Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snowpocalypse 2010: Winter Storm Barbara

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowpocalypse 2010: Winter Storm Barbara
    Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 2:34am
It's predicted to be buried tomorrow, they're all ready canceling things tonight preparing for the worst, hoping for the best.

We're expected to be slammed tomorrow.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 2:47am
I got called to work for a few days, but there's no way I can walk in a snow storm.
I've done it before.
I hate it. It's not very pleasant at all.
Then there's Thursday and Friday to consider. Hmmm.....
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 2:51am
Yeah, they're predicting it to drop down possibly below freezing here from Wed. night to Thurs. morning.

Uggghhhh!!!!!
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 2:53am
I hope schools get cancelled. I really don't want to have to walk fifteen miles in the snow, barefoot, uphill both ways.
I have 168 characters remaining.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 2:17pm

Are you Northeasterners off from work/school today?  I read that the governor of NJ is encouraging people to stay home, and many businesses are simply closed.

Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 2:47pm
The city here where I live and the surrounding cities got 6 inches of snow OMG WERE ALL GOING TO DIE.  They canceled all the schools for the day.  It's not even snowing anymore and the streets are completely clear.  Am I just missing something?  Do they just do this to save some gas money?  What would happen if there were a couple feet of snow?  Cancel school for the rest of the year?   Is this what our society has become panic at every little weather pattern? ::Bangs head on keyboard::  I must be missing something.

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 3:39pm

IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE!!!!Shocked

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE!!!!Shocked

So I guess you're getting hit, right? Shocked
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I read that the governor of NJ is encouraging people to stay home, and many businesses are simply closed.

Oh, now there's a daunting task.... getting people in New Jersey to stay home from work.... LOLLOL

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 5:18pm
Snow's finally starting to come down. Took it long enough....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by NiteRaidah NiteRaidah wrote:

Why?  Was it going up for awhile?

Big%20smile

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I read that the governor of NJ is encouraging people to stay home, and many businesses are simply closed.

Oh, now there's a daunting task.... getting people in New Jersey to stay home from work.... LOLLOL

My bro's taking next week off, as it is.  LOL

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 5:39pm

Big%20smile

hur hur hur.   
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 5:47pm

Big%20smile

Funny as a crutch, Rich!!

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 5:49pm
Somebody had to say it.

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 6:34pm
This "storm" was over-hyped to the point that they actually shut down the NYC public schools today. They shut the schools down for this?! It's just a regular ol' snowfall! I've seen some real bad snowstorms when I was in school but they never even thought about closing the schools; they made us go out in it and people got sick as a result of it. I decided to go to work today because what's falling outside does NOT constitute as a blizzard.

The news people were screaming "BLIZZARD WARNING! BLIZZARD WARNING!" for the little snowfall we got on Saturday and they were doing the same thing for this piddling little storm. That's fantastic - create panic for no reason at all. I really thought we'd be buried like they are in Washington D.C. and Maryland but this is NOTHING!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 6:42pm

Hey Mooch - up here in the 'burbs we're getting zilch, too. Bummer - I was ready for a blizzard.

Yiffy - where are you from? You sound like you could be my neighbor! (Putnam County, NY)

The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 6:51pm
It's so cilly down here in Florida today, you have to put on long sleeves if you're not out in the sun.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big%20smile

C'mon, man!
Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 7:11pm
moochamoocha you made my point exactly.  I can't stand all the media hype and the weather channel hype makes everyone go crazy.  God it's ridiculous.  

Madawee I actually not by choice living in Detroit Michigan right now. ::groan::

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Yiffy Yiffy wrote:

The city here where I live and the surrounding cities got 6 inches of snow OMG WERE ALL GOING TO DIE.  They canceled all the schools for the day.  It's not even snowing anymore and the streets are completely clear.  Am I just missing something?  Do they just do this to save some gas money?  What would happen if there were a couple feet of snow?  Cancel school for the rest of the year?   Is this what our society has become panic at every little weather pattern? ::Bangs head on keyboard::  I must be missing something.
They do that here Yif, if it's just a couple inches of snow. The kid's parents now have to make "arrangements" since school is out, but it beats a lawsuit when a bus skids into a ditch on some back road and Jr. gets injured.
Plus, it keeps all that school traffic off the road so the crews can clean them.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

The news people were screaming "BLIZZARD WARNING! BLIZZARD WARNING!" for the little snowfall we got on Saturday and they were doing the same thing for this piddling little storm. That's fantastic - create panic for no reason at all.

When we get rain down here in FL, the weather people freak out like it's a hurricane coming in.  Then the TV stations rush out the reporters to show us fallen trees.... LOL
DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 12:27am
One of my ex-girlfriends sent me pics of her home in West Virginia.  BEAUTIFUL! I live in a city by the sea on the South Carolina coast.  It NEVER snows here.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

This "storm" was over-hyped to the point that they actually shut down the NYC public schools today. They shut the schools down for this?! It's just a regular ol' snowfall! I've seen some real bad snowstorms when I was in school but they never even thought about closing the schools; they made us go out in it and people got sick as a result of it. I decided to go to work today because what's falling outside does NOT constitute as a blizzard.

The news people were screaming "BLIZZARD WARNING! BLIZZARD WARNING!" for the little snowfall we got on Saturday and they were doing the same thing for this piddling little storm. That's fantastic - create panic for no reason at all. I really thought we'd be buried like they are in Washington D.C. and Maryland but this is NOTHING!

Yeah the do hype it up a bit we got not that much snowfall here I only had to shovel once, that's a record!

Unhappy
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 2:29am
Cry We've only got about 3 ft. of OLD snow....it's been much too cold to snow for too long; just a bunch of friggin' ice...we miss snow and positive numbers greater than 8, when discussing 'degrees', farenhitically-speaking.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 6:38pm
I don't know why, but anytime a winter storm watch seems to come in Nebraska, all the schools either close or start one or two hours late.  And there is still about 2"-3" still on the ground from December, it hasn't gone above 50 since early December and only broke 40 once or twice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic