Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old people and time standing still

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old people and time standing still
    Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 11:48pm
At work I have a lot to do, one of the most annoying things ever is when I'm in a rush trying to get something done and there is an old person ( you know the kind , the kind that moves so slow it's like all time within a 3 feet area around them is almost to a halt ) blocking my way moving -003 MPH.  ooh so frustrating!  Or that one grandma who is at the cash register trying to dig 15 pennies out of her purse.

Anyone feel me here? LOL  don't get me wrong God bless the old folk I'll be there one day myself but....

LOL

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
Sponsored Links

DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 12:05am
I sometimes find it annoying too , but then I remind myself that the time that they grew up in was more slow-moving than the fast-paced rat-race world today.  Also they may have arthritis or some condition that hinders faster movement.  MY pet peeve is when some grossly overweight person positions himself in a doorway or similar public way and just STANDS there oblivious to the fact that his oversized body is an obstruction to the public in general.
Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 12:11am
I would give anything to be able to live back then in a slower paced world.  How awesome would that be?

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 12:54am
Thats how they were raised and lived all their lives, Yif. Most still pay with cash or checks, which they don't start writting until the bill is rang up..... and then hand over their coupons.Unhappy
I usually try to avoid getting behind a "blue-hair" in a store checkout.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 12:57am
I'm old, but I can self-check out faster than anyone....I hate to wait.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Thats how they were raised and lived all their lives, Yif. Most still pay with cash or checks, which they don't start writting until the bill is rang up..... and then hand over their coupons.Unhappy
I usually try to avoid getting behind a "blue-hair" in a store checkout.

Oh, yes.  Then, they have to record the check details into their checkbook right then and there.

And for some reason, it's always women.  The old dudes use cards or cash.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I do that at Lowe's, but at supermarkets, I usually have produce that has to be weighed, so I have to wait in line.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 2:10am
Ask any old person just how much simpler and easy things were back then. Most will probably share a bit about time consumption and efficiency.
From what I have gathered 20 somethings and middle agers weren't shuffling around at a snail's pace 60 years ago, they just had more to do to get less tasks finished in a day.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I do that at Lowe's, but at supermarkets, I usually have produce that has to be weighed, so I have to wait in line.

The Kroger's where I shop has a scale built in to the scanner. 
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 5:18am
Thor, I think they all have scales in the scanners.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 5:22am

(Confuseddammit! just took me three hours to find and press the 'left-click' on that there mousey-thing...dozed off in mid-post...)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:20am

Faith and Hootman...it's not the weight that I'm thinking of.  How does the scanner know what the item is?  Not all produce has bar codes on it.

I just always assumed that if I have produce, I have to go to a regular check-out.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 11:57am
They have a "look-up" feature for most things...
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 4:06pm

Faith and Hootman...it's not the weight that I'm thinking of.  How does the scanner know what the item is?  Not all produce has bar codes on it.

I just always assumed that if I have produce, I have to go to a regular check-out.

You hit the screen and it asks you to find the produce item then it SHOUTS at you  "1 POINT 2 POUNDS OF ASPARAGUS"  and quotes the price.

*** Getting back to old people, yeah, it's frustrating but now my mom is on the slow side and I saw someone get annoyed with her crossing the street during rush hour and I wanted to cry. So, when I get annoyed at the pace of an older person, I put my mom's face there. Soon, I'll be putting MY face there.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 4:13pm

They have a "look-up" feature for most things...
Yea, right.
I get confused with the 'vegetable' look-up.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 4:19pm
I'll have to look more closely at the self-checkout screen next time the other lines are too long.  Hmmmm...maybe I can "accidentally" get organic grapes for the same price as the regular ones, and yellow peppers for the price of the green ones. 

Oooh...maybe I'll go on a price fraud spree today!  If they catch me, I'll just say "Duh, sorry".

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 5:57pm

I'll have to look more closely at the self-checkout screen next time the other lines are too long.  Hmmmm...maybe I can "accidentally" get organic grapes for the same price as the regular ones, and yellow peppers for the price of the green ones. 

Oooh...maybe I'll go on a price fraud spree today!  If they catch me, I'll just say "Duh, sorry".

No, "Duh, sorry, I'm old".
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 6:11pm

I'm a terrible person and used to do stuff like that except with bakery goods. Back in the day before they figured out how easy it was to fool the machine they had opaque wax paper bags for the self serve bakery items like donuts and muffins. I'd pick a .99 cent muffin, put it in the bag, and tell the machine I was getting a .49 cent donut. Weights were too close to set the machine off. Then one day they switched to clear bags, and I knew they finally caught on.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 7:13pm

Or I can say "Hey!  Who am I and why am I here?  Aren't you my grandmother?"

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 10:58pm
I don't like using the self checkouts at our Kroger if I have a lot of items or if they are bulky items. There are two racks of plastic bags on turn tables to put your items in. If you take a bag off to put in your cart to make room, the "lady" comes on...... "please place item back on counter".Angry
I think it's the same at Lowes, too.

Elderly people in stores. If they have an aisle blocked with their cart and don't see me waiting to get by, I usually just backup and go around the next aisle.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 11:28pm
I'm not old and I always pay with cash.  And I'm also one of the ones who digs a handful of coins out of my pocket to make exact change (got lots of it to get rid of. Big%20smile)  Deal.... LOL
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 11:37pm
When I worked as a cashier I used to get mad at the LAZY women who had an ocean of change in the bottom of their purse.  They would just simply pull out a 20 dollar bill and make ME count out their change which they just dropped into the ever-growing ocean of change in the purse.  In other words they would not count out the exact change that they had for their purchases because they were simply too lazy to count it.  When I say an ocean of change I mean that the bottom 1/4 or 1/3 of their purse was literally ALL CHANGE!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 12:12am

Or I can say "Hey!  Who am I and why am I here?  Aren't you my grandmother?"

When our Safeway was remodeled and they had just installed the self-checkout terminals, someone said something to the manager (who was standing there) about relying on the honesty of people using the self-checkout lanes.  He replied that even if there was some theft, it was still cheaper than paying cashiers.

And yet, the other day, I went through the self-checkout with my usual eight six-packs of seltzer, and I had to scan a six-pack eight times.  There is always a cashier overseeing the self-checkouts because there are always issues.  Now, keep in mind that I shop there all the time, and she knows who I am.  She had the nerve to ask me how many times I had scanned the soda.  I told her eight, but she argued that she could only see three on her terminal.  I said, I am SURE I scanned it more than three times.  So she waited until I was done and demanded to see my receipt, which I gave her.  "Oh.  Well, mine only showed three.  Thank you."  Not "I'm sorry." 

She's not the friendliest person, and I understand it's her responsibility to oversee her little section, but it really pissed me off, considering how often I am there (several times a week; I make it one of my walking destinations.  And sometimes even two days in a row).  And she could have apologized for HER error.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by DARK FATHER DARK FATHER wrote:

When I worked as a cashier I used to get mad at the LAZY women who had an ocean of change in the bottom of their purse.  They would just simply pull out a 20 dollar bill and make ME count out their change which they just dropped into the ever-growing ocean of change in the purse.  In other words they would not count out the exact change that they had for their purchases because they were simply too lazy to count it.  When I say an ocean of change I mean that the bottom 1/4 or 1/3 of their purse was literally ALL CHANGE!

I'm sorry, Dark Father, that was probably me...LOL Actually, I'm getting better but once in a while I yank all that change out and put it  in a jar. The last time I used one of those Coin Star machines, it sounded like I hit the slot machines in Vegas! I had about $120 in change. Took Beloved unexpectedly out to dinner.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 6:12pm
I suppose carrying around all that change is like weightlifting and keeps the carrier in shape! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic