Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you use substitute sugars? If so..

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you use any of the following
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [18.18%]
2 [18.18%]
5 [45.45%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [18.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you use substitute sugars? If so..
    Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 7:19pm
I prefer Splenda then Equal and Sweet n Low if that is the only choice.

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
Sponsored Links

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 8:54pm
I am not diabetic so I use sugar.
I find anything else to be weird. I am not offended and worried about them like some are, but it is weird that many are by products from the pharmaceutical or industrial world. Sweet and Low I believe was derived from coal, (or more like Saccharin the  main ingredient in S/L)
Aspartame (equal) was from a stomach medicine and I don't remember how Splenda came about but I know it is derived from blasting Sucrose with chlorine gas.
Stevia is pretty good, it is a plant.
Sugar is simply that, sugar. Ounce for ounce is pretty low in calories and I grew up in the 70s so it was abundant in my life but I am not a sugar junkie at least not in the sense that I crave sweets ( I know it is all over savory foods just hidden)

Sugar though, I know is bad in high quanitities as well. But 1500+ years since sugar as we know it came to be used tells me that we are doing ok with it and there is little use for substitutes, just moderation and education, again this does not include sugar restrictive diets like those in diabetics. Though I know that at times they even need a sudden sugar intake at times when they are crashing.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 8:58pm
I go through phases.  I'm in a real sugar phase, right now.

Otherwise, it's Splenda, then either the blue or the pink packet, I don't care.

I'll always choose Sugar in the Raw (the brown granulated stuff) over plain white, but I think that's just mental because it seems cooler.

Stevia tastes awful.  I'd go without sweetener rather than use it.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 10:24pm
I try to buy sugar-free products as much as possible.  I've had the same 5lb bag of sugar in my cabinet that I bought in 2002.  My neighbor borrows some once in a while.  If I need to use a sweetener, I have a bag of generic Splenda.  My bro's diabetic, and while I'm not, I wanna keep it that way. 

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 11:31pm
HELL NO !!!

Stevia leaves me feeling poisoned, and even a small amount of Splenda leaves an aftertaste in my mouth for 8-12 hours.  Dead

I'll stick with real sugar even after it's made illegal and has to be smuggled into the country....
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 12:27am
Yiffy, your poll question doesn't match your topic question.  You asked, do you use artificial sweeteners?  The poll has no option to say no.  It only asks which brand you use.

I really try not to use them.  Everything I've read about them sounds really bad.  Because they are artificial, they seem to mess with your body as badly as cigarettes do.

Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 12:50am
I wanted to put Stevia and none used but I accidentally submitted before hand.  If a moderator could change this that would be great.  Actually if you edit a pull post right away you should be able to take away and add options so technically CIH is at fault too.

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 12:54am
The poll is part of the first post.  You might be able to edit it by editing the first post.  Haven't made a poll in a while, so I'm not totally sure.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 1:01am
I can't mod in this section, otherwise I'd try to help you out...Although I believe I did a poll once, and as I recall - you cannot edit it once you've created it.*For the record, it's not "CIH" (which would be ForumAdmin) who controls that, it's the software that he licenses for the forum.I think the poll is fine the way it is worded.  As I interpret it - it is only applicable to those who do use artificial sweetener.  If you don't, you wouldn't participate in the poll.If it's possible to edit the question to add "If so, " (etc.) that would help, but as I said - you may not be able to do that. 
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 1:02am

Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

The pole is part of the first post.  You might be able to edit it by editing the first post.  Haven't made a pole in a while, so I'm not totally sure.
I did that as soon as I realized my mistake.  You can only edit the pull answers you gave originally.  It does not let you add more.  Maybe ForumAdmin can change this?

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 1:06am
Eh, no biggie. Smile
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I've had the same 5lb bag of sugar in my cabinet that I bought in 2002.  My neighbor borrows some once in a while.

You obviously live in a very dry climate with very little or no humidity.

If you did that here in Florida, you'd have had a solid brick of sugar after the first summer.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 3:35am
Yeah.  A reeeally humid summer day here is maybe 60% humidity.  More typical is 15% to 30% humidity.  The first time I experienced 60% summertime humidity here, a neighbor had to point it out to me.  I said "Oh yeah...I do kinda feel it a little bit."  We get that maybe once per summer ('bout as often as we get a cloudy summer day).  LOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 4:00am
'SUGAR' wasn't an option. That's what we use.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 4:07am
I'm diabetic so I have to use it. I prefer Splenda because it seems closest to sugar in coffee, cereal, and other foods. But I can use any of them. The only one I try to avoid if I have a choice is Sweet & Low--it leaves a bitter taste with me. It's not bad in iced tea, though.
Hundreds of threads killed.
Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 4:14am
Stevia is a  natural sweetener that's ok in some things but not others--I don't like it  in tea.   I don't poison my body with Sucralose or Aspartame.  Read up on that junk!  Scary!    I use a tablespoon a day or so of brown sugar in my tea.    I plan to try STEVIA IN THE RAW.  That's the BRAND NAME not how I plan to use it (today)!  Wink  Apparently all other brands have an additive that could be the reason I don't like it too much....

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 4:15am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yeah.  A reeeally humid summer day here is maybe 60% humidity.  More typical is 15% to 30% humidity.  The first time I experienced 60% summertime humidity here, a neighbor had to point it out to me.  I said "Oh yeah...I do kinda feel it a little bit."  We get that maybe once per summer ('bout as often as we get a cloudy summer day).  LOL

Yeah, go ahead & gloat.

We'll see who runs out of water first.... Tongue

Around here, if worse ever comes to worse, we can just use dehumidifiers & extract several gallons of water a day right out of the frickin air!!!!  

I hear they're already doing that in Japan.

Another thing that's gaining popularity is rain collection systems.

Big plastic barrels that hook into your rain gutters.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 4:17am
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

I'm diabetic so I have to use it. I prefer Splenda because it seems closest to sugar in coffee, cereal, and other foods. But I can use any of them. The only one I try to avoid if I have a choice is Sweet & Low--it leaves a bitter taste with me. It's not bad in iced tea, though.

Yeah, I like Splenda in coffee too.

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 2:35pm
I'm a diabetic too, but I'll use real sugar in moderation, just like any other carb.  Actually, white bread screws up my blood sugar more than a little pure sugar. 
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 3:50pm
I normally use Sweet & Low in my coffee; the rest of my "eats" are generally not sweetened at all.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 3:53pm
I used to watch as Paula Poundstone, before going on stage, would take one of those glass sugar dispensers, tilt her head back, and pour half the contents down her throat.

Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 5:07pm
She was probably relieving a hangover.   Dead

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 5:53pm
I use regular sugar but Beloved uses some kind of stevia liquid. I tried it and didn't care for the taste at all.

I like honey in tea. I knew a guy who used to put it in coffee but I can't bring myself to try that.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic