Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saturday Morning Cartoons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saturday Morning Cartoons
    Posted: 09 May 2010 at 5:55am
They just are not the same anymore. Remember when Saturday Morning cartoons were good? But nowadays, they are crap. Cartoon Network is airing this Bakugan sh*t and have revived Totally Spiez. . And on other channels, religious cartoons plague TV. And some don't even show cartoons. Rather, they show that live action sh*t such as Zach and Cody and That's So Raven! And it gets worse! On Nickelodeon they are Fanboy and ChumChum (aka the Retarded Show with Fanboy and ChumChum) and air Big Time Rush! And when was the last time they made a good Spongebob episode? The only good Saturday Morning Cartoon is the Penguins of Madagascar which actually isn't half bad.
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
Sponsored Links

Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:32am
That is exactly why, for years, I have been buying DVDs of all the old Warner Brothers cartoons. 
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by TheDude22 TheDude22 wrote:

They just are not the same anymore. Remember when Saturday Morning cartoons were good? But nowadays, they are crap.

I remember when Saturday morning cartoons were good.  I'll bet we all do.  But what one remembers to have been good is different than what the next person remembers to have been good.  It depends on one's age, I'm guessing.

For instance, for me, anything past the era of the Road Runner and Magilla Gorilla, sucks.

But I don't know what came first---bad cartoons or me simply outgrowing cartoons in general.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 7:12pm
Cartoon Network & Nick could be taken off the air and I wouldn't bat an eye.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

That is exactly why, for years, I have been buying DVDs of all the old Warner Brothers cartoons. 
I´ve gotten ahold of as many Hanna-Barbera & Filmation Cartoons as I can get my hands on, and have even gotten ahold of some Bootleg Episodes of Hot Wheels & Skyhawks Cartoons! (Sorry I went that route to get em, but they were my all-time favorate Cartoons when some ¨Do-Gooder¨ Group has the FCC AngryBANAngry These Shows) When I found out I could get a few Episodes off the ¨Black Market¨ I just HAD to get them!LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:53pm
I kind of remember Hot Wheels. What was the big deal with the FCC, Reg.? 
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 8:37am
A few things really can be blamed for the sat morning formula's demise.
Telecommunications act had a small feature in it, limiting cartoon broadcasts that were directly tied in or a direct result of a toy line. Hence the "20 minute ad" theory.
This was more for the weekday cartoon but it affected Saturday morning cartoons as well.
Also the internet's prevalence in homes.
When the next generation of kindergarten age children came about at the end of the 90s, they already were net savvy.

Cable expansion and buy ups (another congress act made this possible)
This allowed for the birth of channels like more Disneys, Nicktoons, Cartoon Network etc.

Also the great animation houses were dying off, fragmenting or merging.

Hannah Barbera spread themselves so thin and were so badly managed they became a shell of their former selves.
Warner Bros focused more on broadcast television in the 90s.
Disney bought ABC and that kind of caused some conflicts of interest and such.

I lament the passing of the ritual, but I also see why and how it happened.
Gone are those days of pajamas and cereal on the floor from 7 am till 11 am (then American Bandstand would come on and just bum me out)
I even remember when the cartoon season block was promoed and would have prime time highlight specials or full page peeks in the paper.
It was big news, and we'd talk about it in grade school.

It was a fun time to be little.

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Hot Wheels got cancelled after one year because the FCC or some watchdog group felt that it was a commercial for the toy.  I still have the Hot Wheels car based on the one in the series.  It would be the 80s before they would try this again (GI Joe, He-Man, Transformers, etc.).
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

I´ve gotten ahold of as many Hanna-Barbera & Filmation Cartoons as I can get my hands on, and have even gotten ahold of some Bootleg Episodes of Hot Wheels & Skyhawks Cartoons! (Sorry I went that route to get em, but they were my all-time favorate Cartoons when some ¨Do-Gooder¨ Group has the FCC AngryBANAngry These Shows) When I found out I could get a few Episodes off the ¨Black Market¨ I just HAD to get them!LOL

"ahold"???? Is that a Brazilian word?
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 12:40am
Originally posted by timdubya timdubya wrote:

Hot Wheels got cancelled after one year because the FCC or some watchdog group felt that it was a commercial for the toy.  I still have the Hot Wheels car based on the one in the series.  It would be the 80s before they would try this again (GI Joe, He-Man, Transformers, etc.).
Oh. I had a few Hot Wheels but I don't think it was because of their cartoon show. Had quite a few Matchbox cars, too.
 Jero, all that doesn't explain why CN won't play classic toons on weekends........ or any time for that matter.
Maybe Elmer Fudd hunting and blasting rabbits is too violent for kids nowadays.Confused
TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 1:11am
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

A few things really can be blamed for the sat morning formula's demise.Telecommunications act had a small feature in it, limiting cartoon broadcasts that were directly tied in or a direct result of a toy line. Hence the "20 minute ad" theory. This was more for the weekday cartoon but it affected Saturday morning cartoons as well.Also the internet's prevalence in homes. When the next generation of kindergarten age children came about at the end of the 90s, they already were net savvy.Cable expansion and buy ups (another congress act made this possible)This allowed for the birth of channels like more Disneys, Nicktoons, Cartoon Network etc.Also the great animation houses were dying off, fragmenting or merging.Hannah Barbera spread themselves so thin and were so badly managed they became a shell of their former selves.Warner Bros focused more on broadcast television in the 90s.Disney bought ABC and that kind of caused some conflicts of interest and such.I lament the passing of the ritual, but I also see why and how it happened.Gone are those days of pajamas and cereal on the floor from 7 am till 11 am (then American Bandstand would come on and just bum me out)I even remember when the cartoon season block was promoed and would have prime time highlight specials or full page peeks in the paper.It was big news, and we'd talk about it in grade school.It was a fun time to be little.

More reasons:
*Possibly the Parents TV Group could play a role in it. They may think a cartoon is too violent (which is a comedy act to the cartoon) and make it way too safe.

*The higher popularity of live action shows. These obviously replace good cartoons

*More interest in older kids such as Teens, Pre-Teens etc.

*More cartoons based off movies and video games. Once the Contemporary Golden Age of Video Gaming and popular movies arrived, obviously they made cartoons off of these movies and video games. And these cartoons are B.A.D BAD!
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 6:16pm
Saturday mornings used to be what we kids lived for back in the 80's. My sister and I would get up as early as 6:30am and watch cartoons nonstop until 1:00pm, when the cartoons ended. Yummy breakfast cereal (preferably the ones with marshmallows), my favorite doll and fun cartoons...what more could you ask for when you're six?

Boy, am I glad to have been a kid in the 80's. If I were a child now, I would be one bored, unhappy girl because the cartoons and toys they have now...just...plain...SUCK!!!
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:11am
Oh yeah, I even remember when Bugs Bunny cartoons included the rifles! Gradually, that stuff was edited out......as were the un-PC cartoons like Pepe LePew and Speedy Gonzales (or were they? Can't imagine blatant stereotypes being shown anymore.)

In fact, I'd be more inclined to have children if their TV options weren't so offensive to me. But there's always DVDs I suppose.....
msubulldog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msubulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:17am
Didn't one of the cartoonists' unions go on strike in the 70s or 80s because of all the editing of Looney Tunes cartoons on Saturday mornings?Question
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 7:40am
I don't remember, but the blatant editing out of the punch lines of all the WB cartoons to make them kinder and gentler was the thing that caused me to write my first corporate complaint letter to ABC (I think) about this very issue of butchering those great classic cartoons, just to be PC. Well, not surprisingly, I received a very PC response to my letter. I'm sure the responder was brought up in a Doctor Spock household. UGH!!!Angry

That was in the very early 1970s, before anyone had VCRs at home, so there was absolutely no alternative way to see the uncut original toons.

I gained an early taste for Heinlein science fiction because of my disgust with PC TV.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:55pm
The big censorship moment came in 1934 when the Hays Code was adopted.  It even affected a lot of cartoons, cleaning up some heretofore racy ones.  I once saw a Betty Boop cartoon in which Betty climbs a tree and a branch reaches up between her thighs and tickles her stuff.  She giggles.

Here's an old Felix the Cat cartoon in which Felix gets wasted on alcohol (and maybe something else, considering his hallucinations).

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 6:57pm
Popeye had some "banned" toons that were made around the second world war. Japs & Nazis I guess were not PC.
Popeye and I even think Bugs Bunny had a few where they depicted natives on islands with rings in their noses and such.
Speedy Gonzales was one of the first to get pulled off-air. Couldn't depict our friends down south as lazy alcoholics, ya know.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:25am
How about this one?

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 6:56pm

Popeye had some "banned" toons that were made around the second world war. Japs & Nazis I guess were not PC.
Popeye and I even think Bugs Bunny had a few where they depicted natives on islands with rings in their noses and such.
Speedy Gonzales was one of the first to get pulled off-air. Couldn't depict our friends down south as lazy alcoholics, ya know.

My favorite Disney film is "The Three Caballeros"!

IMO-They won't show it on TV anymore because of the Hispanic/Latino Stereotypes...but the Brazilians really love Joe Carioca (He's the parrot BTW).
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

"ahold"???? Is that a Brazilian word?

My Bad!Embarrassed It should read "I Got Hold Of"LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Boy, am I glad to have been a kid in the 80's. If I were a child now, I would be one bored, unhappy girl because the cartoons and toys they have now...just...plain...SUCK!!!

Oh yeah.  I'd also be bored as hell with the "girly" cartoons/shows; my cartoon list was something like this: Looney Tunes, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Dino Riders, Real Ghostbusters, Bucky O'Hare, G.I. Joe...it became a running joke that my grandmother would yell at me for not watching "appropriate" shows and then my grandfather would step in and tell her that there wasn't a law stating that girls had to watch My Little Pony LOL
JasonTKD View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonTKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:56am
Originally posted by TheDude22 TheDude22 wrote:

Once the Contemporary Golden Age of Video Gaming and popular movies arrived, obviously they made cartoons off of these movies and video games. And these cartoons are B.A.D BAD!

Except for this one, which was just awesome :

Big%20smile
mbaker View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

Cable expansion and buy ups (another congress act made this possible)This allowed for the birth of channels like more Disneys, Nicktoons, Cartoon Network etc.
I should also point out that while Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel were around during the 80's, they were still in their infancy, and cartoons were still shown on broadcast tv. Once the Children's Television Act started to kick in, cartoons were no longer profitable anymore, and the animation industry had to migrate to cable where the rules were less strict.
If it's got wings, i can crash it!
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 3:51pm

This is getting into another subject, but I'm surprised they didn't pull the Japanese ones alone. This is a country that cannot seem to get enough of Nazis, in any area of entertainment.
From what I understand, there were a lot of complaints when Speedy Gonzalez was pulled, and a whole lot of those complaints were from Hispanics, because they had no problem with him! (The same thing evidently happened when the Frito Bandito was removed from the Fritos ads.)

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:45pm

How about this one?

Well, that was interesting.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic