Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hanes socks - the ultimate stupid dad commercial
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanes socks - the ultimate stupid dad commercial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanes socks - the ultimate stupid dad commercial
    Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 3:23pm

This one must be pretty new, because I just saw it for the first time yesterday during the Macy's parade, and I didn't see it posted on YouTube yet.

I've seen some stupid dad/man commercials in my day, but this one absolutely takes the cake.

Mom walks in the front door and catches dad dipping junior's feet in a bucket of white "paint." She dryly asks what's going on, and stupid dad says they can never find "form fitting socks" or some crap like that, and he's figured out a solution. After he completes a sentence, junior eagerly chimes in by repeating what his stupid dad just said. You know, because he's also male and doesn't see the absurdity of what's going on and will obviously grow up to be just as stupid as his dad.

Mom just stares blankly at her idiotic husband and says "That's just stupid." Then he says something else dumb, so she reaches into her giant purse/bag and tosses him a 12-pack of new Hanes form-fitting socks.

This ad just infuriates me on so many levels, I just don't know where to begin. But I think the commercial kind of speaks for itself.

That's a bleepin' dead alien body if I ever bleepin' saw one.
Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 9:18pm
Mom just stares blankly at her idiotic husband and says"I married this man for what reason again" "That's just stupid." 
Haven't seen the ad but dipping your kid's feet in paint is pretty stupid. Why would a kid care about form-fitting socks anyway.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 9:44pm
Yeah, form-fitting underwear makes so much more sense....
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 11:48pm
Big%20smileWOW! *IIIiiiiiiiiiiii'm* EXCITED!
No - I have NOT seen the advertisement - but if they actually sell 'em, I'm'a buying!
THIS would address one of my TOP 5 'pet peeves'; 'socks that slip even a BIT' (drives me NUTS!).
Screw the ad - thanks for the info!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 10:42am
This one gets my vote for Stupidest Ad of 2009. I swear my brain melted after seeing this one.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Haven't seen the ad but dipping your kid's feet in paint is pretty stupid. Why would a kid care about form-fitting socks anyway.

Yeah, really!  Kids don't even care if their shoes are on the wrong feet.  Well, at least dad's not sliding a nice pair of form-fitting silk stockings on the lad.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 4:23pm
sounds stupid, glad I haven't seen it yet.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Yeah, really!  Kids don't even care if their shoes are on the wrong feet.  Well, at least dad's not sliding a nice pair of form-fitting silk stockings on the lad.

LOL

Can't find a matching pair? Who cares. Can't find any clean ones? Dig through the hamper.
Form fitting? Yeah, brag about that to your buds at school.Wink
msmith View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 11:08pm
Wish I would have had the turkey coma going when this one came on.
JasonTKD View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonTKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 2:02pm

After reading about all these "Dumb Dad" or "Men are Stupid" commercials, I've come to the conclusion that:

These commercials are obviously written by Lynn Jonhston of "For Better or For Worse"  LOL
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 11:59pm

I agree, this commercial is another in a long line of trying to make men look ridiculous. So many commercials either make the man look idiotic or the woman look like a total bitch.  It reminds me of the McDonald's commercial where the man gets every drop of value from the tool to break up the porch concrete but then tears up the entire sidewalk.

That being said, I hate retailers using the one-size-fits-all line.  It never is true.  I wear a size 7 shoe and all the socks I can buy are a 9-11.  Now, do you really think that there isn't going to be some excess material for me to bunch up somewhere?  Same thing with gloves.Angry

belc0011 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belc0011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 5:29pm

One thing you forgot to mention - what a coincidence that she just happened to have bought new form fitting socks on the exact day her idiot husband would decide he was so infuriated by socks that slip that he got a huge bucket of paint and dipped his kid's feet in it. 

Bring me the head of a pig, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing
Revolennon View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revolennon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 4:53am
They've resurrected this one--I've been seeing it again for the last couple weeks. What a terrible, terrible idea for a commercial. I truly would like to punch whoever green lit this POS firmly and squarely in the mouth. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:09pm
And why is he doing this smack dab in the middle of the living room?  Didn't he think this might be a job for the backyard or garage?

Never mind.  Ignore that comment.  I was trying to make sense out of total idiocy.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 4:19pm
Actually, this commercial is now old enough it would seem more logical they could make the sequel where the kid is lifting and dipping decrepit ol' Dad's feet in the InstySockGoo.
Or...if the kid never forgave Dad, he could be dipping him in 'head-first'... 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 2:41am
Beyond the "dumb daddy" angle, I'd like to point out they they are failing hard on the "trying to create a problem and then sell a solution" angle. Socks that don't conform to your feet? Huh? Who is having this problem? Are they wearing socks made of wood? Socks are ELASTIC and they conform to everyone's feet! I do not understand the point of this sock or any idiot who has this problem.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Agent_Sometime View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agent_Sometime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 9:18am
Out of all the socks I've had in my life, I had one pair that didn't shape to my feet. The bottoms would stay stretched out straight instead of going up with my arches. They're just weird. LOL

But, really, this should not be a common problem. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Beyond the "dumb daddy" angle, I'd like to point out they they are failing hard on the "trying to create a problem and then sell a solution" angle. Socks that don't conform to your feet? Huh? Who is having this problem? Are they wearing socks made of wood? Socks are ELASTIC and they conform to everyone's feet! I do not understand the point of this sock or any idiot who has this problem.

New socks are never a problem.  It's those socks from the 70s and 80s that one stubbornly refuses to throw away because they still work as a second pair to wear on cold days, that tend to be like cloth bags on one's feet.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Agent_Sometime Agent_Sometime wrote:

Out of all the socks I've had in my life, I had one pair that didn't shape to my feet. The bottoms would stay stretched out straight instead of going up with my arches. They're just weird. LOL

But, really, this should not be a common problem. 

Maybe it was too much starch.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic