Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any mechanics or auto experts here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any mechanics or auto experts here?
    Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 6:17pm
My 1998 Toyota Corolla makes this noise when I am driving.

I observe it most when I am driving downhill or slowing down.

The noise is louder when I'm turning to the right, and disappears when I turn to the left. Sometimes the noise is loud, and sometimes there is no noise at all.

I made this recording when the noise was at its loudest.

I also get a knocking/rattling noise when I am coasting at 50 to 70 mph and I slightly depress the gas pedal.

The noises are scary but they NEVER happen when I have the mechanic ride along in the car.
Maybe you think that's funny but I've wasted a ton of time trying to get my mechanic to "hear" the noise - which is louder than the radio most of the time.
Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 7:38pm
Nathan, that recording sounded like something you'd hear on "Paranormal  Activity". If you didn't say it was your car, that would have scared the ever loving life out of me.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 7:39pm
P.S., and I'm sorry, I'm not a car mechanic. Wish I could help.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 9:37pm
From your description of the problem it sounds like maybe your front disc brake rotors are either dirty or need to be "turned", which means being honed down smooth. Often times they get small grooves worn in them.

Before you take it to a brake shop, try to find a can of brake disc cleaner & spray it on your front brake rotors or "discs".

I used to own a Corrolla & it made a similar noise. It was the front brakes. Toyotas are known for noisy front brakes.

That is my suggestion.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 9:50pm
I'm thinking about the vibration and the sound coming from turning in one direction - like a load being put on that side causing the noise.
If it is as Jimbo mentioned, while it's up on the rack getting the rotors turned, have the mechanic check the wheel bearings if they haven't been serviced in awhile. They have to pull the outside bearings anyway when pulling the rotor.
I'm guessing there as I've never owned a front wheel drive car...... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Wink
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 10:05pm
Always a good idea to have the bearings packed.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 10:23pm
No mechanic here, but is the sound coming from the wheel area or might it be coming from the steering column?

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 11:51pm
Until I heard it, I thought it was going to be a CV joint.  After I heard it, I think it's a demon.
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 12:35am
Sounds like it could be from the wheel area or the steering column. It's definitely from somewhere near my feet (which is why this is basically a video of my foot).
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 2:40am
I'd suggest you Google the problem, but my own experience with that is that you get a dozen answers and a dozen different solutions.

When my airbag light was staying on and my odometer was only advancing at about half-rate, I got several on-line diagnoses, not one of them being that the battery was going.  As it turned out, the battery was going.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 3:22am
Could be the CV (Constant Velocity) joint.  Much like the old U-Joint on the rear of the drive shaft on a rear wheel drive car.  On front wheel drive each wheel has its own U joint.  This could be why the noise gets louder or quieter depending on which way you turn the wheel.  Though the last time I had it with one of my CV Joints it was a loud knocking sound when I turned it in the direction that stressed the failed one.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 3:27am
Nathan, you should try posting your vid on Toyota Nation.  It's an all Toyota blog where all they talk about is how to fix stuff on Toyotas.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 4:00am
Try taking it to Les Schwab.  If it's in the wheels/suspension/brakes, they specialize in this sort of thing more so than a regular mechanic.  Plus, they're pretty cool.  I've been to them on several occasions.  On two, they did free repair work on tires.  And on the third (occasional suspension creak), they looked at it and told me that it's not a serious problem and it's not worth the money to get it fixed at this point.

ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 3:17pm
Thanks 00, Toyota Nation seems to be crawling with opinions!
N
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 5:32am
I was trying to install a keyless entry device on my Toyota truck.  I was completely baffled by the instructions.  Went on Toyota Nation where someone had described in detail how they installed the same device.  Had mine done that weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic