you're right, it was a trio of bullies chasing the other kid (Parker) to his house. That was disgusting enough, since having grown up in a really bad neighborhood myself, I can tell you that having three bullies chase you home was no joke, and making it to your house was no guarantee of safety. Those bullies would either just follow him into his house/yard, or they'd wait until the next time he came out or went to school.

So, the original commerical was in really bad taste, but what's in even worse taste was Chrysler's ad agency trying to cover their a**** and salvage a bad commercial by making it into a really bad commercial. Now, by adding dialogue to the bullies while their backs are turned (so we can't see what they are or are not saying), the whole commercial makes no sense any more! Why does Parker look all afraid and even hide behind a tree if his "friends" only want to race him home? Why does he jump into the car, close the hatch, and duck down until his mom starts pulling out of the driveway.

Oh, and I could be wrong, but I think they even inserted the one quick scene (where Parker appears to smile) later to try to support the idea that he's just in a foot race with his friends.

Give it up, Chrysler, either get your ad agency to produce an entirely new commercial that isn't in bad taste, OR get a new ad agency!
cool245 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 6:03am
I don't understand why mom is sitting in the driveway with the trunk open. If I were being chased by bullies and got home I'd run in my house and lock the door not hide in the car where the bullies can just stand outside and kick my a** when I have to get out to go in the house for a pi**.
flychinook View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flychinook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 6:42am
I had been wondering what the deal is with this ad. Now I at least know that it *used to* make sense. But now... Yeah, I was just lost when I saw it.
Coastwizard View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coastwizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by cool245 cool245 wrote:

I don't understand why mom is sitting in the driveway with the trunk open.
Good point! Another contrived situation to fit their illogical commercial! Unhappy
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 4:35pm
The ad makes much more sense from a bully/victim standpoint. I mean if it's a race, why are the kids following Parker to HIS home? I never really paid attention to the ad and didn't realize until recently that that wasn't the case.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 10:17pm
Being this is a Chrysler commercial, Mom must have been trying to get the thing started - so she could go pick up Parker from school.
Bullies would've hid in the bushes and ambushed the little guy there. Wink
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Being this is a Chrysler commercial, Mom must have been trying to get the thing started - so she could go pick up Parker from school.

But the mom acted so happy and oblivious to the bullying when little Parker shown up in the van.  I think if she knew that her son was being bullied, that she would at least yell out at the kids to go home or something.  She calls little Parker a 'sweetie' as if he has nothing but homework to worry about in his life.  Don't you think Parker would've told his mom about the boys if he was being harassed?  I'm sure this isn't the first time they would've done it to him.
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 2:32am
I agree...

This commercial says "stupid" all over!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by dp7 dp7 wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

But the mom acted so happy and oblivious to the bullying when little Parker shown up in the van.  I think if she knew that her son was being bullied, that she would at least yell out at the kids to go home or something.  She calls little Parker a 'sweetie' as if he has nothing but homework to worry about in his life.  Don't you think Parker would've told his mom about the boys if he was being harassed?  I'm sure this isn't the first time they would've done it to him.

Not necessarily. I learned early on not to tell my parents these things - if only just to avoid being made fun of for being a wimp!
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Kirbybeast! View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirbybeast! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 8:34pm
The mom acts surprised when he first dives in...she even says, "Oh, Hi, Billy. There you are!" or something like that. Whaaaaa? So she was just sitting there with this big, cavernous trunk/hatch open, waiting for what? I can just see it, "Holy sh*t! How did that moose get in here?"
Which, come to think of it, would make more sense than this piece of tripe. The smile the boy gives them at the end is smug, like, "Got away again, suckas!" In bully parlance, though, that's just asking for a harder beating next time.
JasonTKD View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonTKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 5:14am
Originally posted by dp7 dp7 wrote:

Don't you think Parker would've told his mom about the boys if he was being harassed?  I'm sure this isn't the first time they would've done it to him.

"Mom, they were chasing me again!"

"Oh, they're just insecure. You should try to be friends with them."

The next day:

"Well, how did it go?"

"They said they wanted me to meet someone."

"Oh, honey, that's great!"

"Yeah, I thought so, too 'till they 'introduced' my stomach to their fists."
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 7:07pm
Well honey, you should have turned the other cheek.

I did,,,,,, they hit that one, too.

Notice the little guy out ran the bullys while wearing a bookbag - maybe they just wanted to steal his homework.Wink
the_hite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_hite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 8:46pm
Wow.  Finally some closure.  I found this forum just because of this stupid commercial!!!!!!  Now that I find out there was an original version where they were gonna kick his butt it all makes sense now, but wow chrysler.  You suck.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 9:22pm
OuchTerrible ad!

'The Bully Syndrome' was clear, yet made NO sense for all of the reasons mentioned above.
MUCH LESS, 'Parker' eventually had to 'come home', doncha know...sooooo...where's the second installment of this commercial - the one where 'Mom' is scooping 'Parker', cast and all, back into the the rear of the van, on the way home from the ER?!

On top of THAT...where's the THIRD part? The part where we see the Van, and Parker, in the distance, where the likes of myself (as a kid) and a few friends are beatin the crap out of slow-a**ed 'Bullies' that cannot catch a wimp? We ALWAYS had to protect the likes of 'Parker'; the bullies were always"Fair Game", doncha know...

(Young PaW, with Bully (face not shown))

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 9:57pm
I want to smash the piano player's fingers under the hood of the car and then peel out.

Why the happy "entertainer"  type of music when some kid is about to have his ass whomped?

And Parker, sticking his tongue out?  You know he's eating a fist sandwich in the lunchroom the next day.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Tech View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 5:31pm
Yeah, I always thought this commercial was confusing, the edit just makes it stupid and makes me hate it every time I see it.
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:32pm
Both versions of this commercial are idiotic and make not one lick of goddamn sense in terms of trying to sell minivans.

Version 1: What's the message in this one?  Your kid will be a dork, but at least he will be a quick dork and able to outrun bullies and dive into your spacious rear storage area if you buy a Town & Country minivan?  Seriously? 

Version 2: Your kid is still fast, and is just 'racing' home to beat the other kids there.  Okay, riiiiiight.  Why the f*ck did he dive into the back?  As another poster stated, why does the idiot mother leave the back open?

Aaargh!  Just thinking about either version of this commercial drives me nuts!  WHAT THE FIDDLEDEE-F*CK, CHRYSLER?   

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Tech View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 6:34am
Ok, I know this is bumping an old topic and I know it's still early, but I REALLY hate this commercial so goddamned much and they seem to be playing it even more now. I'm nominating it as the worst ad for 2010, if not ever.

Every commercial break seems to feature it now.

buickgnx88 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buickgnx88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 9:25pm
I love the fact that when the kid is jumping in the back of the van, they put "Do not attempt" at the bottom of the screen. "You shouldn't do that, you might get a little bruise from hitting the plastic back of the seat!" Ermm

Might as well put "Do not attempt" when the kid is running on the sidewalk. "Oh, someone could trip and skin their knee or hurt their hand!"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Why the happy "entertainer"  type of music when some kid is about to have his ass whomped?

And Parker, sticking his tongue out? You know he's eating a fist sandwich in the lunchroom the next day.
LOLdammitdammitdammit!!! (I'm laughing so hard I'm about to puke....)
Maaaaaaaad!!!!!!!!!
I think we grew up in the same neighborhood, I swear!

You officially owe me a Molson's Ice...I spit a good part of one out when I read your post... 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
dizzykitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizzykitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:08pm
I have no idea if the kid was being bullied or if it was just a friendly race.  I DO know that I can't grab the remote fast enough....for the simple fact that I can't stand to see the shot of the kid sticking his gross tongue out at the other kids outside the van.  Ick!!!!!!!!!  Tongue
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 9:22pm
I had the same questions that many of you had, like is the kid a smartass or is he being bullied, but I'm pretty much over that.  That damn music drives me nuts, and here in my area they are playing this way too much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic