Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crayola Crayon Maker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheerterror77@hotmai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:09am
Originally posted by Craftychiq Craftychiq wrote:

You know, I don't remember but I know the smell was pretty rank:-P Thing is the girl threw up a bright pink color which to this day I wonder what the hell did she eat?

She could have thrown up some bright pink gummie candies. Whenever I get sick with something that makes me throw up I love to eat gummie candy because it tastes great both ways and the neon colors look awesome regurgitated. Dead
Sponsored Links

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 11:02pm
I always feel like I am missing out on some kind of club because I didn't grow up Catholic.
I used to want to be catholic.

On the eating of childhood craft and play goods I must add Dr Pepper chap stick or any other tasting lip balm.
But Dr. Pepper always had my vote. Come to think of it, when I was REALLY little, good ol' camphor infused regular chap stick tasted kinda good to me.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

I always feel like I am missing out on some kind of club because I didn't grow up Catholic...
ShockedYOU AREN'T (preferably IRISH) CATHOLIC?!!!! WHY ARE YOU POSTING ON THIS BOARD???!!!  
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Sheerterror77@hotmai Sheerterror77@hotmai wrote:

Originally posted by Craftychiq Craftychiq wrote:

You know, I don't remember but I know the smell was pretty rank:-P Thing is the girl threw up a bright pink color which to this day I wonder what the hell did she eat?

She could have thrown up some bright pink gummie candies. Whenever I get sick with something that makes me throw up I love to eat gummie candy because it tastes great both ways and the neon colors look awesome regurgitated. Dead

I once sneezed purple metalflake.  It was winter in 1967, and I was painting a car model in a closed garage.  The car was a 1967 GTO, and the paint I'd sucked in was Testor's Grape Metalflake.

coolfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 8:36am
Originally posted by applepiemommy applepiemommy wrote:

At the risk of sounding like my grandpa, when *I* was a kid growing up in Arizona, we didn't need a fancy electronic crayon maker. We'd peel the labels off crayons, break them up, put them into molds, and set them outside for an hour or so. The 120 degree sun would melt them, then you take them back inside, and voila! A new crayon color. I did this with my kids last summer, although we used the oven instead of the sun. You sure don't need some fancy machine to do this. A toaster oven would work the same.

We tried that but without a mold... thats how we found out that the wax will seep into any cement surface and stain it good.
Worked great for pranks!
Lurker87 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 8:28pm
Interesting how this thread has gone to talking about what we have or have not eaten as kids.  Well, I'll tell you one thing that would not only allow for tons of fun, but also a great way of weeding out the gene pool... I used to love to randomly play with mercury from my mom's thermometers. Luckily, my parents found out about my enjoyment soon, though perhaps not soon enough o.O

I can just see it now... instead of those "wizard potions" in KB toys, it'd be "Martian Blood". Perhaps I am pulling a bit too much for natural selection nowadays... what d'ya think?
hissula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 7:37am
The kids in this commercial are 10 and 11. How do I know? Well, one of them is my daughter! Bikini Melon Sunshine girl! This toy is part of a new campaign to market toys for older kids. This product is targeted at 8-14 yr olds. It's actually the top rated toy for 2009.
 As for being believable......I think the concept of 4 friends sitting around a table coming up with ridiculous names for blended colors is very realistic. Spend some time with a group of creative kids and see for yourself!
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by hissula hissula wrote:

The kids in this commercial are 10 and 11. How do I know? Well, one of them is my daughter! Bikini Melon Sunshine girl! This toy is part of a new campaign to market toys for older kids. This product is targeted at 8-14 yr olds. It's actually the top rated toy for 2009.
 As for being believable......I think the concept of 4 friends sitting around a table coming up with ridiculous names for blended colors is very realistic. Spend some time with a group of creative kids and see for yourself!

That's uhhh....nice?   Again, though, I work with children and have yet to see anyone in the 10-14 age range interested in crayons.  I was a very creative person (still am).  I even had a few pieces of artwork displayed in our local art gallery when I was 12-14 years old, but was *not* interested in making crayons with boys at that age, lol. 

All of the reviews I have seen say that "My five year old loved this."  and so on, but most people say that this product is a pain in the ass.  Many have suggested putting crayon bits into muffin tins and baking them into "chunky crayons" instead.
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
applepiemommy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applepiemommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Gladystopia Gladystopia wrote:

Originally posted by applepiemommy applepiemommy wrote:

At the risk of sounding like my grandpa, when *I* was a kid growing up in Arizona, we didn't need a fancy electronic crayon maker. We'd peel the labels off crayons, break them up, put them into molds, and set them outside for an hour or so. The 120 degree sun would melt them, then you take them back inside, and voila! A new crayon color.
I tried this once. It didn't work.That may have been because I wasn't growing up in Arizona; I was growing up in Chicago. Also it was January.So basically, what I ended up with was a bunch of froze-ass crayons.After that, I just went inside and made fake boogers out of rubber cement...

What does Dr Traci have to say about it? http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Dr-Traci
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by aleen aleen wrote:

That's uhhh....nice?   Again, though, I work with children and have yet to see anyone in the 10-14 age range interested in crayons.  I was a very creative person (still am).  I even had a few pieces of artwork displayed in our local art gallery when I was 12-14 years old, but was *not* interested in making crayons with boys at that age, lol. 

All of the reviews I have seen say that "My five year old loved this."  and so on, but most people say that this product is a pain in the ass.  Many have suggested putting crayon bits into muffin tins and baking them into "chunky crayons" instead.

Aren't kids that old being "creative" on FaceBook nowadays? Or being creative with Photoshop on their computer. I dunno..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIW9cWWhkwQ 

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 10:58pm
They do both
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
MrButler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Formerly Angry Lil Fat Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrButler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Maybe they'll get the idea when they combine the pink crayons with the flesh crayons.
LOLLOL i thought they looked a bit old too
Auggie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 10:17am
"I once ate a purple crayon.  FYI...just because it's purple, doesn't mean it's grape."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. I always keep hand sanitizer around, especially at work. I happened to have a bottle of purple sanitizer. I had a mother & her 3 year old son come in. I purell-ed my hands, the Mom purell-ed her hands, and the boy held out his hands for me to squirt some in his palm....then he licked it! It was so pretty, he thought it was grape flavored.

Never again will I get colored hand sanitizer!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Auggie Auggie wrote:

"I once ate a purple crayon.  FYI...just because it's purple, doesn't mean it's grape."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. I always keep hand sanitizer around, especially at work. I happened to have a bottle of purple sanitizer. I had a mother & her 3 year old son come in. I purell-ed my hands, the Mom purell-ed her hands, and the boy held out his hands for me to squirt some in his palm....then he licked it! It was so pretty, he thought it was grape flavored.

Never again will I get colored hand sanitizer!

I remember, a few years ago, there was a news item about kids drinking the below detergent.  Can't say I blame 'em.  I've seen the product in stores, and thought it was some kind of beverage.

Umbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 2:55pm

And let me tell you, that campaign is not working. As someone very close to the targeted age range, I can say that no amount of advertising is going to make crayons appealing to anyone older than your kids. Sure, the basic concept is realistic, just not for anyone of that age.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 3:06pm
I see you're 15, Umbee.  I checked because you don't write like you're 15.  Keep it up!  Thumbs%20Up

Jeff98177 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff98177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 1:30am
I've always wondered if "bikini melon sunshine" was scripted or if the girl ad-libbed it on the spot. Hissula, what's the answer?
Personally, I think this toy has potential, but I can't help but wonder how long it'd take before the kids get bored with melting crayons and look for other things to melt?
Life is like the game of baseball, except that in life, there's no infield fly rule.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Jeff98177 Jeff98177 wrote:

Personally, I think this toy has potential, but I can't help but wonder how long it'd take before the kids get bored with melting crayons and look for other things to melt?

Right about now.
TeamEdward1976 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamEdward1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 9:47pm

Oh the things they comeout with these days!

Julie
hissula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 7:02am
The entire commercial was ad-libbed except for "Bikin Melon Sunshine". It was the only thing they scripted. Those kids were on set for 10 hours during a heat wave. They were remarkable to say the least! As for the toy...it actually kept their attention. Sure...I get that it seems a bit odd that 10-12 yr old kids are having so much fun with crayons, but it's true. As for thinking up other things to melt.....well, my daughter is 10 going on 14.....she thinks it would be great to melt down old lipsticks and make her own colors! Cool! Clap
Jeff98177 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff98177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 3:33pm

As for thinking up other things to melt.....well, my daughter is 10 going on 14.....she thinks it would be great to melt down old lipsticks and make her own colors! Cool! Clap

LOL She has a great future in marketing! As kids outgrow this thing, they can put it to new uses.
Life is like the game of baseball, except that in life, there's no infield fly rule.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic