Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Items That Have Been Discontinued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

While I remember our milkman and our bread man (and the produce guy and the knife-sharpening guy), it just seems a little weird to revive that in the 2000s.  Whereas, it was once authentic, now it'd just be retro and "old-timey" (and probably $5.00/gallon).

Hopefully, the milkman just offers what they used to offer---mainly whole milk.  None of this organic and acidophilus stuff.

Kinda what I'm thinking. The cost of gas. The lawsuit happy lawyers nowadays ready to jump on a case of "someone left their milk out too long and drank it." Lets sue and make millions.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 6:20am
Yeah.  It's like metal sliding boards on the playground.  Now, they're all safe soft plastic, and there's no need to ever use wax paper to "slippery" them up anymore.   Not that kids who actually use sliding boards nowadays know the difference.  Unhappy

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 2:40pm
Wait until playgrounds disappear completely.

Or they will consist of nothing but a bunch of soft, rounded plastic seats with safety straps so the kids can just sit there strapped in safely & totally risk free & stare at each other.

But only after their parents have signed a waiver of course.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 2:43pm
Oh, & speaking of Combos, they also discontinued the cheddar cheese filled cracker variety, too. Now they only have the cheese filled pretzels.

I used to love the cheddar filled cracker kind with a hot dog or this particular brand of shredded beef chimichanga that they also don't make anymore.

Dammit.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 2:45pm
The playgrounds around here are all built on some soft sort of synthetic, so that little Madison/Conner will not get any boo-boos if they fall.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 2:49pm
Remember those "merry-go-rounds" that you grabbed the handles, ran around in circles, then jumped on just to get thrown off?  Great fun!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 2:52pm
Well, it's not just the yuppie kids.

The little Tavons & Shaquillas & Hectors & Ledizmas etc. etc. also need to be protected from the slightest scratch bump or bruise that may require them to undergo years of therapy & treatment that would affect their future earning prospects & require their equally victimized parents to sue the city, county, state or all of the above for as much as they can get in order to compensate them for the injustice that was wrought upon them by the obvious blatant, wanton negligence of all parites involved except the parents who let them run around at 4 years old by themselves unattended.

What a greedy, sick-o bullsh*t society we've created.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

This one disappeared twice  (playground in Sacto area is burnt down by kids) :

This one probably will  (someone pours Drano down a slide; 2 y/o hospitalized with 3rd degree burns):

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Remember those "merry-go-rounds" that you grabbed the handles, ran around in circles, then jumped on just to get thrown off?  Great fun!

holy sh** I think I rid one of those when I was younger!!!!!!

I remember that it made me feel absolutely nauseous and dizzy, probably because I was laying down on it while it was spinning pretty fast. LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 2:58pm

Or, you can get on and have your friends spin it real fast---and then jump off so you can experience severe vertigo and nausea.  Thumbs%20Up

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 3:00pm

This one disappeared twice  (playground in Sacto area is burnt down by kids) :

This one probably will  (someone pours Drano down a slide; 2 y/o hospitalized with 3rd degree burns):

Hmmph.

When I was a kid, the worst thing we did to the slide in the neighborhood playground was to let this one kid's dog slide down it.

The dog would climb up the steps & slide down all by himself if the kid told him to.

Okay, & maybe we peed down it a couple of times.... Embarrassed

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 3:05pm
When I was a teenager, for awhile there was a short-lived local fad happening in which a bunch of guys would gather at the playground at night and get swinging as high as they could on the swing set, then we'd line up at one end & run through like a gauntlet.

All the guys on the swings of course, would have their feet stuck straight out & would try their best to hit you.

And all the while this was going on, this one kid was walking back & forth barefoot across the top bar overhead.

And we were all high as kites on weed, of course. Thumbs%20Up

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 3:07pm

Well, it's not just the yuppie kids.

The little Tavons & Shaquillas & Hectors & Ledizmas etc. etc. also need to be protected from the slightest scratch bump or bruise that may require them to undergo years of therapy & treatment that would affect their future earning prospects & require their equally victimized parents to sue the city, county, state or all of the above for as much as they can get in order to compensate them for the injustice that was wrought upon them by the obvious blatant, wanton negligence of all parites involved except the parents who let them run around at 4 years old by themselves unattended.

What a greedy, sick-o bullsh*t society we've created.

Yup.  When we create a nanny-state, the nanny becomes responsible for our bumps and bruises.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 3:17pm
Ah, yes it's all the liberals' fault, of course.

Let's not forget about the greed mentality fostered by conservative corporate types too.

There's blame enough to go all the way around.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 3:25pm

Let's not forget about the greed mentality fostered by conservative corporate types too.

Did I say it was the liberals' fault?  Sounds like someone (that would be you) must think that it is.  LOL

suenewtotx View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenewtotx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 3:31pm

The playground where I used to live in Ohio had one of those.  It's been three years since I've moved, so I don't know if it's still there.  All the kids loved it.  If the ground was muddy, they'd be such a mess by the time they were done playing on it! 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 3:38pm

Did I say it was the liberals' fault?  Sounds like someone (that would be you) must think that it is.  LOL 

No, you didn't come right out & say the "L" word, but anytime you hear the term "nanny state" invoked it is usually to decry government sponsored services all of which are of course, associated with the Democratic party & liberals.  

So I just assumed, given our opposing viewpoints on such matters....

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 4:01pm
Oh, I didn't say it was NOT a liberal thing.  It is, actually.

And while I'd love to fight about it, I can't right now.  StainMaster will be arriving in 2-4 hours to clean my carpet, and I need to vacuum and move some furniture.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 4:13pm
please tell me at least jungle gyms still exist.

I remember climbing these and bring afraid of the letting my arms go so I could hang with my legs, hell I remember like it was yesterday, I think I feel off once but I got up and tried it again, damn it those things were fun, I loved climbing, them, I wasn't pampered and I'm damn proud of it.

I remember two,

here:
http://maps.live.com/?FORM=MICA01&rtp=~#JmJiPTQxLjg0OTcyNTY2ODIxMTElN2UtNzMuMDgyMzY4Nzc4ODUyNyU3ZTQxLjgzMDQxMjA4MDI4MSU3ZS03My4xMTY5Mjg4MjAyOTk4

1260 Winsted Road former location of Childrens Discovery Center.

type that in in Google Maps or MSN live maps.

and somewhere else still trying to find the location,hold on.

It was a Nature's Classroom in 1997 I can't remember the name of the stupid location,grrrr I think it was somewhere near Cornwall, or Essex I don't know, hell it was 11 years ago. Censored

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 5:39pm
I haven't seen one of those, not in this generation anyway.

What you normally see at outdoor playgrounds is some combination of these types of things:

Unless it's an indoor place, and it doesn't have to be McDonald's, where they have these:
which are a blast!
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 5:59pm
Oh believe me, they did exist back in the 90's they were still around.

Anyone also remember metal curving slides, with the tunnels? Oh man THOSE were fun!!!!!!, but man they burned, hehe, they really burned ahahaha, ooh and the BEST PART is walking up backwards and trying to get to the top, while also getting constantly knocked down by unsuspecting kids coming around the corner it was kinda like a demolition derby except with kids.

ROTFLMFAO

http://maps.live.com/?FORM=MICA01&rtp=~#JnE9eXAudG9ycmluZ3RvbiU3ZXNzdC4wJTdlcGcuMSZiYj01NC4wNTkzODc4ODY2MjM2JTdlLTQ2Ljc1NzgxMjUlN2UyNS4yNDQ2OTU5NTEzMDYlN2UtOTkuNzU1ODU5Mzc1

MSN still has a slightly old pic of it on their website, showing one of these crazy contraptions go to Winthrop Street zoom in, go slightly to the right of the pool and you'll see it, best view is from the East.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Oh believe me, they did exist back in the 90's they were still around.

Anyone also remember metal curving slides, with the tunnels? Oh man THOSE were fun!!!!!!, but man they burned, hehe, they really burned ahahaha, ooh ...

Didn't you use wax paper to polish them?  That's how you get rid of the burn...and how you practically fly down them!!!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

I haven't seen one of those, not in this generation anyway.

What you normally see at outdoor playgrounds is some combination of these types of things:

Unless it's an indoor place, and it doesn't have to be McDonald's, where they have these:
which are a blast!
While in Texas, it seemed almost weekly we would hear about some child getting hurt - even dying - on some of the playgrounds you've pictured. I remember some being torn down because of this (since the parents couldn't be forced to watch over their children).

Now...in regard to McRatMaze...I actually got into one to rescue a panicked child... 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 6:23pm
This was my absolute FAVORITE off-topic thread before the hijacking.

I also remember PDQ, it was damn good.
There's a fancy store here in Chicago where you can buy Mexican Coca-Cola at exorbitant prices.
Really not worth it to me- you're f**king yourself up one way or the other- might as well do it on the cheap.

On the playground front, my elementary school playground had a dirt hill and rubbermaid trash can lids to slide down on - and a real hollow log to crawl through! The hollow log was already off-limits in 1982, but they didn't remove it for a few years.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 6:28pm
We don't see ice cream trucks anymore!!! I know some places still have them. We had a bitch in our town complain, because the music bothered her! Only a real, die hard scrooge could hate the ice cream man!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic