Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saturday Morning Cartoons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saturday Morning Cartoons
    Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by hsolo1 hsolo1 wrote:

The worst offender....Ted Turner! He was one of the first to start butchering the old WB classics. One that stands out in my mind, Elmer Fudd (fat Elmer) is a Royal Canadian Mountie who is tasked with capturing Bugs Bunny.  After a series of misadventures, Elmer succeeds in landing Bugs who is put before a firing squad.  Bugs pleads with Elmer; "Doc, don't I even get a last wish?"  The request is granted and Bugs stands there for a moment, stroking his chin and saying...I wish, I wish, (and finally) I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray Hooray! as every last mountie in the firing squad morphs into a thick lipped caricature of a Steppin' Fetchit era Black man.  in the Turner era, the cartoon fades to black either after Bugs' last wish request, or just before he requests it.
My husband and I used to have(actually, it still might be around here someplace)a public-domain videocassette with that one and "All This And Rabbit Stew," which is one of WB's "Censored Eleven."

Sponsored Links

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 1:53pm

Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

My husband and I went to see a presentation at the arts cinema re: old cartoons and the stereotypes within. Turns out they were simply not considered racist or anything until fairly recently. One cartoon was considered a masterpiece: Coal Black and the Seven..... Soldiers (? I forget the exact title), basically a version of Snow White with characters in Harlem.

The cartoon was created by black people, and while it's completely non-PC now, it was no different than poking fun at other nationalities, as was common. The cartoons reflected the politics of the times- Bugs Bunny shooting down Japs, in one pretty violent, racist cartoon; battling the Krauts in another. Those were a little more harsh, for obvious reasons!

There were even cartoons making fun of celebrities like Bing Crosby, portraying him (that is, a singer a LOT like him!) as a womanizer and a wife-beater- didn't go over so well with Crosby, who fought to have it destroyed or something.

Guess it does make sense to take the guns and the stereotypes out of children's fare......but ALL of it?? Even the original Grimm's Fairy Tales were gruesome and violent before being sanitized by Disney and the like- it was how kids learned the harsh realities of life in those times.

The cartoon was called "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves", which used black stereotypes at the time...except Coal Black didn't get drowsy by poisoned fried chicken.

Well...Bing Crosby sang a song called "Abraham" in "Holiday Inn"...in Blackface!Shocked

And probably the most violent children's book is called "Der Struwwelpeter" or in English...Shock-Headed Peter. In one story, a boy's thumbs gets cut-off!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 3:22am
My husband and I went to see a presentation at the arts cinema re: old cartoons and the stereotypes within. Turns out they were simply not considered racist or anything until fairly recently. One cartoon was considered a masterpiece: Coal Black and the Seven..... Soldiers (? I forget the exact title), basically a version of Snow White with characters in Harlem.

The cartoon was created by black people, and while it's completely non-PC now, it was no different than poking fun at other nationalities, as was common. The cartoons reflected the politics of the times- Bugs Bunny shooting down Japs, in one pretty violent, racist cartoon; battling the Krauts in another. Those were a little more harsh, for obvious reasons!

There were even cartoons making fun of celebrities like Bing Crosby, portraying him (that is, a singer a LOT like him!) as a womanizer and a wife-beater- didn't go over so well with Crosby, who fought to have it destroyed or something.

Guess it does make sense to take the guns and the stereotypes out of children's fare......but ALL of it?? Even the original Grimm's Fairy Tales were gruesome and violent before being sanitized by Disney and the like- it was how kids learned the harsh realities of life in those times.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Popeye had some "banned" toons that were made around the second world war. Japs & Nazis I guess were not PC.
Popeye and I even think Bugs Bunny had a few where they depicted natives on islands with rings in their noses and such.
Speedy Gonzales was one of the first to get pulled off-air. Couldn't depict our friends down south as lazy alcoholics, ya know.

My favorite Disney film is "The Three Caballeros"!

IMO-They won't show it on TV anymore because of the Hispanic/Latino Stereotypes...but the Brazilians really love Joe Carioca (He's the parrot BTW).

There were animated cartoons that were banned, too.  Like I-I-I-I, I em de Frito bandito.

And who can forget the Chinese Stereotypical Jell-O Commercial?

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 2:41am
The reason the current crop of Saturday Morning Cartoons and kids' shows in general seem to suck is simple, We grew up. We're not the audience they're geared toward anymore.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
msmith View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 1:32am
Anymore the cartoons on Saturday morning are for the latest Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh or Hakidu card games.  That or just terrifically awful live action shows.  I don't have cable so I don't know if there is anything worth watching there on Saturdays.
hsolo1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hsolo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 1:02pm
The worst offender....Ted Turner! He was one of the first to start butchering the old WB classics. One that stands out in my mind, Elmer Fudd (fat Elmer) is a Royal Canadian Mountie who is tasked with capturing Bugs Bunny.  After a series of misadventures, Elmer succeeds in landing Bugs who is put before a firing squad.  Bugs pleads with Elmer; "Doc, don't I even get a last wish?"  The request is granted and Bugs stands there for a moment, stroking his chin and saying...I wish, I wish, (and finally) I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray Hooray! as every last mountie in the firing squad morphs into a thick lipped caricature of a Steppin' Fetchit era Black man.  in the Turner era, the cartoon fades to black either after Bugs' last wish request, or just before he requests it.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 3:56am
Originally posted by JasonTKD JasonTKD wrote:

Originally posted by TheDude22 TheDude22 wrote:

Once the Contemporary Golden Age of Video Gaming and popular movies arrived, obviously they made cartoons off of these movies and video games. And these cartoons are B.A.D BAD!

Except for this one, which was just awesome :

Big%20smile

Damn that brings back good memories, I remember an earlier version of Sonic The Hedgehog that was not as serious but done just as well. It didn't have Sally etc. in it. It just had Sonic and Tails in it.

Sigh, good times good times.Approve

I FOUND IT!

It was a privilege to grow up in the 90's, if I was a kid today I'd go batCensored crazy over all these shows that stink.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
JasonTKD View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonTKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Asnotseenontv Asnotseenontv wrote:

Justice League and any DC Animated stuff is about it for me.

Yeah, most of the DC stuff IS pretty good. For example, "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" just keeps getting better and better (Man, "Chill of the Night" was an AWESOME ep....and the episode with the three Flashes wasn't bad either)
Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 11:58am
Justice League and any DC Animated stuff is about it for me.
Coffee- The new opiate of the people.
MrButler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Formerly Angry Lil Fat Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrButler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 2:35pm
When Clinton put fourth the Educational thing cartoons have sucked. I think a lot look cheap and try to push the boundary.... I miss my old school cartoons, being about to watch 60's and 70s cartoons before I got on the school bus and then seeng my fav 80s and then early teen 90s favs. One cartoon I love as an adult is the Ben 10 franchise.
TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 3:06am
Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

Popeye had some "banned" toons that were made around the second world war. Japs & Nazis I guess were not PC.
<div sab="887">Popeye and I even think Bugs Bunny had a few where they depicted natives on islands with rings in their noses and such.
<div sab="887">Speedy Gonzales was one of the first to get pulled off-air. Couldn't depict our friends down south as lazy alcoholics, ya know.
This is getting into another subject, but I'm surprised they didn't pull the Japanese ones alone. This is a country that cannot seem to get enough of Nazis, in any area of entertainment. From what I understand, there were a lot of complaints when Speedy Gonzalez was pulled, and a whole lot of those complaints were from Hispanics, because they had no problem with him! (The same thing evidently happened when the Frito Bandito was removed from the Fritos ads.)

Don't forget about South Park. The Parents Television Council attempted to get the "Apologies with Jesse Jackson" off the air and inspire the African American community to protest. But guess what, most African Americans had NO problem with it. And trust me, the PTC was really pissed off.
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 7:26pm
LOL I'd forgot about the Frito "bandito."
At the time, I never gave too much thought about these toons. Being (some what) grownup now I can see how they really pushed the edge on racism back then.
There is still a 'lively' discussion going on in the comments.Confused
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

Popeye and I even think Bugs Bunny had a few where they depicted natives on islands with rings in their noses and such.
Speedy Gonzales was one of the first to get pulled off-air. Couldn't depict our friends down south as lazy alcoholics, ya know.

IMO-They won't show it on TV anymore because of the Hispanic/Latino Stereotypes...but the Brazilians really love Joe Carioca (He's the parrot BTW).

There were animated cartoons that were banned, too.  Like I-I-I-I, I em de Frito bandito.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

How about this one?

Well, that was interesting.

Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 3:51pm

This is getting into another subject, but I'm surprised they didn't pull the Japanese ones alone. This is a country that cannot seem to get enough of Nazis, in any area of entertainment.
From what I understand, there were a lot of complaints when Speedy Gonzalez was pulled, and a whole lot of those complaints were from Hispanics, because they had no problem with him! (The same thing evidently happened when the Frito Bandito was removed from the Fritos ads.)

mbaker View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

Cable expansion and buy ups (another congress act made this possible)This allowed for the birth of channels like more Disneys, Nicktoons, Cartoon Network etc.
I should also point out that while Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel were around during the 80's, they were still in their infancy, and cartoons were still shown on broadcast tv. Once the Children's Television Act started to kick in, cartoons were no longer profitable anymore, and the animation industry had to migrate to cable where the rules were less strict.
If it's got wings, i can crash it!
JasonTKD View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonTKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:56am
Originally posted by TheDude22 TheDude22 wrote:

Once the Contemporary Golden Age of Video Gaming and popular movies arrived, obviously they made cartoons off of these movies and video games. And these cartoons are B.A.D BAD!

Except for this one, which was just awesome :

Big%20smile
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Boy, am I glad to have been a kid in the 80's. If I were a child now, I would be one bored, unhappy girl because the cartoons and toys they have now...just...plain...SUCK!!!

Oh yeah.  I'd also be bored as hell with the "girly" cartoons/shows; my cartoon list was something like this: Looney Tunes, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Dino Riders, Real Ghostbusters, Bucky O'Hare, G.I. Joe...it became a running joke that my grandmother would yell at me for not watching "appropriate" shows and then my grandfather would step in and tell her that there wasn't a law stating that girls had to watch My Little Pony LOL
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

"ahold"???? Is that a Brazilian word?

My Bad!Embarrassed It should read "I Got Hold Of"LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 6:56pm

Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:25am
How about this one?

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 6:57pm
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:55pm
The big censorship moment came in 1934 when the Hays Code was adopted.  It even affected a lot of cartoons, cleaning up some heretofore racy ones.  I once saw a Betty Boop cartoon in which Betty climbs a tree and a branch reaches up between her thighs and tickles her stuff.  She giggles.

Here's an old Felix the Cat cartoon in which Felix gets wasted on alcohol (and maybe something else, considering his hallucinations).

Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 7:40am
I don't remember, but the blatant editing out of the punch lines of all the WB cartoons to make them kinder and gentler was the thing that caused me to write my first corporate complaint letter to ABC (I think) about this very issue of butchering those great classic cartoons, just to be PC. Well, not surprisingly, I received a very PC response to my letter. I'm sure the responder was brought up in a Doctor Spock household. UGH!!!Angry

That was in the very early 1970s, before anyone had VCRs at home, so there was absolutely no alternative way to see the uncut original toons.

I gained an early taste for Heinlein science fiction because of my disgust with PC TV.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic