Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YMCA officially changes it's name...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YMCA officially changes it's name...
    Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 10:58pm
In keeping with the modern trend of companies & organizations shortening their names, the YMCA has announced that from now on they will officially be known as "The Y".

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/us/12Y.html?_r=1

So I guess it's just a matter of time before we'll be hearing a novelty hit song about them by a group called "The Village PERSON".

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:03pm
Didn't they realize that people are still gonna be making jokes about eating "at the Y"?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:08pm
They probably came to terms with that joke a long time ago.

I wonder what their employees say to people when they bring their lunch to work.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:18pm
Radio Shack now calls themselves The Shack.   I guess it's only a matter of time before Outback Steak House shortens their name to "Outhouse"....
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Radio Shack now calls themselves The Shack.   I guess it's only a matter of time before Outback Steak House shortens their name to "Outhouse"....

XD

BTW they're not dumping the YMCA moniker YET, they'll still be called YMCA but will also be known as The Y.

As for the new logo I like it it's a fresh approach to an old institution.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Or "The Back".

That sounds about nauseatingly stupid enough for a bunch of corporate weenies to have come up with.

C'mon, man!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:50am
I guess when The Village People do their new digital version, they'll have to call it, The Y, hmm, hmm, hmm.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:59am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I guess when The Village People do their new digital version, they'll have to call it, The Y, hmm, hmm, hmm.

XD LOL
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:44am
I repair color printers now.  When I was first learning about them the YMCA song came in handy for remembering the order of the primary colors used in the printer.
Yellow     
Magenta
Cyan
BlacK

Black is called K rather than B so it rhymes perfectly with the A of YMCA.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:10am

I repair color printers now.  When I was first learning about them the YMCA song came in handy for remembering the order of the primary colors used in the printer.
Yellow     
Magenta
Cyan
BlacK

So, why not:

Yellow
Magenta
Cyan
African-American

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 10:53pm

Or they could just sing "It's fun to stay at the Y Y Y Y!!!!!!"

C'mon, man!
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:56am
From now on, what is the point of a catchy nickname like "The Y" if the name itself gets changed to "The Y" ? That's something they should have considered.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

From now on, what is the point of a catchy nickname like "The Y" if the name itself gets changed to "The Y" ? That's something they should have considered.

Remember Federal Express?   They changed their name to FedEx out of it being in common use.  Now if UPS being called Oops would just catch on.  LOL

UPS was actually probably another customer driven name change, as no one wanted to continuosly call it the United Parcel Service.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 3:10am
I don't call it U.P.S. I call it Ups!LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 3:23am
I remember many years ago when I first started seeing their trucks around town, I used to wonder what the heck "Ups" meant.

Same thing with those "INY" bumper stickers. I thought the was supposed to be the letter "O" & couldn't figure out WTF "iony" was supposed to mean.

Duhhhh....

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 4:21am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yellow     
Magenta
Cyan
BlacK

So, why not:

Yellow
Magenta
Cyan
African-American

LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yellow     
Magenta
Cyan
BlacK

So, why not:

Yellow
Magenta
Cyan
African-American

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 10:34pm

Yellow     
Magenta
Cyan
BlacK

Apparently, the K stands for "Key".

Whatever that means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

C'mon, man!
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 3:00pm
I'm just counting the days till the BBC officially becomes "the Beeb."
It's one of my pet peeves, but people seem to deliberately miss the point of slang in a lot of ways. When an expression becomes "official" like that, it practically stops being slang, which is a shame.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 5:39pm
Slang that thang, baby!!!

What's the slang term for "slang", btw?

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Slang that thang, baby!!!

What's the slang term for "slang", btw?

Slung LOL
The artist formerly known as Madawee

dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

I'm just counting the days till the BBC officially becomes "the Beeb."
It's one of my pet peeves, but people seem to deliberately miss the point of slang in a lot of ways. When an expression becomes "official" like that, it practically stops being slang, which is a shame.

'The Beeb' is just a dumb name.  Unhappy  Like it is THAT difficult to say 'Bee Bee Cee' all said out.  Next they'll be calling it 'The' because 'The Beeb' has one too many syllables in it.  That's a pet peeve of mine: shortening a name to a slang one syllable shorter just to get out of saying that extra syllable.  Angry  But, then again, I'm in America (where BBC is called 'BBC' when referenced, not 'The Beeb', at least where I am), and I assume if everyone in the UK is calling it that, then maybe it is okay to change it.  So, I am not passing judgment on either the BBC or their viewers, so please don't take it as an insult, because it isn't! Smile

And I'm sure people will still think 'The Y' still stands for YMCA.'  For example, a kid ten years from now sees 'The Y' on a sign and asks his grandpa "Pops, what does 'The Y' stand for?"  The grandpa would most likely say "YMCA," since that's what he remembers the name as most of his life.  I'm sure he wouldn't just be like "It's just that...The Y...the Y doesn't stand for anything."  Of course, he could say "I dunno," but you know what I mean!  Basically put, I mean that even with official name changes, people are still going to think it stands for what it once used to stand for.  Therefore, I don't know why companies do it, especially if it means having to pay for new signage and advertising, which is what I guess 'The Y' now has to do.

EDIT: And about Radio Shack...I was just in one the other day, and the signage both in and out of the store STILL says Radio Shack just like it did before 'The Shack' came around.  What if some young kid who just heard of 'The Shack' (but never heard of Radio Shack) went there to buy something...they probably would turn around and not go into RS because 'The Shack' isn't on the sign out front.  I'm willing to bet the kid wouldn't connect the dots that RS = The Shack.  Why change the name of established companies?  It probably will never gain customers or make the company look more hip.  How stupid (on the part of the corporate & advertising world)! Disapprove
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

It's "brown", as in What Can Brown Do For You? That's kind of catchy, maybe the Y could use that.
What can Y do for you?
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

It's "brown", as in What Can Brown Do For You? That's kind of catchy, maybe the Y could use that.
What can Y do for you?

Or, they can become philosophical:

Y are you here?
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 9:25pm
Or over the edge: "Get hard in the Y."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic