Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[[POLL]] Generic or Not??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: When at the store do you mostly buy:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
9 [30.00%]
21 [70.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TeamEdward1976 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamEdward1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [[POLL]] Generic or Not??
    Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by TeamEdward1976 TeamEdward1976 wrote:

Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

Mostly I would get generic. Ketchup is Ketchup, Sugar is Sugar, Coffee is Coffee, but when it comes to pop it has to be a name-brand because generic pop tastes like swill.

My grandma...she has to have a Name Brand.

This has to be her soap....
This has to be her shampoo.... (do they make this shampoo anymore)?
This has to be her mayo....
And this has to be her sugar.... (sorry, this was the only commercial that I could find).
Yeah,I think they still make Prell!I'll look for you the next time,I'm at work at Kroger!
I rung up some prell a few days ago,so they still make it.
Julie
Sponsored Links

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamEdward1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 5:15am
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

Mostly I would get generic. Ketchup is Ketchup, Sugar is Sugar, Coffee is Coffee, but when it comes to pop it has to be a name-brand because generic pop tastes like swill.

And this has to be her sugar.... (sorry, this was the only commercial that I could find).
Yeah,I think they still make Prell!I'll look for you the next time,I'm at work at Kroger!
Julie
SokMunkie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SokMunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 7:51pm
As far as diapers, the only time I ever bought the name brand was when the kids were newborns.  The first size in the generics is too big for a newborn.  But now it's generic all the way.

I shop at a discount store so 90% of their stock is generic/store brand.  The only thing I really insist on buying name brand of is Kraft Mayo.  It makes great BLTs!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamEdward1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 7:51pm

Well.most of the time,I buy generic,but,occasionally I'll get the name brand if we have a good sale on it at Kroger.Also like,some of you have pointed out,some name brands are better.

Julie
rickhamilton620 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickhamilton620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 4:43am
I don't mind buying generic items. :D I find that the cost savings outweigh any potential off tastes. Some things I don't skimp on though:

Pringles-I tried my job's brand and while they're ok, it's just not the same. Ermm

Sneakers- Vans, Nike, and Etnies FTW!

Oreos- Can't replicate them...i've tried Wal-Mart's, CVS's, and Giant's (local grocery store chain)

That's all i can think of atm, I really don't mind using generic things like plates and such, or condiments, bread, etc. It's a smart way to save money. :)
booboo12 on NBR :D ;)
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 5:19am

Almost totally generic, except for a few things (Hellman's mayo in our house too, Oreos, a few others). Most stuff, I can't taste the difference.

With TP, my wife is a "must be 2-ply" fanatic, while I insist on something that totally disintegrates in water, to protect our septic system. Giant Food's store brand TP is one of the best rated for that.
Hundreds of threads killed.
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 3:38am
If you've been reading me for a while you know I'm a HUGE toilet paper advocate, and even I have switched to the terrible Costco brand. Cheap toilet paper is more compatible with my wife's "price is right" toilet paper spin and her "make a football" wiping method.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 12:59pm
Thor,

I know, and have tried some of the "good stuff", but I can get a huge bag of Dunkin at Costco and it makes me happy (and wired). Wacko
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Hoot, visit some of the hipper-than-thou towns in California, and you'll find that many of these urban sophisticates would never, but never, allow Starbucks coffee (let alone Dunkin' Donuts or the store brands) to so much as touch their lips.  They wouldn't settle for anything lesser than Peet's.  All else is for the plebs and the rubes.
LOLThat's funny, Thor...standard Cali-style; it'd be fun to experiment with one - drop him in NYC - say, Penn Station - and see if he dies from lack of 'cute coffee' before not being saved from muggers by NYPD. I doubt much has changed, but Dunkin' pretty much rules in NYC. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 6:23am
Mr. Cleveland, my mother was like that.  We used the same brands of everything the entire time I was growing up. 

And yes...Prell was the shampoo for that generation.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 6:15am
Hoot, visit some of the hipper-than-thou towns in California, and you'll find that many of these urban sophisticates would never, but never, allow Starbucks coffee (let alone Dunkin' Donuts or the store brands) to so much as touch their lips.  They wouldn't settle for anything lesser than Peet's.  All else is for the plebs and the rubes.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 9:19pm
Mr C....coffee is not just coffee.  There is a huge difference between store brand and "Dunkin Donuts" for example.
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 9:10pm

Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 2:04pm
We buy generic light bulbs.

(hey, that gives me an idea!Lamp)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 11:39am
Are you threatening me??? Hee hee hee...

He said bullsh*t.

Yeah, yeah, I heard him too!

Fire!
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 2:42pm
That God someone else got that, I was beginning to think everybody here was too high falutin' for B&B. LOL
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 12:58pm
I need TP for my bung hole! Bungholio...
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 12:42am
Hmmmm, the brand I buy come preforated(I don't have spell check btwWink) in exact half sheets. I can pull off 1/2 sheet/ whole sheet/ sheet & 1/2..... whatever.
I can wipe my hands or the cat's food bowl, etc./etc. with a half sheet rather than using a full sheet.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

paper towels (Bounty- but NOT that waste of money "choose a size" bullsh*t, whoever came up with that scam is an evil marketing genius), 

Please explain. I always buy store brand choose a size.

Choose a size is evil, and it was no doubt created by the devil herself. How often do you use just one paper towel in that smaller "choose a size" roll? Me- not often at all. At the least (for covering soup in the nuclear device, etc.) I need a full "standard" sheet, so the smaller "C.A.S." sheet won't do the job. But using two is MORE than I need, and it is evil. I even wrote them an email about it. They sent me coupons but no apology. Oh well.

Here was the email:
Dear Sir or Madam,

I must say I am both in awe, and angered by your "Chose A Size" paper towels.

In awe because whoever conceived this idea must be a marketing genius- despite his or her deviousness, I must give credit where credit is due.

Angered because of how totally wasteful and expensive your product becomes when I fail to see the 1.5" by 2" logo indicating it is the "Choose A Size" version of your paper towel and accidentally grab it while in a hurry at the store.

Who actually uses only one of those sheets? Seriously? The devilish creator knew to make the single sheets larger than half a normal sheet, knowing it would be completely useless on its own, but to use two sheets would be much more than a single sheet of the standard product- thus making the user go through more paper towels quicker. This is criminally genius, and you should really watch the designer to make sure he or she is not absconding with untold embezzled funds from your company.

I won't feign stupidity and ask why the logo indicating that this is Satan's Paper Towel of choice isn't larger so as to be more noticeable, as I am sure you would never answer truthfully and admit that if people didn't buy this product by accident, your sales would be much lower.

Despite your deceptive marketing and design practices, I am still somewhat loyal to your product as it just plains works well. So kudos for quality, despite my outrage over being (repeatedly) duped into buying a product that is at best useless in its singular form, and at worst an abomination from the pits of the underworld that is causing an acceleration in our worldwide depletion of natural resources.

Sincerely,
RC
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 10:25pm
[QUOTE=RichardCranium] paper towels (Bounty- but NOT that waste of money "choose a size" bullsh*t, whoever came up with that scam is an evil marketing genius), /QUOTE]

Please explain. I always buy store brand choose a size.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 6:37am
I have mentioned before, I almost always choose the Kroger brands. Their frozen vegetables are better than Green Giant; the soups are the same as Campbells; the cleaning supplies are every bit as good as any major competitor. And now that they have started branching out to Organic, we have it made.

The only national brand items I insist on are TP for my bunghole (Cottonelle or Charmin), paper towels (Bounty- but NOT that waste of money "choose a size" bullsh*t, whoever came up with that scam is an evil marketing genius), and frozen pizza (Freschetta brick oven).
youabear View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

As for the poll, I almost always use store brands unless the name brand is on sale cheaper than the store brand.

Some examples are... dry roased peanuts, potato chips, soda pop, frozen pizza, frozen waffles, ice cream sandwiches, cereal, some cold cuts, )tube biscuits, paper products. Used to buy store brand peanut butter until I switched to Smart Balance.

Some things I won't buy store brand are cat food & canned soup.

Canned soup??? Tell me about it! I just had my tonsils taken out and bought a wal-mart brand cream soups (ex: Cream of Mushroom, etc)
I swear, it was a torchure!Dead I mean walmart does a good job immitating, but this one was just a joke. Any way you heat it up, its lumpy, tastes like pure starch and.. well.. bad! Dead  I was so shocked! Dead
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:22am
As for the poll, I almost always use store brands unless the name brand is on sale cheaper than the store brand.

Some examples are... dry roased peanuts, potato chips, soda pop, frozen pizza, frozen waffles, ice cream sandwiches, cereal, some cold cuts, tube biscuits, paper products. Used to buy store brand peanut butter until I switched to Smart Balance.

Some things I won't buy store brand are cat food & canned soup.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:12am
I use store brand TP made of recycled paper.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
youabear View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 11:54pm
LOL well thank you guys! Big%20smile

I see how this conversation quickly swiveled its way towards the TP.

Yes , surely I cannot stand the cheap TP and cheap paper towels.

I always thought Viva has an unusual consistency, too smooth to scrub the dirt off the stove top etc. So I like Bounty Basic.

..and for TP I like Angel Soft Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic