Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid EAS tests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayj40444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid EAS tests
    Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 11:56pm
I seriously HATE these. You're enjoying a show with the volume at a pretty high level, then suddenly, the screen goes black with a bunch of text on it, accompanied by this LOUD AS ALL HELL buzzing noise! You jump up in shock, your heart is beating like hell, and you miss some of your show! Why do they think they should do those tests during then? Do them at night, when people are usually sleep, dammit!!!AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 12:50am

To add insult to injury, you can't even change the channel.  And here in CA, they run the alert en EspaƱol after they run it in English.  Same with Amber Alerts.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:56am
You get *3* letters and*2* languages?!!! Kind of a '6-for-2', now isn't it?! Do you get 'gas points' for that?
Confused 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 2:02am
For a long time I was catching them in the morning....yikes....they do drive you insane, and yep in CA they are on every station...arrrrgh.  Haven't seen/heard one in a while.  Sounded like a really really bored Hispanic fella.Clown
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 2:03am
Usually, the EAS has to do with weather alerts.  They list the counties which are going to be affected (and there are many counties in California).  Thing is, they're the same in Spanish as they are in English.  Calaveras is Calaveras.  Y Calaveras es Calaveras.
Rayj40444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayj40444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 2:39am
It's like tourture...CryCry
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 3:21am
It's always at 1am during my favorite show. Is there even a need for a test? Like how is it going to ever fail?
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 4:16am
God I hate these they always do it during my favorite show at 12:15 f**k THE EAS!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 5:27pm
They always seem to do this around midnight in my area, right in the middle of Robot Chicken, which pisses me off. You hear that annoying SQUAWK! SQUAWK! SQUAWK...SQUAWK...SQUAWK! sound then a low voice saying some crap about your local cable operator scheduling a test at this time. Lately, the low voice has been sped up so it comes out sounding like a chipmunk.
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 8:58pm
Okay since we are having some severe weather here in CA, last night came on one of these  National Weather Alert Services bulletin...stating that 60 mile an hour damaging winds and 1 1/2 inch hail stones are coming.....SCARED THE LIVING SH1T outta me.  I kept opening the door and checking and there would be intermittent rain and some wind...it then came on again later same announcement but different cities....I got so pissed about this....why is the data not correct.  I am tempted to email them about this notification last night.  The last time we had one of these bulletins it was also of an notorious event that we were going to be in an Tsunami event zone...nada....what's with these OBTUSE annoucements?
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

They always seem to do this around midnight in my area, right in the middle of Robot Chicken, which pisses me off. You hear that annoying SQUAWK! SQUAWK! SQUAWK...SQUAWK...SQUAWK! sound then a low voice saying some crap about your local cable operator scheduling a test at this time. Lately, the low voice has been sped up so it comes out sounding like a chipmunk.

LOL!do you have Cablevision? LOL

I do and the low voice sounds like he came from New York he has that kind of accent.

Here's what he says:

"Your local cable operator has authorized a test of the Emergency Alert System if this was an actual emergency information would have followed the tone."
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 11:18pm
The 'WEEKLY' test happens 'DAILY', on multtiple channels around here.
The office kiddies have it "auto-blocked".
I sacrafice myself to it any day I do not work in the office.
Sucks.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 4:14am
Actually I always get disappointed that they are not actual emergencies.  I am kind of hoping I'd get lucky one day and there'd be like this nuclear bomb headed for my house or something.  Alas I'm always disappointed 

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
TWCFan View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWCFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 4:21am
I was in the brunt of the storms in California. The EAS alerts came on several times, but none of them was for my county. Unless you are commuting or traveling somewhere, there's no need to hear that a county 50 miles north of you is under a severe thunderstorm warning.
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 4:33am
I haaaaaaaaaaaaate that noise. it goes all through me. It sounds terrible! It makes me yelp and scramble for the mute button
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 12:57am
I started a topic a year ago, but I don't care. When I'm watching AS I always keep my lights on. That sound scares the sh*t out of me at night. It gives me nightmares. Also, back in the Summer of 08, I was watching Euro 08 Russia VS Spain semi-final (most networks had those awful "summer specials", not much to watch so I turned to sports) and just during the beginning minute of the 2nd half that inconvenient EAS was pulled out. And in California, "weekly tests" are very common. In fact, back in summer 09 and 08 I saw them each 2 weeks! Come on do you think at least 1 is enough? Luckily, I never have seen 1 in spanish w/ english.
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

LOL!do you have Cablevision? LOL

I do and the low voice sounds like he came from New York he has that kind of accent.

Here's what he says:

"Your local cable operator has authorized a test of the Emergency Alert System if this was an actual emergency information would have followed the tone."

Yes, I do have Cablevision.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Yiffy Yiffy wrote:

Actually I always get disappointed that they are not actual emergencies.  I am kind of hoping I'd get lucky one day and there'd be like this nuclear bomb headed for my house or something.  Alas I'm always disappointed 
When I was a Kid one afternoon I got home, and my Father had left the Radio on, and suddenly, in the middle of the song, was that DAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Tune followed by "This has been an ACTIVATION of the Emergency Broadcast System!" Needless to say this scared the Censored out of me, I was thinking This is it! Bend over and place your Head between your legs, then kiss your @$$ "Goodbye!" Instead they were announcing a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for a County north of where I lived! Confused
Poiuyt Power!!!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 12:47am
UGH!

IT WAS HORRIBLE last night/earlier this morning at around 12:00 or so thereabouts they tested the stupid waste of money system not once but TWICE!!!!!!!!

I want to strangle the fool whoever thought up the EAS sound kit sounds WORSE then fingernails on a chalkboard SERIOUSLY.  

BTW what type of emergency DO they use this godawful system for NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST!!!??? We've had storms that sh*t winds at least 50 mph and there was no warning from the EAS AT ALL!!!!

BTW the voice changed to a monotone blabber no more New Yorky sounding guy NUTS!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 3:40am
This reminds me of the Tuesday-at-noon air-raid siren that goes off every week.  And afterward, you can hear that there's an announcement--but you can't understand a word the guy said.  I'm guessing it's the normal disclaimer about "If this had been a real emergency," but either make it loud enough for everyone to hear or don't bother!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Yiffy Yiffy wrote:

We get those EAS tests from time to time. They are usually tests for the Surry nuclear power plant in this state.
You oughta consider relocating there, Yif. Maybe one day it'll spring a leak and you'll be out of your misery.Wink 
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

This reminds me of the Tuesday-at-noon air-raid siren that goes off every week.  And afterward, you can hear that there's an announcement--but you can't understand a word the guy said.  I'm guessing it's the normal disclaimer about "If this had been a real emergency," but either make it loud enough for everyone to hear or don't bother!

I was once watching a Documentary on Tornado Disasters. One of their storys concerned a twister that touched down in a City AT THE EXACT TIME that City TESTED THEIR SIREN!Shocked Nearly 50 people were killed because thay didn't know a Tornado had really touched down until it was too late! (A real life "Boy who cried Wolf!" Situation). It said that City now uses sound effects like Cows, Cats, Beethovens Fifth Symphony, ect whenever they test the Siren, so people will know it's just a Test.
Poiuyt Power!!!
The Random Classic View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Random Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 3:57pm
This is why DirecTV owns, i have not gotten one EAS test since we switched.
Commercials I Hate Rules!!!!

"Why does Godzilla care about subway?"-Hezadancer

"Cats are animals.Their brains are the size of Milk Duds."-Kat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic