Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Animal Planet's getting scary!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AquilaLorelei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Animal Planet's getting scary!!!!
    Posted: 31 May 2010 at 9:10am
I used to LOVE Animal Planet.  USED to.  They don't even air nearly enough "Animal" stuff anymore (dude, WTF is this "surprisingly human" bullsh*t?!?!)
Not to mention, what they *DO* air is either majorly disturbing or damned scary--or both!  Both is always an option! Lost Tapes just about makes me wet myself (oh God Mommy, the octopus...), and Untamed & Uncut is all *kinds* of freaky!  Albeit in a car-crash-watchable kind of way.  Maybe.  I must admit of the current non-disturbing AP programming block, I quite like "Underdog to Wonderdog" (another series that doesn't get nearly enough exposure...) as well as the "____ 101" series ("Cats" and "Dogs" thus far, but considering what many people consider pet material "Lizards" might not be too far behind!).
However...
* Whale Wars is political and disturbing
* I'm Alive--NOT very animal-related, if at all.  Also, disturbing.
* River Monsters, while overtly about animals, is kinda' disturbing
* Weird, True & Freaky--while awesome--also disturbing
* Monsters Inside Me--HOLY SH*T I'M A GIBBERING WRECK!!!!  TERRIFYING!
And NOT really animal-related.  Parasites are debatable on that front, IMHO.
* Venom E.R./Venom 911--See above, RE: gibbering wreck.  Venom--YIKES!
* Raw Nature--marginal on the frightening scale, but still...
* The Haunted--Neat, but still not cute fluffy bunnies.  Or kittens, for that matter...
* Fatal Attractions--Unnerving.  Maybe not scary, but swings the needle MUCH higher on the weird-o-meter than much of AP's older programming.

They seriously need an Animal Planet Retro or something...
Also, there's a whole new rant a'brewin' as to whether Animal Planet is now catering more to the "human-and-pet-interaction" market instead of just programming about animals proper, but that's for another time and place.
Sponsored Links

Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 3:59pm
If "Monsters Inside Me" mean what it sounds like it means, then I'm with you.
LilRebelChick View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

If "Monsters Inside Me" mean what it sounds like it means, then I'm with you.

That show scares the hell out of me. I don't want to leave my room anymore let alone ever touch a salad again after last nights episode where some vacationing med students who were in Jamaica picked up a parasite eating a salad with a chopped up snail they didn't know was in there gave them a parasite that put worms in their brains!!!DeadUnhappyShocked
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 9:57pm
Last nights Monsters Inside Me episode had a guy with flesh eating parasites on his back and combined with his really hair back, I had nightmares!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 11:02pm
I used to look at the gross pics in my mother's 1940s nursing textbooks.  Good stuff.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I used to look at the gross pics in my mother's 1940s nursing textbooks.  Good stuff.

Lol! EwwwwDeadDeadDead
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 8:56pm
Oh great another network losing it's niche this channel USED to be about cute and cuddly animals but now it's about scary CensoredCensoredk this sucks wheres an asteroid when you need one?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 9:23am
I want the days when Animal Planet was the channel I changed to when I wanted something nice warm and cuddly to watch to relax...now they NEVER have that stuff on anymore.
Coffee- The new opiate of the people.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Asnotseenontv Asnotseenontv wrote:

I want the days when Animal Planet was the channel I changed to when I wanted something nice warm and cuddly to watch to relax...now they NEVER have that stuff on anymore.

Too much competition from TLC and stuff I imagine. I like the Fatal Attraction show. It does get the message that it's not fair to raise exotic, wild animals as pets because they are never truly tame or domesticated. But, some people have to learn the hard way...like getting their faces eaten off by a lion or tiger.ConfusedShocked
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 2:57am
I actually like that show River Monsters since I like fishing. Although the biggest thing I ever caught was a 26 inch carp and most of the critters on there put that guy to shame.Still though I don't liek watching crap like having parasites inside you and the Whale Wars guys are obnoxious sh*t stains.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 3:13am
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I actually like that show River Monsters since I like fishing. Although the biggest thing I ever caught was a 26 inch carp and most of the critters on there put that guy to shame.Still though I don't liek watching crap like having parasites inside you and the Whale Wars guys are obnoxious sh*t stains.

I haven't seen the Whale Wars one yet. Not sure what it's even about really cause I haven't paid attention to the ad, lol. Dangerous Encounters is on now. I like that one.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 11:19pm
Whale wars follows the actual ships of animal welfare groups who try to stop groups who kill whales.  Most of the groups who kill whales are doing it illegally (like Japanese).  It can be very dangerous, for several reasons.  I don't watch it because I don't like seeing when they show the water blood red from the killing of whales.  As to the thread, I, too used to love many shows on AP, but over the years they have taken off most of the shows that I consider to be true AP fare.  I know they are doing it for ratings, but most of the shows belong on one of the other channels with shock and horror crapAngry
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 11:27pm

This has been happening for some time I think at least two years ago when they changed the logo that they said that they will be changing to more emotion based programming, it's sad really.

You can find more info on them here:
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/animals_gone_wild_sort_of.php
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 12:42am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Whale wars follows the actual ships of animal welfare groups who try to stop groups who kill whales.  Most of the groups who kill whales are doing it illegally (like Japanese).  It can be very dangerous, for several reasons.  I don't watch it because I don't like seeing when they show the water blood red from the killing of whales.  As to the thread, I, too used to love many shows on AP, but over the years they have taken off most of the shows that I consider to be true AP fare.  I know they are doing it for ratings, but most of the shows belong on one of the other channels with shock and horror crapAngry

I can't watch that either. The Japanese are also bad about hunting Sharks for their fins, the bastards! And yes, I just said what I think of them for that! They cut the fins right off them and leave them to die a slow death! I wish we would sanction them for it!Angry Angry Angry
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 12:43am
Again, watching Monsters Inside Me. I'm going to hide in my bathtub and eat nothing but powdered sugar donuts and drink cokes. God knows anything healthy could have parasites in it, lol!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by LilRebelChick LilRebelChick wrote:

I can't watch that either. The Japanese are also bad about hunting Sharks for their fins, the bastards! And yes, I just said what I think of them for that! They cut the fins right off them and leave them to die a slow death! I wish we would sanction them for it!Angry Angry Angry

Ah but they're not without scrutiny in their own territory...
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 1:18pm

I'd like to scritinize them right into the water with the sharks! GrrAngry
MrButler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Formerly Angry Lil Fat Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrButler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 1:21pm
that parasite sh*t is quite nasty.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 7:50pm

The entire Japanese people? Isn't that a bit Hitler-esque?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 2:44pm

Actually, even Hitler thought the atrocities committed by the Japanese before and during WWII were too cruel.

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 11:40pm

No, of course not all the Japanese people! I'm talking about the ones who do this to the sharks and the like. They can take a slow boat to Hell as far as I'm concerned and it's my hope that a whale or a shark eats them when they get there and they have to relive it every day over and over again. Angry
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Actually, even Hitler thought the atrocities committed by the Japanese before and during WWII were too cruel.

The Japanese were off the charts cruel during the WWII. Angry They were paid back in the end though. I'm just sorry civilians had to pay the price too.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 11:47pm

Oh, and Hitler wanted to kill the Jews for different reasons, not for their fins so they could make Shark Fin Soup. Don't even compare what I said to Hitler, sheesh! And I don't give a damn what the Japanese government thinks or if they back their cruel practices or not. I don't care what kind of scrutiny these pigs are under. I only care that they stop the cruelty and if they're going to cut off shark fins that they at least put the poor animal out of it's misery and not leave them to die a slow, horrible death. You know damned good and well I was talking about the entire lot of Japanese people so that was a completely asinine question.
ironwolf56 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironwolf56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 7:36am
Ahh Whale Wars.  Or as my brother-in-law and I call it "Idiots in Boats."  Whaling is a horrible and cruel thing, so it speaks volumes about how the anti-whaling activists in this show act that we actually grudgingly cheer for the Japanese.  It's a miracle that the Sea Shepherd et. al. haven't gotten themselves killed yet!  There is a reason people study for years and work their way up the ranks learning as they go aboard a ship.  In the sane world you do NOT let some rich hippie brat whose shipboard experience is a few picnic cruises on daddy's yacht be your third officer because he paid a few grand into your coffers.  
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 10:01pm
My trouble with Whale Wars is that Norway are whalers too. Why aren't they singled out? Seems kinda racist to me. I feel like a whole new Anti-Japanese sentiment is brewing these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic