Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shows you can't stand to watch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 9:42pm
That other Rick, from Rick's Restorations, has a new spin-off show coming out. Sounds thrilling......Sleepy
Sponsored Links

Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

What I like best is seeing articles that are genuine, historical items and the stories of how they were made, who owned them, etc.  Show is like a poor man's Antiques Road Show, and I think that it is occasionally funny.  And just for the sake of argument, I'd much rather watch the "guys" on Pawn Stars than just about any other reality tv show.  I'd take Chumley over NeNe (one of the "wives" shows) any day!LOL

I don't think Rick cheats people, like you mentioned, he has a business to run. The fact it is located in Vegas doesn't hurt either.
It's the fact that people bring in those historic items to a pawn store instead of doing a little research themselves to get top dollar and cut out the middle man.

The same "might"  be said about American Pickers(I love this show). They try to be fair but they too, have to make a profit when they re-sell. 

Can't stand the "wives of" shows either.

Pawn Stars is ok. I also watch it for the items, much more so than the people running the store.

The Detroit pawn shop show is much nastier, but Detroit has become a rather nasty place, so I guess it is "real" enough.

I've come to enjoy "Pickers" also, but I really wish they would expand the range of stuff they look for and display during the show. I have little use for the very earliest Harley motorcycles that look like a bicycle with a motor hung onto it as an afterthought. I've no use for 99% of old ad signs. I've no use for old oil cans. That is mostly what those two are looking for, and they go ape $hit when they find them. I myself like old vacuum tube radios. I am restoring a 1938 Zenith console radio, and a couple of old Sears Silvertone radios about that old also. I've seen episodes of Pickers where those two dweebs just blindly walk right on past beautiful old radios of several different styles. They once in a while stop and look at very old TV sets. I've emailed them my comments on the matter, with the usual lack of response.

Antiques Roadshow is similarly myopic. I've been to their PBS website, which has a good lookup search engine for items from the show, and searching for "radio" turns up NOTHING, because the producers of the show totally ignore such things that people might bring to the taping.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

IAntiques Roadshow is similarly myopic. I've been to their PBS website, which has a good lookup search engine for items from the show, and searching for "radio" turns up NOTHING, because the producers of the show totally ignore such things that people might bring to the taping.

I heard a fellow went on this show with an old Credit Card. It turned out to be the very first Mastercard issued. It's Value,

PRICELESS!LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Original Cyn View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Original Cyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 4:33am
I used to enjoy watching TVLand, because they showed older sitcoms that I liked (ie., Roseanne, before she went nuts the last few seasons, M*A*S*H, and the like.  Never was a fan of Andy Griffith (long before my time), but I do still find All In The Family to be entertaining here and there.  

Now that channel has become the network of The Nanny and Everybody Loves Raymond.  Here's a news flash for ya, TVLand Execs:  The Nanny SUCKS, and Fran Drescher's voice breaks glass every time she opens her maw.  Also, NOT EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND.  

Every damn night, they show about 

- 3 hours of ELR, followed by 
- 2 hours of The (obnoxious, brainless, tacky) Nanny, along with a long block in the middle of the night of - - - Three's Company, one of the worst shows of the 70s - was it the bad drugs from that decade that caused it to be one of the top shows of that time?  I've endured a few episodes of that, and the whole time all I could think was "WTF was America's problem that this show was funny?"

Even worse, Nickolodeon also shows endless marathons of The Nanny.  

Other shows that need to be sh*tcanned include Two and a Half Men, the Housewives crap on Bravo, anything with Paris Hilton, Miley Cyrus, and other celebutards, Full House reruns (my much younger sister LOVED that show, and we would get into fights over the remote when it was in prime time).

Also, SNL needs to be put out of its misery - it hasn't been funny in years.  Ditto for that blowhard, Jay Leno.
"Well-behaved women rarely make history." ~~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 12:50am
House of Payne
Meet the Browns
Anything Tyler Perry Produces
According to Jim
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 2:22am
Ugh. I hate According to Jim
so
MUCH.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 4:43am
Originally posted by JasonTKD JasonTKD wrote:

Superdork 90210...er, uh...I mean, Smallville.  (Yeah, I said  it) .  ENOUGH already with the "he's gonna fly this time....nope, not really........yes he is.... wait,no he isn't......yes he is, we mean it this time!.....Oh, wait, nevermind...." crap.

YAY!  Smallville finally got put out of our misery!  Even watched the very last episode.  For those who didn't see it, here's how it ended:

Chloe was reading a Superman comic book (called 'Smallville') with her kid. 

Which pretty much sums up the whole show as "None of this ever happened" (kind of like the last scene in Newhart.)  Thus, the Superman universe is saved from being forever saddled with the lameness that sh*t squat upon it.... LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 4:17pm
Food shows that turn food into some sort of ridiculous competition.  I mean, really---Cupcake Wars??

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 4:21pm
Celebrity Ghost Stories.  I'm not interested in such ghost sighting stories to begin with, but what would make "celebrity" experiences with the paranormal any more compelling?  Besides, they're actors; they play roles and are, therefore, less credible.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Celebrity Ghost Stories.  I'm not interested in such ghost sighting stories to begin with, but what would make "celebrity" experiences with the paranormal any more compelling?  Besides, they're actors; they play roles and are, therefore, less credible.

ConfusedAgreed! Who came up with this idiotic idea?! The BIO channel stuffs hours with that silliness.
They really should have named that, "Bedtime Stories read to you by T.V. Stars"

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 8:33pm
I don't like any of those "Ghost Stories" or "Paranormal Pie Holes" or whatever. It all loses credibility the second they say "ACTION".
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 8:41pm
Tattoo shows.  First there was LA Ink, then Miami Ink, now TLC is pushing it's newest inkfest - NY Ink.Dead
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I don't like any of those "Ghost Stories" or "Paranormal Pie Holes" or whatever. It all loses credibility the second they say "ACTION".
WinkYa got a point there, Mad...it couldn't hurt if they could actually grab some footage that was really shocking...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

WinkYa got a point there, Mad...it couldn't hurt if they could actually grab some footage that was really shocking...

LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by DARK FATHER DARK FATHER wrote:

I have to agree with Tiz.  That show is TERRIBLE.  I hate to see money-desperate people get RIPPED OFF by these deceitful jackals!  They are SO typical of how pawn shop owners are!  I know they are in it for the money, but I have a heart!

I have agree with you and Tiz. I've hated Pawn Stars and itsfoul spawn American Pickers since they began. Three fat guys and an old guy ripping people off isn't entertaining. I used to watch the History Channel a lot when they actually showed history stuff. No matter how you dress it, a stupid ass reality show ain't History. Put it on Tru TV or something. I had actually quit watching or even checking HC because of those shows when I had basic cable. Now that we have digital cable Theres occassional something interesting on one of HCs, but I still don't go out of my way to watch them.

Right now TLC is banned in my home as long as they show trash like "Toddlers in Tiaras". They should go on and change their name to the Trash Channel or the Pedophile Network.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 12:40am
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

I have agree with you and Tiz. I've hated Pawn Stars and itsfoul spawn American Pickers since they began. Three fat guys and an old guy ripping people off isn't entertaining. I used to watch the History Channel a lot when they actually showed history stuff. No matter how you dress it, a stupid ass reality show ain't History. Put it on Tru TV or something. I had actually quit watching or even checking HC because of those shows when I had basic cable. Now that we have digital cable Theres occassional something interesting on one of HCs, but I still don't go out of my way to watch them.

Right now TLC is banned in my home as long as they show trash like "Toddlers in Tiaras". They should go on and change their name to the Trash Channel or the Pedophile Network.
I agree about 'Pawn Stars'; being a history lover, I like to see what people bring in, I hate to watch museum pieces go for pennies on the dollar - but people get desperate...
Now - 'American Pickers'? LOVE IT. They 'rescue history' for a profit, as I see it. They wander around and find the lost garages and abandonded places; there is so much stuffed away...let it rot? Naw...someone has to bring it back to life - and it is something sorely needed; so few know what 'came before'. Maybe they make a bundle - big deal; here it is again - in front of your face, rather than becoming the dust from which it emerged. Neat stuff - fun hobby.
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 6:27pm
*Insert profession here* Wives

As if the "reality" TV genre wasn't a big enough of an abomination already

KellyLynn View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 7:25pm
pretty much anything on TLC is off-limits in my house. The History Channel and Discovery dropped out of channel rotation when they started with the end of the world crap. (for purposes of full disclosure,we no longer have cable/satellite. Our TV entertainment comes mostly via the Internet.)
I'm also sick of shows that still try to follow the "Friends" model. How many series based around a large group of shallow, self-absorbed singles are networks going to shove down our throats?
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Chumley(sp.?) has to go. The obese fat black haired dude...... what is his purpose there other than comedy relief....
Wink 'Gotcher Back' there, Tizzer!
Chumley is an idiot - a 'charity case' (doncha know SOMEBODY'S gotta support 'Jerry's Kids').
You can look and listen to the guy and you know he quit junior high school.
He probably got his nickname in a prison shower.

Chumley Underdog

Yea....that asswipe needs some of this:
1-I kinda miss Tennessee Tuxedo (I wonder if that's on DVD?)
2-Bozo looks odd in that pic...is he MJ or something?
3-The duckling that is in the tub looks like Donald Duck's Nephews.

Back on subject...I don't like "Bob's Burgers", the family looks ugly, who watches that show?
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 10:10pm
Enough with the swamp people, swamp survival, swamp gator hunting shows.
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 2:10pm
I didn't even know about that trend. All I know is, I'm crazy about reptiles, so that gator hunting part would be enough to keep me away.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 11:55pm
You might like to check out Python Hunters; they also chase alligators, monitors, iguanas, etc.  All 3 of them have/breed pythons and gators--actually kind of a weird setup with the pythons.  They trap wild pythons that are overrunning the Everglades and will be euthanized but they also raise them for sale (exotic colors).  Anyway, most of the fun is watching these 3 40something guys act like children.  It can get pretty funny.  They are always getting snake musk/sh*t on them and falling in water and getting bit; and the LOVE it. Like "Animal House" the Everglades!
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
GEICO Gecko View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEICO Gecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 8:16am
- Entertainment Tonight, and any other 'entertainment show'
- Dharma & Greg
- Dancing with the 'Stars'
- Jersey Whore
- Judge Jerky can get on my nerves from time to time where I just have to turn off the TV.
- Eye for an Eye

For those of you who may not have ever watched late-night TV, Eye for an Eye is a downright ridiculous TV show, by any stretch of the imagination. The people who come on it are also like Jerry Springer types.

Example:
Irene745 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irene745 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 10:43pm
One time I tried to "get into" watching Grey's Anatomy.  I felt like the background music was distracting.  Plus, everyone didn't seem as attractive as they seemed to think they were.  Not that unattractive people aren't worthy of romantic relationships, but to be in a torrid affair on a popular tv show, some level of attractiveness seems necessary.
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 10:58pm
Plus, heated up medical students and interns were a huge cliche decades before that show came along. I'm not saying that by itself makes it a bad show, but every time people use that as a selling point for it, it doesn't work in my case BECAUSE that joke's been around forever.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic