Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AT&T Commercial - Invisible Cord

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roszikansz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AT&T Commercial - Invisible Cord
    Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 9:19pm

In the commercial, it shows some guy who looks 50-60 and is purposely made to look a little like a nerd, and he's baffled by wireless internet, so his daughter (or grand daughter; she's a preteen) explains, "It's an invisible cord." and that settles it.

Is anyone really that stupid? In all of the years that we have been sending information through the air, this guy never managed to grasp the concept? Does he think there's people in his car radio? Does he assume that his TV shows come through the electric cord? Is he still using a 60's TV that doesn't come with a remote control? It's so annoyingly ridiculous, it's as bad as the asian guy / white guy commercials. (read about this at http://forums.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5823)

And at the end of the commercial, he says, "I want my own invisible cord," and the girl replies in this snappy kind of manner, "You already have one!" The way she says it sounds like she's "zinging" him, so it seems to me like she's talking about his penis, you know, like she's saying it's invisible? But of course, I don't thing a young girl would be telling an old man this. It really doesn't make sense, but neither does the rest of this commercial...
Sponsored Links

RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 9:29pm
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate this commercial like I hate the pool boy who always seems to show up when it's time for me to go to work despite us not having a pool.... but I digress.

I wanted to post about this one when I was posting about the smart Asian guy hanging out with the dumb white guy commercial, but I was chastised for daring to post anything negative about the all-mighty AT&T because I am a newbie so I was skerred.Tongue

Thanks for bringing this up!
Unlucky Wren View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unlucky Wren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 10:50pm
Yes!

Oh, goodness gracious, how I hate this commercial! "Our invisible cord is really long!" And he just nods like he understands it now. What are they doing in a cafe-looking place with their laptops anyways? It's not as if they're hipsters writing the "next big screenplay." If I brought my laptop on a family outing and started watching videos, I would have it taken away.

But then, the mom isn't apparently very aware either. She's brought her own laptop to watch videos, ignoring the fact they're essentially shutting him out (treating him as a servant even! Who's gone to get the drinks?)

Naturally, "dumb dad" is an incapable parent. He doesn't deserve an invisible cord. Go back to your obsolete rock!!
Wait, what?
TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 11:20pm
I also hate this commercial. Stop it, AT&T, you're looking pathetic!
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
msmith View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 10:50pm
Dad: Where's her cord?

Mom should have said: They cut is right after she was born.  Where've you been?
DollMaker66 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DollMaker66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by roszikansz roszikansz wrote:

Is anyone really that stupid? In all of the years that we have been sending information through the air, this guy never managed to grasp the concept? Does he think there's people in his car radio? Does he assume that his TV shows come through the electric cord? Is he still using a 60's TV that doesn't come with a remote control? It's so annoyingly ridiculous, it's as bad as the asian guy / white guy commercials. (read about this at http://forums.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5823)

Umm, yeah, you'd be surprised at how computer illiterate ALOT of people really are. 

I worked at a call center with my brother several years ago and we used to try to outdo each other every week with a sort of "what was your dumbest call this week" comparison.  LOL  And I'm not talking about someone that's classified as "not familiar with computers".  Everyone has to start somewhere when it comes to computers.  I'm talking about people that shouldn't even HAVE computers 'cause they're just braindead when it comes to doing ANYTHING with a computer. 

Here's just one little excerpt of someone's conversation that was actually on a call being helped by a tech to troubleshoot his computer...

TECH:  Okay, did you right click on "My Computer"?
CUST:  Yes, but I told you, nothing happened!
TECH:  ~sigh~  Alright, are you at the desktop, you know, the screen you see when you start the computer?
CUST:  Yes.
TECH:  Okay, do you see in the UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER where it says MY COMPUTER under the picture of the computer?
CUST:  Yes.
TECH:  Okay, I want you to RIGHT CLICK on MY COMPUTER and you should see a little box with writing in it pop up...do you see that???
CUST:  No!!  I don't see anything like that, I told you this already!!
TECH:  ~~loosing patience quickly~~  Okay, are you putting your mouse cursor on MY COMPUTER "BEFORE" you right click on it???
CUST:  Uh, why would I do that??
TECH:  ~~thinking, aha, that's the problem~~ You have to do that to get the box to pop up.
CUST:  Okay, I did it, but nothing is happening....I don't understand you keep telling me to write click on my computer, and I wrote it right over the MY COMPUTER picture like you said, but nothing is still happening, I don't understand..~~~more babbling from customer which TECH no longer hears as he's banging his head on the desk while ripping his hair out.   LOL

~~~~True story as told to us by our team leader as newbies on the floor~~~~

And that one's nothing...I've got DOZENS of stories like this, TRUE stories of actual calls that my brother and I have taken, that if someone had told me about it second hand, I'd have thought they were either lying or exaggerating.   I would've NEVER thought people could be that dumb.

JaxTonyPiper View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxTonyPiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 6:33am
Dumb daddy strikes again.

The mother and daughter must've got this incredible service while daddy was camatose.... or in the shower.  I get the feeling they could pretty much start World War III without him knowing.
    What kind of household lets a family get a service like this where only 1 parent and sassy (read: abortion justification) daughter are privy to it's benefits?

f**king hate this one, too.... Glad I'm not the only one.
youabear View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 10:53pm
Oh man, I just posted about this here yesterday Unhappy

http://forums.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5952
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 11:52pm
"Write click"  HAAAAA!
ambrosia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 5:54pm
This commercial is getting on my last nerve and they play it ALL the time!! I am so sick of the dumbing down of dads in commercials, like it's supposed to be funny! I mean, how DUMB is he!? It's just not even possible someone of that age would have to have wireless internet explained by an "invisible cord" analogy...by his tween daughter!
aspie1966 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspie1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 11:01pm
Is it just me or does the girl cop an attitude when the dad says, "I want my own invisible cord" and the girl gets all bitchy and says, "You already have one"?
LilRebelChick View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 1:56am
Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate this commercial like I hate the pool boy who always seems to show up when it's time for me to go to work despite us not having a pool.... but I digress.

I wanted to post about this one when I was posting about the smart Asian guy hanging out with the dumb white guy commercial, but I was chastised for daring to post anything negative about the all-mighty AT&T because I am a newbie so I was skerred.Tongue

Thanks for bringing this up!

Seriously, they have a problem with someone posting about AT&T? Lol, guess I'll have to post something on it then, lol. Wink
Give us a kiss!
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 2:32am
Yeah...this commercial is total ear hurt!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Taylor510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 12:11am
Thank you so much for hating this commercial!!  It is so damn offensive; it's like "here's a dumb white male" who has no concept of technology.  I'm only 29 and it  offends ME!!!  Somebody respond to me taylor_johnson_1@yahoo.com
mst3k4evr View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mst3k4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 1:16am
As I said in another thread about this same commercial, I see it during what seems like every commercial break on my local channels. It's a three-year-old commercial so that's girl's probably 16 or 17 now.
Audry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 3:35am
I think the daughter is kinda cute....
Audry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 3:38am
really cute, really.
Audry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 3:40am
but she is sooo cute...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 2:36pm
But, do ya think she's cute?

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 9:18am

I had no idea the commercial was 3 years old.  i thought it was recent because I just saw it this year and didn't see it in 2009. Confused  Anyways, the snappy tone she says to the man could be implied that she was annoyed by him asking so many questions about the technology.  Actually a realistic response from her.Smile

My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

TheNilvarg View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNilvarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 12:35am
I'm sick of commercials where youths are constantly trying to show up their elders, talking to them with a snide, sarcastic attitude and treating them like idiots. These little brats should have their mouths slapped right off.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 2:21am
AT&T is ridiculous. Most of their commercials center on the idea that we're ALL robotic slaves to social media like Facebook or Twitter, and that we all would kill for an extra 3 or 4 seconds of speed on our Internet connections.
mst3k4evr View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mst3k4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 11:28pm
There's another AT&T commercial that my local stations air all the time (the "double bundle" commercial that ends with a guy with curly hair and a messy-looking beard coming into his parent's house and telling them he's moving back in) and I swear that the woman in the commercial is the same woman in the "invisible cord" commercial.

(I've been unsuccessful in finding both commercials online, so I have to rely on people here that also have had the misfortune of seeing these over and over again to tell me if I'm right or not.)
john koenig View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john koenig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 12:02am
Originally posted by mst3k4evr mst3k4evr wrote:

There's another AT&T commercial that my local stations air all the time (the "double bundle" commercial that ends with a guy with curly hair and a messy-looking beard coming into his parent's house and telling them he's moving back in) and I swear that the woman in the commercial is the same woman in the "invisible cord" commercial.

(I've been unsuccessful in finding both commercials online, so I have to rely on people here that also have had the misfortune of seeing these over and over again to tell me if I'm right or not.)
AT&T loves trashing husbands and fathers. Do they have a clue how much business this costs them?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic