Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visa Olympics commercial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visa Olympics commercial
    Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 12:02am
It's the only card I have, so I have a little paranoia about criticizing (!), but I have a problem with the ad giving the athlete's really personal backstory, followed by "Visa - the only card accepted at the Olympics."
Talk about a mood-killer. And it isn't unheard-of for commercials that get that way NOT to use any sales pitch at the end, in order to keep the "mood."

Sponsored Links

RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 1:23am
But it's supposed to be inspirational because he lied to his sister on her deathbed and then six years later won for his daughter who he named after his croaked sister. Awwwww, makes me want to get a Visa.
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 4:32am
At least they dropped the "... and they DON'T take American Express!" bit quite some time ago. I can just imagine THAT being tacked onto this commercial.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:21am
LOL! Yeah, the funniest thing being I always wondered why that was supposed to be a big deal since I don't think I know anyone who has an American Express card.
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 3:15pm
I always thought it was an accidental PLUG for AMEX, since they were the only competition Visa commercials ever talked about! With a dozen other competitors, thay made it sound like AMEX was the only one they were ever worried about, so it could've given the opposite little message to people.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 3:34pm
You might be on to something. Maybe after those commercials came out AMEX saw a big boost in membership, and Visa got freaked out.

"DOH! That one really backfired Bob!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic