Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Local TV weather reporting....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Local TV weather reporting....
    Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 3:32pm
This happens everytime there is a severe weather warning around here & I suppose it happens where you live too... yesterday afternoon there were tornado warnings in effect over around Daytona Beach & the adjacent areas. The local NBC affiliate does the daily news starting at 4 pm anyway, but yesterday, it coincided with the start of the tornado warning. So they start the news by highlighting which stories they were going to cover.... "But first...." & of course they went right into the weather.

No problem.

Thing is..... they did the weather report for TWO SOLID HOURS!!!!! I mean non-stop!!! Angry

WTF????? I realize the importance of keeping people informed about something as potentially damaging as possible tornados.... but these nitwits go so far beyond what is required it's ridiculous.

They blabber on & on & on about technical minutae that nobody understands or really even listens to anyway. All this Doppler radar hoo-hah about what this color & that color mean & what these little bands are doing & upper level moisture causing condensation that results in this or that & the current pressure reading as opposed to five minutes ago & blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah endlessly until I'm screaming SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU IDIOT!!!! at my TV set.

Even after the storms had weakened to the point that they were no longer a serious threat, they just kept on going & going & going like the Energizer Bunny on meth.

These people are nothing more than shameless attention whores who think we are as impressed with their expensive gadgetry as they are & are apparently in some sort of ongoing contest to see who can make the biggest dog & pony show out of how "dedicated they are" to protecting the community with their superior resources etc. erc. etc.

All they need to do is come on with a stern warning to everyone in the affected area to stay indoors & move to a safe place in the house. Keep a crawl going across the top or bottom of the screen & every couple of news stories or so, maybe have the weather guy/gal cut in for a quick update.

But of course, Heaven forbid they ever give the slightest impression that they aren't at the level of sheer & utter fanatacism when it comes to being our sacred protectors.

This two solid hours of non-stop yammering about detailed meteorological jibber-jabber is a big fat waste of people's time, especially after they had opened up the broadcast by promising to do a particular story you wanted to see, causing you to sit thru this crap waiting for it to end so you wouldn't miss the story you wanted.

Local news/weather sucks. They are ridiculous over-paid little people in love with the sound of their own voices & who do nothing but pander to whatever their marketing research studies tell them would be in the best interest of their ratings.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 3:41pm

On the summertime local news here, we get 20 minutes coverage each night of fire after fire throughout California.

This year, it's been better, as the summer's been cool.  By cool, I mean 90 degrees average temps.  So, not too much wildfire coverage.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 3:57pm
Poor little prima donnas.

What ever will they do without their on-camera time????? Shocked

Around here, every station boasts & brags about their Doppler radar system, or their Super Doppler or their VIPIR or whatever.

It's like a biggest-dick contest.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 4:04pm
One of our channels has Triple Doppler!

I don't even get what the hell Doppler's supposed to be telling me that the forecaster can't.  Doppler might be useful to them, but it's as useful as hieroglyphics to me.  Just a waste of time.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 4:58pm
Makes a nice picture with lot's of pretty colors, though...

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 5:42pm
When I need to see colors like that, I can just stare at the blacklight poster on one of my walls.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 8:42pm
If I want to know what the weather outside is doing all I have to do is look at my Pickup Truck, which is parked on the Driveway in front of my house.

If the Truck is......

Dry - Weather is Clear

Wet - Weather is Rainy

Invisible - Weather is Foggy

Gone - Hurricane or Tornado! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 12:34am
We have something called Weatherbug in the KOAA weather broadcast...I have no idea what the heck it is...
Coffee- The new opiate of the people.
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:03am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Poor little prima donnas.

What ever will they do without their on-camera time????? Shocked

Around here, every station boasts & brags about their Doppler radar system, or their Super Doppler or their VIPIR or whatever.

It's like a biggest-dick contest.

Ironic thing is that they aren't on-camera during these weather events because they only show the map for hours on end--at least that's how it is here. 

What I dislike is how they show the towns who are in the path of the bad weather, and every town they name is somewhere nobody has heard of.  Take the DC area, for example.  Today we had thunderstorms go through Gaithersburg and Germantown...two big suburbs of DC that people have heard of.  Were those two towns (who have many residents in each) in the list of towns in the path of the storm?  No. Instead, little towns like Fork Bend, DooDah and Abacadabra were in line for the storm, even though the on-screen map shows more-important (in terms of population) major towns in the path.  (LOL well, of course, I made up the small towns, but it just shows the ridiculousness of it.)

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:37am
Around here, the weather "persons" stand in front of a blue (or green) screen & on TV you see them superimposed over the radar picture.

C'mon, man!
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:49am

Around here, the weather "persons" stand in front of a blue (or green) screen & on TV you see them superimposed over the radar picture.

The regular non-severe weather newscasts have that here too.  But when the severe weather comes through, the stations switch into "THE END IS NEAR!!! ZOMG!!!1!1!" doom mode, and they just stay at their desk and remain off-camera so they can 'research' the storm and easily switch between the SuperDoppler, VipirMAX, HD Radar and FutureCast. Well, I take that back, they shown one weatherperson for about 10 seconds as she was talking, but she was seated in the weather center, not at the blue/green screen.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 5:04am
I guess they do a lot of that here too. You see nothing but the radar image for awhile as they yammer & jabber away about a bunch of crap that doesn't really do anyone any good or provide us with any actual useful information, but apparently makes THEM feel important, then BANG!!! they're back in your face again.

Big fat load of typical local news BS.

C'mon, man!
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

When I need to see colors like that, I can just stare at the blacklight poster on one of my walls.

The same with me and those kinds of pictures.
And when it comes to bad weather, I only watch the fictional kind, and even then (apart from The Wizard of Oz), I actually like it to be UN-convincing. Like those movie volcanoes that get picked on because they look like they're from someone's school project - that's fine with me, because I don't really WANT natural disasters to look convincing, that's how weird I am about them.
As for weather reports, again, I usually only watch them on Spanish TV. It's just the thing if you don't like seeing those dramatic weather maps, because there always seems to be something obscuring the map.

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 6:08pm
WEWS (Cleveland's ABC Affiliate) will do that all the time when there's a bad storm. WKYC (Cleveland's NBC Affiliate), WJW (Cleveland's FOX Affiliate), and WOIO (Cleveland's CBS Affiliate) will have a small interruption for like one minute...but WEWS will go for an hour!Angry
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Asnotseenontv Asnotseenontv wrote:

We have something called Weatherbug in the KOAA weather broadcast...I have no idea what the heck it is...

I've got WeatherBug as an application on my iPod Touch. It has a video option with a talking head "weather person", but I almost never use it. I can generally figure out the forecast without their personal help! Especially living in San Diego, if you know what I mean. Wink
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

I can generally figure out the forecast without their personal help! Especially living in San Diego, if you know what I mean. Wink

Monday: Sunny.
Tuesday: Sunny.
Wednesday: Sunny.
Thursday: Sunny.
Friday: Sunny.
Saturday: Sunny.
Sunday: Sunny.

C'mon, man!
msmith View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:55pm
Whenever there is anything tropical in the Gulf or even out in the Atlantic, the first thing they say here in Houston is 'Will it come here!!!'  Then when its turning out into the ocean or just about to hit elsewhere, they say "But will it change course and hit the Houston area!!"  Its like they're spoiling for a hurricane.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:03pm
Whenever there's anything "Tropical" out in the Atlantic, Caribbean or Gulf, you can FORGET about what's happening, Weatherwise, anywhere on the Planet!Angry
Poiuyt Power!!!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 4:03am
Originally posted by msmith msmith wrote:

Whenever there is anything tropical in the Gulf or even out in the Atlantic, the first thing they say here in Houston is 'Will it come here!!!'  Then when its turning out into the ocean or just about to hit elsewhere, they say "But will it change course and hit the Houston area!!"  Its like they're spoiling for a hurricane.

Which gives them the excuse to start 3 days of "You're all going to DIE!!!" 24 hour live coverage....  LOL
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:09am
Living in the Houston area too, I agree. And people just don't understand how I can ignore the stuff except when I can't afford to ignore it. But that's just it - a lot of it is "empty calories," and you CAN ignore that part.
Craftychiq View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craftychiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:32pm
A few weeks ago there were a couple of funnel clouds in a really bad storm which I admit was the worst I'd ever seen outside of a hurricane. So the weather guy is having the usual orgasm that they do when a "weather event" happens (seriously WTF is a weather event?!) and he's mentioning all the little East Bumblef**k towns that someone else mentions no one has a clue about that's in the path of the funnel cloud. Well an hour later the weather starts to clear and the sun is shining yet the tornado warning issued by the NWS still had 20 more minutes to expire. Don't you know the schmuck on tv says "and we'll stay on the air and broadcast minute by minute coverage until that happens." Um, asshole there's not a cloud in the sky within a 20 mile radius and kids are playing outside, I think the storm is over!

Better yet is when there's a hurricane in the Gulf etc. and the weather people hit my favorite two tangents #1 how will the hurricane hitting Galveston, Texas and expected to disappear in the plain states going to affect our weather all the way up in Maine and #2 what would happen to our area if a cat 5 hurricane decided to hit.

How about we all just curl up into a F*&^ing ball and DIE?!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:45pm
WFSB goes into WEATHER BEWARE!!!! mode each time there's a bad storm, they focus on the radar with the off screen voice talking, no chroma key here. They predict when the storm is going hit next and they go crazy if the part of the storm is rotating i.e. a possible tornado. To display rotation they have a rotating yellow circle. It's all very fun to watch.Smile
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 3:34am
Originally posted by Craftychiq Craftychiq wrote:

A few weeks ago there were a couple of funnel clouds in a really bad storm which I admit was the worst I'd ever seen outside of a hurricane. So the weather guy is having the usual orgasm that they do when a "weather event" happens (seriously WTF is a weather event?!) and he's mentioning all the little East Bumblef**k towns that someone else mentions no one has a clue about that's in the path of the funnel cloud....

I love how they call it a 'weather event.'  Isn't every thing that happens in weather a weather event?  I mean, the wind wooshing by on a calm day is some sort of event--it isn't as strong as a hurricane but it surely could make a leaf move.

Another term that is overused in the weather world here is 'dissipate.'  For Censored's sake, just say it is ENDING or it will go away.  That word is said at least 20 times a day on the forecasts here.

What I really like is a term that weathercasters in my area started to use a few months ago: "straight line wind."  It is basically wind that does a lot of damage like a tornado, except it doesn't rotate.  I'm sure it is a real meteorological term, but wouldn't it be better to just say it is a strong, damaging wind?  Are they going to start calling winds that aren't straight "curved winds" or "diagonal winds"? LOL I think it is one of the things where one guy says it, and then the next one is like 'gee whiz, that's a cool term' and put it in their forecast, and then everyone uses it.

I can generally figure out the forecast without their personal help! Especially living in San Diego, if you know what I mean. Wink

Monday: Sunny.
Tuesday: Sunny.
Wednesday: Sunny.
Thursady: Sunny.
Friday: Sunny.
Saturday: Sunny.
Sunday: Sunny.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, a normal day is as follows:

Any day: Sunny until you step outside, then torrential rain until right after you walk into the building at your destination. LOL

Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Craftychiq Craftychiq wrote:

How about we all just curl up into a F*&^ing ball and DIE?!

That was the name of Carrie Fisher's beauty parlor in The Blue's Brothers.

"Curl Up and Dye"
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:44pm

That was the name of Carrie Fisher's beauty parlor in The Blue's Brothers.

"Curl Up and Dye"

And I'd be willing to bet you that THEY got the idea from some real beauty parlor(s) with that name somewhere.

Like all the radiator repair shops in little towns across the country with the sign outside that reads "Best place in town to take a leak".

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic