Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shows you can't stand to watch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by PrincessOfTheAncient PrincessOfTheAncient wrote:

That Metal Show. Whenever I first heard about this show, I thought "cool, a show about metal bands finally" and I was super excited about watching it but when I tuned in, I was sorely disappointed. More than half of the time, overgrown KISS fanboy Eddie Trunk is complaining about something or bickering with the other two hosts. They mostly discuss bands that haven't done anything since the 1980's, which would be fine if they were at least partially worth remembering. Every now and then, they'll bring a guest who is worthwhile onto the show, such as Rob Halford or Kirk Hammet, to prove that they don't only discuss washed up hair bands that have been forgotten longer than I've been alive. It's also on VH1 Classic constantly and I'm sick of wandering around the channels late night trying to avoid it, which just makes it worse.

I've tuned in when they've had on musicians I like (like Marky Ramone).  But for the most part, the 80s metal musicians they favor are ones I didn't care about then, and don't care about now.  But the hosts are the right age for that music; I'm a bit older.

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Similarly, segways that have whooshing or drum or guitar or bell sounds.  News shows like to use these.  Very annoying.

FYI.... I think you meant "segues".

se·gue/ˈsegwā/

Verb:
(in music and film) Move without interruption from one song, melody, or scene to another.
Noun:
An uninterrupted transition from one piece of music or film scene to another.

This is a Segway:

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 12:16pm
@Thor: The Walking Dead is a rather popular show, and I definitely understand the appeal if you like zombies. They just aren't my cup of tea.

I agree on That Metal Show. They are about the right age to have been growing up in the 1980's, but yeah, they too often feature bands that most people, except for maybe a few groupies in the "scene", didn't really care for at the peak of their success, much less twentysomething years later. A few weeks ago, Andrew Dice Clay was featured as a guest on there for some reason. I definitely think they're trying to attract an audience closer to being from their generation, which is fine, and I was raised on several of bands from that generation because my mother is roughly the same age as the hosts. It's just the selection of artists and the format that turn me off.
+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 1:57am
Originally posted by PrincessOfTheAncient PrincessOfTheAncient wrote:

Thirty Rock. I watched this show a few times, and it did nothing for me. I sat there for a half hour thinking to myself "...So where's the funny part?". To me, it just seemed like a half hour stream of absurd/"randomlololol" one liners, satire taking itself too seriously, and popular culture references. Do not want.

I see where you're coming from, but I think what you see as taking itself too seriously is the show mocking the pretentiousness of the TV industry (esp. celebrities), i.e. Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin) and Jenna (Jane Krakowski). I watched it pretty regularly then fell off. Have since rediscovered it in syndication, and it has me laughing pretty hard again.

As for shows I can't stand, anything with the Kardashians...pretty to look at, but that family takes themselves way too seriously. You would think they were the royal family based on some of the interviews I've glanced at. Even the Osbournes realized that they were dysfunctional as hell.

Any show (usually a talk or game show) where the audience cheers over the slightest thing like trained seals, or gives a standing ovation for everything. The latter really bugs the crap out of me.

America's Got Talent...takes itself way too seriously.

Agreed on any show that relies on a bunch of MTV camera effects and swoosh sounds for every single transition. As much as I enjoy "Iron Chef America", the one thing I can't stand is the sound of knife blades swiping to show a cutaway.

Celebrity "news" shows that are about nothing more than what someone had for lunch or what they were wearing. It wouldn't be so annoying if they were more tongue-in-cheek like TMZ, but these guys really put themselves on a pedestal of importance.
The poster formerly known as producer757
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 5:14am
As far as Pawn Stars, I like the show mainly for the historical value of some of the things people bring in, not to mention some of the crazy sh*t that people bring in that make me scratch my head and wonder where they found such a thing.

I remember distinctly though, one guy got completely screwed out of several thousand dollars. He had a Colt 1851 Navy cap n' ball revolver that was still operational and got paid sh*t for it. It's a little ridiculous sometimes, but these guys do have a business to run.

I like Storage Wars, it's pretty damn interesting.

But like, why does Ice Road Truckers and Swamp People belong on the History Channel? I mean, a show about a bunch of fat guys bitching about their jobs and another show about a bunch of rednecks wrasslin' with alligators...that isn't history.

Also, why is the Jerry Springer Show still on? How many times can you watch a redneck transvestite hooker hurl chairs across a stage without getting tired of it? Give it a rest. Steve Wilkos is more of the same.
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 6:50am
Thought of two more..."Operation Repo".

What irritates me is how outlandish (read: asinine) the situations are. If they were slightly exaggerated, then I wouldn't mind, but they're just all over the place with the plots. it's ridiculous.

"Ugly Betty" is another one. That goofy smile she always had on her face irked me, but the show itself was just too damn goofy and over-the-top, almost in a smug wink-in-a-nod way. Going back to the MTV-camerawork and cuts, this show irritates me with the constant transition wipes. IMO, those idiotic effects take away from weak writing and producing.
The poster formerly known as producer757
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 8:12am
^The problem with Ugly Betty is that it was a very poorly done rip-off (Sorry, but when any show gets remade in a different country, I consider it a rip-off, culturally at the least). They cut out too many elements that made the original good, while keeping some - as you said the goofy over-the-topness - just didn't work in the cultural translation.

The original was actually kind of entertaining, the 'rip-off' was an embarrassment.
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 12:28pm
@TVPirate: Fair enough. I suppose that perhaps it's the way the show is produced that makes it come across as kind of smarmy. I typically don't enjoy TV shows like that, though. The humor doesn't appeal to me, but it appears to be doing pretty well for itself.
+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

But like, why does Ice Road Truckers and Swamp People belong on the History Channel? I mean, a show about a bunch of fat guys bitching about their jobs and another show about a bunch of rednecks wrasslin' with alligators...that isn't history.

This is one of the reasons I gave up watching Pay-TV. What was supposed to be a Channel about History now shows programs that are WAY out of their leagues. Sadly, they are not alone, other channels have swayed so far off course they no longer resemble their original format. Others have resorted to "Dissecting" a TV Show (For example if someone on the show is a Man, it's on Spike TV, if it's a Woman it's on WE, if an actor is African-American it's on BET, if someone mentions an Historical Event it's on The History Channel, and so on..), which is why sometimes you end up seeing the SAME Episode of the SAME TV Show 12 or more times a day on just as many channels. Combine this with the INSANE amount of advertising and ever-rising fees and IMO it just isn't worth paying to subscribe to a Pay-TV Service anymore. Dead
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

This is one of the reasons I gave up watching Pay-TV. What was supposed to be a Channel about History now shows programs that are WAY out of their leagues. Sadly, they are not alone, other channels have swayed so far off course they no longer resemble their original format. Others have resorted to "Dissecting" a TV Show (For example if someone on the show is a Man, it's on Spike TV, if it's a Woman it's on WE, if an actor is African-American it's on BET, if someone mentions an Historical Event it's on The History Channel, and so on..), which is why sometimes you end up seeing the SAME Episode of the SAME TV Show 12 or more times a day on just as many channels. Combine this with the INSANE amount of advertising and ever-rising fees and IMO it just isn't worth paying to subscribe to a Pay-TV Service anymore. Dead

This is what Wikipedia says.  I emboldened the funny part:

"Also some of the network's series, including Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men and Pawn Stars garnered ratings in the U.S., while receiving criticism over the series' non-historical nature. The History Channel now centrally focuses on reality content, eschewing researched historical programming due to the moderately high levels of education and comprehension required to produce it. By contrast, the production of Ax Men requires only a very limited knowledge of basic broadcasting standards and access to prosumer digital cinematography tools."

So, they gave up on historical shows because it required intelligence to produce.  LOL

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 2:53pm

This is what Wikipedia says.  I emboldened the funny part:

"Also some of the network's series, including Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men and Pawn Stars garnered ratings in the U.S., while receiving criticism over the series' non-historical nature. The History Channel now centrally focuses on reality content, eschewing researched historical programming due to the moderately high levels of education and comprehension required to produce it. By contrast, the production of Ax Men requires only a very limited knowledge of basic broadcasting standards and access to prosumer digital cinematography tools."

So, they gave up on historical shows because it required intelligence to produce.  LOL

"The Dumbing Down" of America Continues. Dead
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 3:15pm
I remember when TruTV was Court TV, and televised a lot of actual court proceedings, followed by legal analysis.  Now that it's TruTV, we get Lizard Lick Tow.

Pervis View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pervis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 4:12pm
Friends...I so hate that show so much.

Also, The Big Bang Theory is just f-ing terrible.
john koenig View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john koenig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 4:00am
TV as we over the age of 30 knew it died in 1999-2000 with Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and Survivor. By 2002, when American Idol debuted, it was buried for good.
To think, Newton Minow called TV a "vast wasteland" in 1961 at a time when shows like The Twilight Zone, Route 66 and Perry Mason were in primetime. I would love to hear what he thinks about today's TV (yes, he's still alive at age 86.)
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 11:21am
Originally posted by john koenig john koenig wrote:

TV as we over the age of 30 knew it died in 1999-2000 with Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and Survivor. By 2002, when American Idol debuted, it was buried for good.
To think, Newton Minow called TV a "vast wasteland" in 1961 at a time when shows like The Twilight Zone, Route 66 and Perry Mason were in primetime. I would love to hear what he thinks about today's TV (yes, he's still alive at age 86.)

Seconded!

Compared to today's TV Shows, Mr. Minow's "Wasteland" of 1961 is a

PARADISE !!!
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 1:21pm

I'd like to hear what he thinks now of those old TV shows.  I wonder if he'd say "Yeah.  Those old TV shows are pretty good, so I musta been wrong".

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john koenig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 8:24pm

I'd like to hear what he thinks now of those old TV shows.  I wonder if he'd say "Yeah.  Those old TV shows are pretty good, so I musta been wrong".

Minow would no doubt be forced to admit it. One very interesting thing stands out. Look at today's "average"  American...insulated, in a bubble world of his own small interests and woefully ignorant of the universe around him. Leno proves it on his Jaywalking segment (perhaps extreme examples, but these are well dressed, well fed Americans.)  Television is programmed for that audience.  How many ads do we need for phones? For fast food? For soda? The desired demographic is now the under 30 crowd. Even when advertisers try to market to those 30-60,  they can't break out of their obsessive youth angle (just see the latest Lowe's commercial for proof of that.)
Long story short...most people today are shallow and self-obsessed. They are clueless about the world. 45 years ago, Gilligan's Island satirized Medicare and the Cold War. 50 years ago, Car 54 Where Are You? had an opening theme that mentioned Khrushchev! Imagine a sitcom today mentioning Putin...it would be cancelled after two episodes.
Now
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:43am

And that's your CIH post of the year, right there! Well said, Mr. Koenig. Clap

Hundreds of threads killed.
FromtheWordsofBR View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromtheWordsofBR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 10:59pm
The ones for me are:

*Any crappy new show that involves being famous on Disney Channel
*Anything that involves turning a childhood TV character into poorly animated CGI (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, DISNEY!)
*Anything non-music related on MTV (excluding Beavis and Butthead)
*Shows that feature two women arguing with each other for the whole show
*Non-cartoon shows on Cartoon Network
WalpurgisQuill View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalpurgisQuill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 6:40am
Daytime talk shows with sad themes. The sound of people sobbing while trying to talk is extremely, extremely annoying and makes me glad that the person is miserable but at the same time its because they're miserable that I'm annoyed as hell so its really just roundabout logic, for me.
JuiceHead View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuiceHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 8:54pm

It's funny how our perspective changes with time, and how everything is really relative in the end.  Example: I was watching an old Jackson 5 video ("I want you back") on YouTube recently.  When I was a teenager, us guys all hated that group, and that kind of music, with a passion.  By today's standards, that was actually a pretty good song, and two of the Jacksons even played musical instruments!!

What do we have today, by comparison?  Gansta Rap?  Justin Beiber??!?
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john koenig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by JuiceHead JuiceHead wrote:

It's funny how our perspective changes with time, and how everything is really relative in the end.  Example: I was watching an old Jackson 5 video ("I want you back") on YouTube recently.  When I was a teenager, us guys all hated that group, and that kind of music, with a passion.  By today's standards, that was actually a pretty good song, and two of the Jacksons even played musical instruments!!

What do we have today, by comparison?  Gansta Rap?  Justin Beiber??!?
Real musical talent dried up when the record companies started (in the early '90s) to take acts and  "use 'em and lose 'em) squeezing as much out of them in a short period of time at little cost . From the mid '50s to the late '60s, acts were signed to multi-year, multi-album contracts and given the time and the tools to grow and improve. If you look back at some of the early albums of some groups, they were less than great...Journey, Styx and Fleetwood Mac come to mind. But their long term deals allowed them to progress.  Sort of like TV back then...even the most horrible failure lasted 13 episodes on the air. Think of the shows that would have never made it then if today's  rules were the norm...Dallas, St. Elsewhere, Cheers, All in the Family were all slow starters.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 11:31pm

One group of shows that bug the heck out of me have been coming on 'TLC' for some time; reality shows about people who exploit their kids ('Toddlers in Tiaras') and over-sized, dysfunctional families ('Jon & Kate + 8', or that midget family show).

Why? Why do we need to see stuff like this?

The ghost hunting shows were fun for, oh...about one season, but became nothing more than sensationalism as people 'eeked' & 'screeched' - while we never saw a thing, or anything we saw could readily be explained with basic camera trickery. Don't even get me started on the UFO silliness. Yea, sure, fine - I once thought I saw one when I was shipping one of the boys off at the airport real early one morning - stared at it for about 5 minutes before some guy walked up behind me and said, "Beautiful morning, eh?" - I turned to acknowledge him as he climed in car and took off, and, well - when I looked up again, nothing. Wrote it off as being tired - and that is where that experience will remain. Screw a bunch of it - make a *real* documentary, should someone actually FIND somethiing, otherwise, why waste my hours?

Now we have shows like 'swamp Chilluns' & other folks that never went to school. 'Duck Dynasty' may be the lowest point for these - reminds me of bad ZZ Top gone ignorant. Again, WHY?!

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:40am
IMO "Hip-Hop" is to Music what "Reality Shows" are to TV. Cheap to Make, and as just as profitable to the Studios. Angry  Fortunately CDs of Music from Bygone Times are just as available as DVDs of older TV Shows (And you all know my opinion of those!) LOL I have enough CDs that I can spend an entire year and not hear the same tune twice!
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:36am
I used to like VH1's Behind the Music, but the past few years it's become all about the latest rappers and divas.  Today, it was about someone named T-Pain.  Soooo not interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic